PDA

View Full Version : Help from all you computer design experts?

JDPratt
08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I am going to try this again and hopefully I can explain it better. Hopefully some of you CAD or computer experts can shed some light on dilemma.
Is there software out there that can take several digital images, mesh them together, import them into a 3D imaging program, and then save as a .STL?
I heard a rumor this was possible, but alas, I am tech stupid. I want to be able to take photos of large things, make 3D images of them on the computer, save as an .stl and then import into CW. Are people just blowing smoke up my “you-know-what”, is this feasible, or am I stuck looking for a several thou$and dollar laser to scan these items.
One reason which leads me to think it might be possible to do this is the patterns/images that already exist on line. How did the original image get there? Did someone take a laser scan of a dead fish and then import into 3D imaging software so that LRW could help us all with those patterns? If they drew it in the software, how did they get it so right that a Bass looks like a bass? Surely, there was a picture somewhere that someone used or designed. Sorry for the lack of tech savvy, but this has been eating at me. I am willing to spend the money on this kind of software and try to learn how to use it, but a several thousand dollar laser scan device may be a stretch. I think the ability to take digital images, mesh them together, make .STL’s and carve on the CW would really open up the possibilities of what could be carved.

James RS
08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Hello,
There was such a thing discussed in this topic http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12036

Old Salt
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Lots Of Things Can Be Scaned With The Probe For Under 300.00'
It Works Well For Us None Coumputor Kids

Hang In There

LittleRedWoodshop
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
The STLs that I am posting are mostly 3D files that someone built in a piece of software. If you look closely at the bass you can see the indivdual polygons (triangles) that make up the model. I have been playing with a FREE piece of software that has really helped me understand how these things are put together, why they work and realize that some are much better than others.

Most of the files that I am using are 3DS or DAE files that I have converted to STL with the same software.

Note: if a model says low poly on it you might want to stay away from those. Some of the files that I have found have more than 30,000 and upto 70,000 polygons. Do a little looking around for 3DS and DAE files and I think you'll have alot more luck.

Free Software (http://site.littleredwoodshop.info/Free_Stuff_-_Software.html)

jpaluck
08-22-2009, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=JDPratt;100723] Did someone take a laser scan of a dead fish and then import into 3D imaging software so that LRW could help us all with those patterns? If they drew it in the software, how did they get it so right that a Bass looks like a bass? Surely, there was a picture somewhere that someone used or designed. QUOTE]

JD

Alot of times or most of the times there is a photo or several photos used as an image reference when 3d modelling. They are placed in the background and used as reference when placing polygons or nurbs to form the object. You have to place the polygons and manipulate the edges faces and vertices to acheive the shape you want. The image is only used for reference meaning the photo does not create the mesh or manipulate the mesh into a shape. There are several 3d programs out there ranging from 79 bucks to several thousands of dollars. Me personally I use sever different programs. Moi 3d, zbrush, silo,ac 3d, and 3d max. For purposes of the CW I think Max might be overkill because there are so many features that you will never use for the CW such as animation. All these features drive the price tag up. Silo is 100 bucks and a great modeller that will export stl.

Hope this helps

jpaluck
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
The STLs that I am posting are mostly 3D files that someone built in a piece of software. If you look closely at the bass you can see the indivdual polygons (triangles) that make up the model. I have been playing with a FREE piece of software that has really helped me understand how these things are put together, why they work and realize that some are much better than others.

Most of the files that I am using are 3DS or DAE files that I have converted to STL with the same software.

Note: if a model says low poly on it you might want to stay away from those. Some of the files that I have found have more than 30,000 and upto 70,000 polygons. Do a little looking around for 3DS and DAE files and I think you'll have alot more luck.

Free Software (http://site.littleredwoodshop.info/Free_Stuff_-_Software.html)

Jason

On the low poly models if you have a modelling program download one and then when in your modelling program turn up your subdivision levels and save it out. This should fix some of the probs you have had with low poly models.

JDPratt
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Sorry so long to reply and clarify. I make it a habit to take weekends completely away from the shop since I am in here 8-10 hours a day during the week.

I have the scanning probe, but it will not work for the things I am doing because of the size.

Since this type of software does not exist, does anyone have any experience with the laser scan devices that can recommend one (preferably cheap). It would have to be a scanner that is not attached to a table. The things I want to scan are large. This is really not the route I want to go, but I will weigh the costs and then make a decision.

HighTechOkie
08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
NextEngine's desktop 3d scanner is about the cheapest option out there. It is $3,000 for the unit and another $1,000 for the HD Pro software for scanning larger areas. I have not used their scanner, so I don't know if all their claims are true or not. I have seen several negative reviews, but I think that comes from the same group that bash the CW/CC. Newbies who buy the cheapest thing and have zero experience in how to use the product(and software) with the expectation that it is as simple to use as a toaster.

Depending on how many products you need to scan, it is probably better to contract out the work to someone who has a scanner and knows how to clean up the scans.

Rob

JDPratt
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input. I think you are right about this being cost prohibitive. I don't know if contracting it out is a viable option though. One of the things I wanted to scan was a human head, which then could be carved into a bust (so to speak). I think a CW carve of a kids head would be a great keepsake for parents or Grand parents. Rather that a picture or baby shoes. Would make a pretty neat hat rack too.

Chief38
08-24-2009, 09:37 PM
You may want to look at a couple of fairly inexpensive programs like FaceShopPro or Faceworx which can make a lightwave object file from pictures of a human head. These lwo files than can be imported into a 3d modeling program and from there exported as an stl file.

Herb