PDA

View Full Version : CW watts

roughcut
08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Just a bit of interesting information I bought a watt meter.
to check how much it really cost to carve a project.
My Dust collector a 2hp on 120v measured 1,050 watts
My Carvewright while carving measured around 850 watts.
tampa electric charges per kilowat costs
First 1,000kw @ $.05272
fuel charge @ $.04799
Total Per. KW = $10071

Over 1,000kw @$.06272 Per kwh
Fuel charge @$.05799 Per kwh
total per kwh = $12.071

So to do a project I would estimate it costs about $.24 cents an hour

Wilbur
08-21-2009, 09:22 AM
2 hp will = 1492 watts 746 W per hp at no load. You add load and the watts go up.

The 850 for the CW plus 1492 for the DC, a total of 2342 watts devide this by 1000 for KW = 4.684 kw per hr x .10 per KW = .47 per hr x the no. of hr run, say 5 hr would cost you 2.35 to run for 5 hr

You are very close and may be right depending on the volts and type of wood you carve but close enough to know that it does cost and that has to be added in.

Around here there is no way I could charge what I hear some charging. No way can I make any money on my CC even when getting my wood from the saw mill.

I have to enjoy this as a hobby and hope I can make something if only to pay for my hobby.

I make a lot more building cedar cheat and swings.

Wilbur

brdad
08-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a Kill A Watt (http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html) kilowatt hour meter I have used on my CW several times. The CW by itself is very low cost to run IMO. Here's a previous post of mine which gives an example:

I remember reading a few questions regarding how much power the CW uses. This morning while carving Jeff Birt's apple project, I hooked the CW up to my watt-hour meter to find out.

The project took about 1.5 hours to carve, but I had the machine on for another 15 minutes or so during setup and to square the board. The board was pine so it carved easily.

When the cut motor was not running, current draw was low, about 2 amps. On start up, the cut motor peaked at 10 amps momentarily, but dropped quickly to about 4.5 amps, whether it was carving wood or in the air. Once in a while the machine would bump up to 5 amps, but it was rare. I imagine it would be slightly higher when carving higher density woods, and will be sure to test it when I carve something harder.

And the most important number I like to know is how many kilowatt-hours the machine uses while carving a project - The CW used just under 0.5 kilowatt-hours of power to create the apple project. Here in Maine, with a price of about 12 cents per KWH, that calculates to about 6 cents of electricity to make the apple. Cheap enough!

Wilbur
08-22-2009, 09:00 AM
That is nice. I could have used one of those back when I worked with the power Comp.
I was in meters and sub stations and had to calculate using vote and amp meter.
How things change.
Wilbur

wasacop75
08-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Its not so much the cost of the electricity as much as the cost of the machine. The initial cost of the machine with all the goddies is what needs to be figured into the cost of products.
At least IMO.;)

brdad
08-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Its not so much the cost of the electricity as much as the cost of the machine. The initial cost of the machine with all the goddies is what needs to be figured into the cost of products.
At least IMO.;)

That's the conclusion I came to as well, but without having an idea how much it cost to run one cannot always be sure.

I have used my meter on a lot of stuff around the home with often surprising results. My microwave, for example, costs me less then 20 cents a month, and it gets used quite a bit. My computer desk and everything on it runs closer to 20 dollars. I probably use more electricity creating a project on designer than I use to carve the project!

Wilbur
08-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I would have though the computer desk I have and it may be about what you have would not cost that much.
I do know that these things can be surprising.

Wilbur

wasacop75
08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
We all in our own way think of the cost of making projects.
Electricity, the machine, wood, mistakes, patterns, time.and the list goes on and one. There is no set way to say "This is what to charge".

TerryT
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
If you try to cover all contingencies your price would probably be so high you would never sell anything. Figure your labor and costs, set a fair price and if it isn't enough you will know soon enough. Adding everything including wear and tear on your paint brush may be good for accountants but not much good for wood workers.

roughcut
08-23-2009, 09:11 PM
:)We probably would have a hard time finding a skilled woodworker to carve our projects for 24 cents an hour and no overtime,health care or retirement package. I think I am satisfied with the CW.

geekviking
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
HERE! HERE!

(I second THAT!)