PDA

View Full Version : Train layout models

leesheridan
08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm currently working on a couple of model train layouts in HO, O, & N scale and was wondering if any one has carved any buildings or anything else for such.
Thanks

Carve Daddy
08-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I,m still in the "design" stage for N scale buildings....working on 12 of them.
If they turn out, I will post the files....:-D

mtylerfl
08-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I've been researching the idea of designing model railroad "stuff" off and on for quite awhile. (One of the folks at LHR had asked me to consider designing railroad items that modelers would like.) I just need to figure out the "best" scale to design in, and make my best guess as to desirable types of buildings and accessories that model railroaders would desire. I don't have plans to design in "all" the scales - just the most predominate.

I have visited our local hobby shop and taken a look at the HO scale stuff they have. The "kit" buildings they had in the shop are stamped or molded from 1/8" thick plastic sheets. Lots of fine detail on some of them that I'm not sure could be matched with the CW - but, then again, I was quite amazed at the detail the CW achieved when I designed and carved my Victorian House project a couple years ago!

Material for carving the building facades is another consideration. In lieu of plastic sheets (which would melt during carving) I was thinking of 1/8" aircraft ply. I have never tried carving on 1/8" ply, so not sure how that will work out. Perhaps 1/8" high density hardboard might be better?? - I don't know - seems like hardboard would fuzz up too much, and it seems to me the ply would be prone to chipout on fine lines and details. Won't know 'til I actually run some tests.

I was told by a fellow who has been a MR (Model Railroader) most of his life that HO scale is by far the most popular. As I understand it, HO is approx. 1/87th scale. He said he likes to do mostly narrow gauge mountain layouts, so he doesn't need a lot of buildings himself. He did say that "regular" HO gauge hobbyists are more "citified" and use a lot more buildings in their layouts due to the more urban theme.

Any feedback/suggestions from any model railroaders out there will be greatly appreciated.:)

LittleRedWoodshop
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I started collecting model trains when I was about 8 years old and would have to say that HO is byyyyy far (by like 100 miles) the most popular scale. But, if they were set up as carves for the CarveWright wouldn't folks be able to scale them to fit their own preference and layout? Just thinking outloud there. You make those models and I know that I will have to have them.

As far as where to start - I would think that a nice Depot would be a great place to start. "ALL ABOARRRRRRD!"

liquidguitars
08-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Cool beans,

I was a big HO fan as a kid. made a few wooden bridges and tunnel casements for the kids when we were younger. Just gave my son a old new stock AMD slotcar HO set for his son last week! good times..

LG

geekviking
08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Nice flashbacks for me as well!
Had HO & N myself, my first was a N sized "toys R us" lionel...
I can't remember how many different slot tracks I've had. :)

LittleRedWoodshop
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
to go to the local grocery store and the owner was a train freak. He had like an 8x8 feel diplay set up right inside the entrance. It was a circus scene - mom always knew where we were. The worlds best babysitter for little boys.

leesheridan
08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I was gone for a couple of days and missed out on the action here. I still have my first O scale that I got for Christmas in 1954. Even the box is in great shape, with the price tag of $15.00
I started up in N scale a few years ago but I came out of retirement for the cattle but I can't play there any more so I'm going to retire again and go back to my trains.
Yes by far HO has the market somewhere around 34% over all other scales. Building to HO scale would then pick up the OO scale market that has been coming this way which is big in the UK. When my dad died a few years ago I got all the HO sets and items I gave him over the years. So I want to build a two tier track for the HO that will be about 8'x16'. Our tack shed which I've rebuilt will be the new home for track central, it's 13'x24'. It was an old Forestry building that someone before me moved here to our ranch. I just have to make a wood stove out of an older large air compressor.
Building to HO and OO has another market somewhat in the idea that the new SO3 scale is basic O scale ran on HO track, but it's still so new that it's something down the road. I've purchased a couple of new HO buildings that I would like to scan into the CW just to get it into the machine and see what I can do to change, but not to rob a pattern. I went to the York Railroad Museum a couple of weeks ago while we were in the UK and the market for their OO and all other scales are big there. There was an American HO engine and tender the other day on e-bay that went for $610.00. So this stuff is going big even in today's market. There are even some listed for over $1000.00 and buy now.
Michael, I for one would love to see what you could come up with. I have some 1/8" fir that I was going to try and carve into. But it's like someone telling me to jump and on the way up you tell me how high. You have done a lot for our CW world, and opened a lot of eyes.

leesheridan
08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Michael
Just another thought, the majority of the buildings in the model train market as is most other "toy" market they'er all plastic. And the end item when assembled, those that are in to the true aspect of the hobby airbrush their buildings as well as their high priced trains to make them look used. With that in mind it's much easier to work in wood than plastic, and the end item can have that look much easier and a better than plastic can.

STEAM
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
HDU is being used to make G scale buildings for Garden layouts. It mills extremely well and holds detail nicely. The downside is that it is rather pricey. I don't have a train layout but do use HDU for projects and really like it
Here is a link to a site that sells building kits made from HDU. You may get some good ideas from there.

http://www.rainbowridgekits.com/welcome.htm

leesheridan
08-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Tim
I just got back again. The link you provided has some great stuff. The detail is very good. With the garden or outside train it would be a big factor for an outside system, for the inside HO/OO and N scales going with that material would be rather pricey. I did just get home and I now have the material for the bench work.
thanks

badger
08-25-2009, 03:36 AM
I would think you could come up with some amazing bridge designs for a layout. Would give you more advantage building your own design for length over having to match one bought.

mtylerfl
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
HDU is being used to make G scale buildings for Garden layouts. It mills extreme well and holds detail nicely. The downside is that it is rather pricey. I don't have a train layout but do use HDU for projects and really like it
Here is a link to a site that sells building kits made from HDU. You may get some good ideas from there.

http://www.rainbowridgekits.com/welcome.htm

Excellent link, Tim. Thank you.

Dan-Woodman
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Here is a bridge I designed in designer. It's not to any scale, but it fits the "BRYER" horses.

RayTrek
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Leesheridan,

Have really enjoyed what this thread has sparked with imagination.
Thanks ~ Ray

leesheridan
08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
It seem that I have to go and can't get back to the forum for a day or two. Dan I think the bridge is usable. I ordered a small building in HO scale and it arrived to day. And yes it was broken in half due to packaging. That was the one I was going to scan. It was a church. Maybe God was trying to tell me something. What, I don't know. But I'm still going to trry and get the size of windows, doors and everything else scanned.