PDA

View Full Version : 1/16 cutting bit

dbfletcher
08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I recently ordered the 1/16 cutting bit from LHR. I just noticed that it doesnt seem to be in my bit selections from the designer program. I am running the latest 1.152. Is there somethign I have to do to add this bit? or do you select the 1/8 cutting bit and then have to use an offset to get it to "cut" accurately.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I recently ordered the 1/16 cutting bit from LHR. I just noticed that it doesnt seem to be in my bit selections from the designer program. I am running the latest 1.152. Is there somethign I have to do to add this bit? or do you select the 1/8 cutting bit and then have to use an offset to get it to "cut" accurately.

Doug Fletcher
Check again.
Draw a circle (any closed figure) and then click on the Cut-out Icon. The bit selection is at the top of that screen. Click on the elevator (arrow) and the 1/16" bit appears as a choice. When you select it the screen will warn you, in RED, if your board is too thick.
AskBud

dbfletcher
08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Gotcha... i was still stuck back in the days we had to create our own cut tabs when using a sled. I was thinking it would show in the "bit" selection. I find it a littel odd that it isnt though. Would selecting the 1/16 ball nose be ok?

LittleRedWoodshop
08-19-2009, 09:43 PM
the 1/16h cutting bit and you want to select it correctly. The feedrate is determined by the bit selection - so to minimize the stress on a bit you need to select the correct one. It is set up that way in the software because it is only used for a cut path. If you do it right you can get some great results.

http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/04/28/42/indian10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=381&u=14042842)

This was cut from 1/8th baltic birch

AskBud
08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Back up:
Exactly what are you trying to do? Cutting bits are specifically designed to do cut-out work. The 1/16" Cutting bit has a depth limit of about (.3).

Perhaps we need to see your design and an explanation of how/what you want to do with the 1/16" bit
AskBud

dbfletcher
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm ok with just using it for "cut path operation".... I still seem to flip back and forth sometimes in designer between cut path and simply assigning a bit to geometry. I guess i shoulld play with the new create tab function becuase sometime I want to exactly place my tabs. AFAIK, I cant do that with cut path... but creating your own tabs the "old" way.. you could.. so maybe create tabs is my answer?

I was thinking that with that thou you "carve" away the region and just leave your "man made tabs".... so with that being said... maybe make tabs isnt the answer?

Have I confused everyone now or does anyone still follow me? I guess i cold create a sample mpc that would better explain my thoughts

Doug Fletcher

LittleRedWoodshop
08-19-2009, 10:23 PM
scatching head..... naybe that would be best. I think I followed that - but maybe not.