PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck Issue

dbfletcher
08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I have the rock chuck installed for a couple of weeks and all I can say is what a HUGE difference it has made. I had carved the US Coin map a few times before when I was still using the QC chuck. The quarters slide around int he "drill holes". Now with the ROCK, the quarters are nearly a "press-fit".

I do have one small issue with the rock. When I change bits, and the head spins up and then goes down over by the brass roller, I have found that most times the bit does not get stopped in time and drills into the plastic spacer. After fixing with 5 min epoxy twice, i have just got in the habit of lifting the lid as the bit starts to go over to the brass roller side. This give it enuf time to stop before going down to sense the plate.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem. It would be nice if LHR could put a user option for the "delay" after bit spin up to move towarsd the keypad so we could adjust that time.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I would shorten up the 1/8 cut bit as I had the same thing when it was long. Lifting the cover does help but shorten the bit makes it better.

AL

PCW
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Doug,

I know Al from Digitalwoodshop has done that before. May want to search his posts. May be seating the bit to shallow. I have not done that one yet. :D

dbfletcher
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
hmmm.. the only way I could shorten it is by removing the collar. I am using the vinyl tubing (1/8 width) method until the locking collars arrive. I have the tubing set right bove the taper on both the cutting and carving bit.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the "open cover" method for now. :(

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

PS. Oh ya.. I should mention I have the 1/2 rock with sleeves. The sleeve does move it down a bit too i guess.