PDA

View Full Version : Rotating an oval

gumbo
08-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I am trying to carve a music staff and need the ovals for the notes to be slightly skewed. I can not for the life of me change their orientation. They only seem to want to carve at 90 degrees to the horizontal. How can this be done?

Kenm810
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM
gumbo,

How about Spline Ovals at any angle you draw
then copy and paste as many as you need.

gumbo
08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
that's exactly what I need but I am not familure with that tool. How did you do that?

Woodhacker
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
After reading your post I went into Designer and tried to find a way to rotate an oval. Like yourself, I could not find a way to do it in Designer. I am sure you will get more posts explaining how it is down. I would have to design the "note" in one of my graphics programs and then bring it into Designer as a pattern. Then it could be rotated. made a quickie in Corel Draw and it worked fine. I am attaching it to this post for your use if it will help. It can be resized and rotated to any angle you need. Hope it helps.

Richard

Woodhacker
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Ken...I see how you did this but how do you get it to rotate??? This is something I would like to know too. I sent him a pattern I made in Corel and imported. It will rotate, but I can't figure out how make an oval in Designer and get it to rotate.
Thanx!!

Richard

Kenm810
08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Quote --Spline Ovals at any angle you draw

You Draw the the Oval at the angle you want
you don't have to rotate it :wink:

gumbo
08-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Not to sure what I am doing wrong but I can not draw ovals on any angle

Kenm810
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Use the Spline tool and use the purple dots
to push or pull the oval in any direction

The Regular oval's Red dots can only be moved vertically or horizontally
When you draw a spline Oval their purple dots can be moved in any Direction

gumbo
08-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Great thanks for the help. I am at work now so I will try it when I get to my computer. Since you were of such great help I have another one for you. I am trying to draw a circle within another circle, (thats the easy part). I want the carve region to be the area between the circles. So basicly what I am trying to do is carve the letter "O" with the board thickness the white (in the attached pic.) as the high and the blact area as the low or carved area.

Kenm810
08-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Try two circular or Oval carved regions
The outer circle or Oval at the depth you want
and the inner depth set at "0" :wink:

SteveEJ
08-18-2009, 07:26 AM
You must use the Spline tool, NOT the oval tool. See the attached picture, it is very easy!

mtylerfl
08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Another workaround...

Draw an oval with the Oval Tool. Make it a carve region (whatever depth you want...including a zero depth if you prefer). Then make the oval a "Group" and then use the Make Pattern feature (page 6, Sept. '08 Tips & Tricks (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf), and pages 113-115 in your software manual (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/CarveWrightSoftwareManual_rev1.02.pdf))

The result is an oval pattern you can drag onto the board and rotate it to whatever angle you want, any size you want, any depth, etc.

(This is a similar solution that Richard (woodhacker) mentioned by making a pattern from a CorelDRAW import, but it can all be done within Designer.)

Frederick_P
08-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Michael,
I tried your suggestion and the attached pic shows what I got. Should be a no-brainer. I am shocked that this Designer software is so limited.

Woodhacker
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanx for the input Michael. I (as you can plainly see) am still learning some of the basics. The program is not as intuitive as some of the graphics programs I am used to. But, this forum is like an ongoing help file which is updated daily. I tried using your suggestion and it worked great. Thanx again.

Richard

gumbo
08-18-2009, 06:43 PM
The help was excelent but I didn't explain what I am looking to do correct. I need the attachment as it is but with th e center carved out to a depth of 0.1. So I need an oval line 0.1" deep an oval field 0" deep and another oval 0.1" deep (the whole oval carved out). Hope this makes more scence

gumbo
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
yes that is exactly what I wand and I feel like such an idiot because I still can figure out what you did. Can you explain?

PCW
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
quote=gumbo;100361]The help was excelent but I didn't explain what I am looking to do correct. I need the attachment as it is but with th e center carved out to a depth of 0.1. So I need an oval line 0.1" deep an oval field 0" deep and another oval 0.1" deep (the whole oval carved out). Hope this makes more scence[/quote]

Is this what you want? Second one I redid the inside oval so you may want to see if it is OK.

gumbo
08-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Ok now I got it. The strange thinge is that is what I was doing on the piece that I was working on and it wasn't working out the way I needed it to.

PCW
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
The first one all I did was select the center oval and went to tools and carve region. Then set the depth to .100.

Second one I deleted the center oval redrew it and did the same thing as above.

gumbo
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok now that I worked out all of the bugs, does anyone have ony coments on how they think this will carve. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

gumbo
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
by the way how do attach the thumbnails?

AskBud
08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
by the way how do attach the thumbnails?

If you are asking about a photo (etc) do it the same as you did the MPC. Just watch the size restrictions.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Attachments.zip

PCW
08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok now that I worked out all of the bugs, does anyone have ony coments on how they think this will carve. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

I think you did a nice job. If you have a 60 or 90 degree router bit the text would look good in CenterLine.

Maybe someone else can confirm the carve because I have a winter supply of expensive firewood.:mrgreen:

TIMCOSBY
08-19-2009, 01:27 AM
mcMartney or did you mean mcCartney?

gumbo
08-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm not at my computer at the moment but I am known for typos. I will check it when I get home and thanks for the good catch.

gumbo
08-19-2009, 07:10 AM
When using the centerline text I can't seem to adjust the depth of the lettering, Is there something I am doing wrong or missing?

Kenm810
08-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Nope Nothing, the Depth is preset In Centerline for the V-Groove 60 and 90 Degree bits,
your only choices are the Normal or Bold settings.
Lots of folks have posted in the past, that it would be nice if they were adjustable,
but sorry, they’re not yet.

AskBud
08-19-2009, 07:48 AM
When using the centerline text I can't seem to adjust the depth of the lettering, Is there something I am doing wrong or missing?

As you type your TEXT, look at the FONT selection closely. The intensity of the sample is your guide as to how deep the initial carve may be set. You may increase that depth, somewhat, by also selecting BOLD.

The size of the text has an impact on the depth as well.

The WIDTH, of each letter, may depend upon the Degree of the V-Bit used. The smaller the degree, the smaller the profile at the top of the carve.
AskBud