PDA

View Full Version : Light switch covers

autobodyman
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
I decided to make some light switch and outlet covers for the living room (to go with the new mantle) and kitchen (for something more interesting).
I only managed to get one for the livingroom made so far, a single light switch cover, I need to also make a double, triple and one outlet cover then I can scan them and have the carvewright rough out the rest I will need.
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/109824/Sw011871.jpg

I was going to start making the rest of the livingroom covers but thought some for the kitchen might be more fun. Wound up taking me over 12 hours and I have a way to go yet. The rest should go faster as a lot of the time was just recutting, plaining, planning and making the molding. I need to make 1 double light switch cover, 2 singles and 7 outlet covers for the kitchen. Since I am doing these with different colored woods (Intrasia like) I have to make them all by hand. The outlet covers may end up just one wood type since I will need 7 of them (get the carving machine to do the other 6).

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/109824/Sw023887.jpg
The above is how I made the dentil molding for the mantle on the switch cover for the kitchen, the dentils are 1/8" x 1/8". The mantle itself is all one piece of wood that I made on the tablesaw with a bunch of sanding.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/109824/Sw032390.jpg
The overall size of the switch cover is 6" tall 5-7/8" wide and just a smidge over ¾" thick.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/109824/Sw056663.jpg
I lack carving the grapes, then there will be a bottle of wine (probably walnut, no green wood that I can think of) , glass of wine (Probably Bubinga), some cheese (Probably yellowheart or boxelder burl) and more grapes hanging over the ledge. I've got over 12 hours in this one cover so far. The rest should go faster, not sure why but seems like when I carve the same thing a second time the carving time is usually only about a quarter of the time of the first one.

What do you think of them so far?
Thanks ~Mike

http://store.carvewright.com//pattern.php?vendor=autobodyman2

Jvicaretti
08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
That is beautiful work, I am going to make some covers for our switches and plugs. That is a great idea!

sewpeck
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Can't see the pictures.

SteveEJ
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I cannot either. For some reason, some ISP's block his pictures. Actually, from the trace routes I have run trying to figure out the problem, it is being stopped by his ISP from some systems but not others. That is the best I can determine. Trace route from my AT&T account shows it being blocked just before it reaches his server but my Version air card is getting there. PhotoShare.co.nz is blocking for some reason.

atauer
08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
If photoshare.co.nz was blocking the images, no one would be able to see them. I think that your ISP's are blocking the photoshare.co.nz site, (which is highly possible as a lot of sites ending in .nz are getting blocked as spammer sites), as I can view them without a problem.

Mike, they look great. That has given me some ideas for my house. Once again, you have created an awesome project.

Kenm810
08-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Mike,

Great job on the switch plates, nice detail
love the miniature dentil molding!

mtylerfl
08-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello Mike,

Great work! Nice details - possibly the coolest switch covers I've ever seen!

geekviking
08-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Those are really pristine!

SteveEJ
08-17-2009, 12:49 PM
If photoshare.co.nz was blocking the images, no one would be able to see them. I think that your ISP's are blocking the photoshare.co.nz site, (which is highly possible as a lot of sites ending in .nz are getting blocked as spammer sites), as I can view them without a problem.

Mike, they look great. That has given me some ideas for my house. Once again, you have created an awesome project.

Not quite true. They can block from IP ranges that are requesting the files. These IP ranges can be from certain ISP's but not others on a global scale. When the URL is linked to the pictures it is routed through the persons ISP in order to provide them back to us.

Look at the 'img' source in the forum code:

img src="http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/109824/Sw011871.jpg" border="0" alt="" /><br />
<br />

This points our computers/browser to that site as if we were going there directly there from our browser. So, some ISP's, which are blocking access or they (.nz sites) are blocking will not be able to see the pictures. This would not happen if he uploaded the pictures rather than providing a link to a picture source.

SharonB
08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Mike....Can't wait until you get one of the covers finished and put on display. That is one of the nices ideas I've seen in a long time. Just might have to try something like that myself...without all the different kinds of wood. You certainly have put my mind into overdrive.

autobodyman
08-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Can't see the pictures.
Sorry they don't show up for you. I've been using photoshare for years and never had anyone in other forums mention having trouble seeing the pictures. I thought this was the best way to save CarveWrights bandwidth and I post them on the photoshare site anyway.

Can you view my web site on photoshare?

http://www.mikesphotos.dpreview.photoshare.co.nz/

The covers are in the gallery woodwork 2009.
Thanks ~Mike

autobodyman
08-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Hello Mike,

Great work! Nice details - possibly the coolest switch covers I've ever seen!

Thanks Michael, I'm going to scan these as I go along, with and without the holes cutout and with/without the wine bottle, glasses, cheese etc. Hoping to put them up for sale in the pattern depot at some point.

Have a lot of ideas for these, I get on something like this and kind of obsess for a while till I get sick of that particular deal (like pens, made pens for 3 months a few years ago and haven't made one since.)

Thanks ~Mike

Mikes patterns (http://store.carvewright.com//pattern.php?vendor=autobodyman2&page=1)

SteveEJ
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Mike,
I cannot see your site. If I use another ISP I can. Traceroute shows a firewall in place just prior to reaching you. I have no idea why it is there but they may be filtering out/not allowing AT&T sited from the US for some reason. I would be interested in seeing what ISP's are working and which one's are not.

SteveEJ
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I just switched to a Verison aircard on the same computer and I can now see them. Very nice work!

AT&T and your Photoshare site do not like each other..

autobodyman
08-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Mike....Can't wait until you get one of the covers finished and put on display. That is one of the nices ideas I've seen in a long time. Just might have to try something like that myself...without all the different kinds of wood. You certainly have put my mind into overdrive.

Thanks Sharon.
Yea, I can think of lots of possibilities and different ways to do light switch and outlet covers. Given enough room around the switches a person could actually go quite large too, depth for the switch and screws being about the only limitation.

Thanks ~Mike

autobodyman
08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I just switched to a Verison aircard on the same computer and I can now see them. Very nice work!
Thanks, glad you can see them.

AT&T and your Photoshare site do not like each other..
I'm not all that computer savy when it comes to Internet/networking. I wasn't aware of anything for blocking other than my browser popping up once in a while saying it was blocking something and I could unblock it either temporarily or permanently. I've been using photoshare since 2003.

Thanks ~Mike

SteveEJ
08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
It's not you Mike. Sometimes companies filter packets from other companies or even countries. Who knows why!?!

Nice work.. I have made a few switch covers. Mine are for my favorite football team.

RayTrek
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Hello Mike

Very classy covers as always your projects are outstanding.
I found a local electrical distribute ho is getting me some metal ark flash guards for the box side. I have made a few switch covers but after seeing yours I am re thinking designs. Thanks ~ Ray

wasacop75
08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
The loml saw those and now wanted to know if i could do some like it.
I told her i didnt have the time to do them and my machine wasnt set up like his. i am in so much trouble if she looks on here and figures out the machine..

PCW
08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike

Looks great and thanks for sharing your ideas.:-D

SharonB
08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Mike....Let us know if and when your light switch patterns hit the Pattern Depot. I know it would be on my list to purchase....just like they are.

autobodyman
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Mike....Let us know if and when your light switch patterns hit the Pattern Depot. I know it would be on my list to purchase....just like they are.

Sharon,
Thanks for the interest. I got the single Scroll for my living room one in the depot, I will get the others up as I get them made and scanned. When I get enough of them made up I will do them in collections as well.

Thanks again. ~Mike

My Patterns (http://store.carvewright.com//pattern.php?vendor=autobodyman2)

drwatkins
08-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I lack carving the grapes, then there will be a bottle of wine (probably walnut, no green wood that I can think of) ,

You might try these for your green that you need for the bottle:

yellow poplar; if kiln dried, turn it and then expose it to sun light watch it as it changes color some pieces close tot eh heart will turn a dark green before going to purple and then black.

Mun Ebony or Moon Ebony it is green and black mottled.

Paulownia or princess tree can be various shades some trees dry out to be green tinted.

SAA3840
08-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Go to cookwoods.com. I bought some green wood from them at a woodworker's show back in June. I believe it's called Vera or Verawood, something like that. It's green though. AND it's supposedly VERY hard, harder than maple.

leesheridan
08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
I go to cook Woods when ever I'm in Klamath Falls. They have a good selection of woods. When working with them ask for specials. Also, ask for Bill. I always ask for him and he has saved me money. He has worked there longer than any other employee. Most of their business is in internet sales. I've been there and it's not uncommon to see a luthier from Japan or others from around the world and they're always prepping items for shipments all over the world.