PDA

View Full Version : stuck bit

woodchip
08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
HELP... Ijust finished using my machine for about 6 hrs. and now I can't remove the bit. I tried everything in the manual... any suggestions?:confused::confused::confused:

DocWheeler
08-16-2009, 07:44 PM
woodchip,

There are a bunch of threads on "stuck bit" or "stuck_bit", do a search using the quotation marks.

Most suggestions are Tap-Tap, jiggle, let it cool down, or throw the dammit tool.

mtylerfl
08-16-2009, 08:09 PM
HELP... Ijust finished using my machine for about 6 hrs. and now I can't remove the bit. I tried everything in the manual... any suggestions?:confused::confused::confused:

Hello,

I've had a "stubbornly stuck" bit adapter a couple times myself. I tapped one out successfully, but found another method that seems to work just as well, but is less stressful...

Put a layer of old towels under the chuck to protect the traction belts. Spray WD-40 UPWARDS into the slots of the chuck with the skinny straw-nozzle of the can - you'll need to curve the straw a little to reach into the slots. (A mirror can help your aim.) The towels keep the drips of the WD-40 from getting on the traction belts.

Spray into all the slots, then leverage the chuck/bit adapter gently and methodically with your bit puller tool while turning the chuck all the way around. The bit adapter should work free within a few turns. After the bit adapter has come out, clean the chuck well and wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can (inside), then apply a very LIGHT coat of 3-in-1 oil to protect the inside of the chuck from rust. (The WD-40 is a cleaner and the oil follow-up restores a protective coating inside the chuck.)

Inspect your adapter to make sure one of the setscrews didn't work itself out which might have caused the binding. Usually it's just fine powdery sawdust that causes the stuck adapter, but check the setscrews to be sure.

Hope that helps!

Digitalwoodshop
08-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Your machine has been secretly been reading the Forum and is on STRIKE wanting to get your attention so you buy a ROCK Chuck and END the QC Frustration.:D:D:D Snicker....

Seriously... I would try the sling shot.... Pull back the QC ring and let it snap back forward. It will sometimes help eject the bit.

Then Buy a ROCK....

AL

RHenry
09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow! Worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

hogiewan
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
I had that problem on my first carve. I put a leather glove under the bit to catch it, then I pulled up on the release and used some needle nose pliers to grab the bit adapter (not the bit) and pull slightly. It popped right out. Then I did the WD-40 and 3-in-1 after the carve session.

rhendrix
09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I had that problem a few months ago and I did everything you can think of. I jiggle jiggled, tap taped, wiggle wiggled, tried heating it and used the extraction tool until I completley ruined the collar on the quick release bit holder. I ended up having to cut the collar off and then finally pryed it out. I had to replace my bit holder. I still like this quick release holder. All you have to do is make sure you clean it between every carve job and put a thin layer of oil on the bit and up in the holder each time you use it. I haven't had any more problems with it since then. Works like a dream and I have put a lot of projecrts through it since then.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Buy a Rock and end that type of problem and get a quieter machine.

AL

cnsranch
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
AW

I know you've got stock in 3M, did you by Rock Stock too?

Rock Stock Jayhawk...