PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" thick Material cutouts

dvel56
08-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know where to find the post or tip on how to place tabs on thin material?

I would like to cut letters out of 1/4" wood and I read somwhere of how to put tabs into the cutpath useing thin wood

Anyone know where this info is at?

Thanks Dvel

fwharris
08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Does anyone know where to find the post or tip on how to place tabs on thin material?

I would like to cut letters out of 1/4" wood and I read somwhere of how to put tabs into the cutpath useing thin wood

Thanks Dvel

Dvel,

I think, and anyone can correct me on this, but with version 1.152 ( starting with 1.150) you can now add manual tabs now. on your design board with the line tool, draw the lines or tabs where you want them and then click on the "place tabs" tool button....

or if you like draw a small box and set the carve region to zero depth....

mtylerfl
08-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks Dvel

Hello,

The Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008
"Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf) explains how to do cutouts from 1/4 material.

Digitalwoodshop
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
For 1/4 inch thick material I would try the 1/16 inch cut bit and double stick tape... I cut the FRP plastic using the 1/16 end mill cutting bit similar to what LHR sells. My bit was 6 inches long and was for the Engraving Machine. I cut the shaft with my chain saw chain grinder. Cut it shorter than the picture I posted the other day.

The 1/16 inch bit did not move the plastic at all when held with tape on a carrier board. I did not use tabs either because I did not want a fractured tab to show on the plastic.

I also cut through the FRP and slightly into the carrier board. I have some re-positionable photo spray glue from Wally Mart that I am thinking to trying rather than double stick tape.

I also used a piece of PVC Board as my carrier. Expensive but FLAT....

Using this sled I believe you can also cut the Florescent Acrylic Plastics too making things like kids names... Add a LED base and you have a WOW at the Holiday Craft Shows.... I might even be interested in taking my CW to a CRAFT SHOW with it's Quite ROCK and cutting a Child's NAME while they wait..... Have the base already made up.....

One of the Carvers here sent me the Font that has the connected base that is used for scroll lettering... Sorry I can't remember your name.... One of the Ladies....

Then that opens up being able to cut with the CW, Quilting Pattern Rullers..... :rolleyes::-D

Good Luck,

AL