PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had this problem?

William Blankenship
08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I tried to carve the Round Shell Box from the CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr09. Everything was fine until it started to carve out the bottom of the box on the front side. When it got to the point when it was making the cutouts, I noticed it had cut through the top of the box. In other words, the cutouts were off center from what is required in the pattern. Has anyone else had this problem. That was a nasty end to a beautiful piece of poplar. This is not the first pattern I have had this problem with. The last one I solved it by removing the cut outs. I cut things out myself and routed them myself. I would prefer to do this with the CW.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill....

Jeff_Birt
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Sounds like you turned your stock end-for-end rather than rotating it about the X-axis.

When doing two side carves you need to turn the stock over keeping the left side of the stock to the left (when viewing from keypad.)

William Blankenship
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you turned your stock end-for-end rather than rotating it about the X-axis.

When doing two side carves you need to turn the stock over keeping the left side of the stock to the left (when viewing from keypad.)

I turned it over correctly, I flipped the board on the width side not the long side. I stopped it in the middle so I could vac out the saw dust. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I'm carving the original pattern on a scrap piece of pine I have to see if it happens again. The first time I carved this, I took out the shell and put in a little rosette on the lid in its place.

This happened one time before on another pattern. I had several cut paths and route paths on that pattern. I'm not sure what is going on. Any more thoughts?

HighTechOkie
08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Are you putting masking tape on the bottom keypad side of the board? This just helps to ensure the board tracking sensor stays in contact with the board and does not slip (ie. the board keeps moving but the machine doesn't know it when the tracking sensor looses contact with the board).

Rob

William Blankenship
08-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Are you putting masking tape on the bottom keypad side of the board? This just helps to ensure the board tracking sensor stays in contact with the board and does not slip (ie. the board keeps moving but the machine doesn't know it when the tracking sensor looses contact with the board).

Rob

I've never done this. I didn't know I had to. That part looks like a little brass traction wheel located next to the squaring plate, right? So just put a piece of masking tape (1" wide?) along that edge of the board?

Can my problem be caused by moving this sensor when I rotate the board during double sided carves? Is it that critical?

AskBud
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I've never done this. I didn't know I had to. That part looks like a little brass traction wheel located next to the squaring plate, right? So just put a piece of masking tape (1" wide?) along that edge of the board?

Can my problem be caused by moving this sensor when I rotate the board during double sided carves? Is it that critical?

This Brass Roller should, also, have a rubber O-ring on it. If that is missing, find it or buy a new one.
AskBud

William Blankenship
08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
This Brass Roller should, also, have a rubber O-ring on it. If that is missing, find it or buy a new one.
AskBud

I just check that on my machine. It is there. Tiny part isn't it!! I put the tape down on the underside, each side along that edge. I'll let you all know what happens. I'm carving another right now. I used the stock pattern, the one with the shell. If that works it will make me wonder if it is the rosette I added that caused the problem. I wouldn't think so. It was a simple measure of deleting the shell and adding the rosette.

Jeff, you may be right. Maybe I wasn't paying attention and flip the board the wrong way. I haven't done that in a long, long while. Like....since I first got the machine.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens on this carve.

William Blankenship
08-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Do you think it might be the change I made to the file that cause this? Would you be willing to look at it?

William Blankenship
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
It happened again with another completely different project. Everything was fine with the initial carve. When the rectangle path cut using router bit: 1/2" Classical started it seemed to be working fine. During the rest of this process it cut through my what seems to be duplicates through the pattern.

What gives? I can't figure it out. The board must be slipping. I know I'm flipping it correctly. I have carved a number of projects and have just started having this crop up once in a while.

James RS
08-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you think it might be the change I made to the file that cause this? Would you be willing to look at it?

What is the drill for?

RayTrek
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Hello Bill

I see some changes you made to the lay out when you put the pattern in - 1 you changed the depth of pattern to .250 from .220. Next you changed the height to 150 from 100 also you did not make the patterns merge style: additive.
Just what I noticed
I have carved this 3 times with no problems
Hope this helps
Good day ~ray

William Blankenship
08-18-2009, 07:00 AM
What is the drill for?

That is part of the original pattern used to illustrate the CW's ability to drill out the bottom of the round box using the cutting bit by setting the radius and depth. That is a pretty cool feature.

William Blankenship
08-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Hello Bill

I see some changes you made to the lay out when you put the pattern in - 1 you changed the depth of pattern to .250 from .220. Next you changed the height to 150 from 100 also you did not make the patterns merge style: additive.
Just what I noticed
I have carved this 3 times with no problems
Hope this helps
Good day ~ray

I'll change it back to the original settings using the celtic pattern, though. I'll change the height back and use merge additive. Thanks..... The other troublesome pattern I carved is a little large. I fixed that one by taking out the use of the router bits along paths. I cut the pieces out using my table saw and took them over to my router table. This round box has me stumped.

Bill..