PDA

View Full Version : Before carving

ditchdoc
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I have noticed, as I'm sure others have, that when carving on various woods that there is some tear-out of wood fibers. I'm wondering if maybe a coat of finish on the wood, prior to carving, would alleviate, at least, some of the tear-out. Has anyone tried this? Also, would this effect any of the sensors in the machine and cause erroneous measurments etc? I have done test carvings in several woods and have tear-out, to some extent, in all of them. Some clean up with a wire brush and others need some detail sanding. I intend to try some sanding sealer, post carving, to see if cleanup is any easier. I am interested in any feedback from other users and the Carvewright tech folks. :?

Old Salt
04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I dont think sealer will help with the fuzies it can't get that deep into wood fibers. but after brushing sanding sealer will help in sanding touchup making an easyer job of it. I have also hit the carving with a light spray of lacquor for fast drying . works well. any time you cut cross grain in wood you will tear fibers . I have found some patterns run best at a 90 degree angle with the grain of wood . The machine could care less if we set it up sideways our upside down look at grain you will be cutting and lay out to fit .
Open gain wood like red oak will give more problems than closed grain like white oak.
Hope this helps you , The Old Salt :

applik
04-07-2006, 11:10 PM
deleted