PDA

View Full Version : Info On Centerline Text

fbrittain
08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi Folks, I have been wanting to buy centerline text for a long time but I hear so many pro's and cons. there does not seem to be much info from c/w on just what it will do and not do. does anyone know where I can get a manuel or a demo video? since there is so little info from c/w I am thinking they might not be too proud of it. all info appreciated.

HighTechOkie
08-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure of any cons for centerline. There was a bug in previous version of Designer, but that has since been resolved.

It carves text in vector mode using a 90° or 60° V-bit. You can also find fonts with graphics(dingbats for example), or create your own, and carve those in vector mode also. The carvings come out crisp and clean with no sanding needed.

The only limitation with centerline is it can only be used on the top surface of the board and the depth (which effects letter stroke thickness) can not be changed other than making the font larger.

Rob

AskBud
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi Folks, I have been wanting to buy centerline text for a long time but I hear so many pro's and cons. there does not seem to be much info from c/w on just what it will do and not do. does anyone know where I can get a manuel or a demo video? since there is so little info from c/w I am thinking they might not be too proud of it. all info appreciated.

You will not regret buying Centerline. It gives you much faster, and sharper, Text carving than the Raster carve.
You will want the 60 & 90 degree V-Bits, However I mostly use the 60 degree.
I have even tested, and like, a 45 degree bit from EagleAmerica it will make a thinner cut if I wish/need that type of carve.

Centerline is/was designed to carve on the top surface of your board using the V-bit(s) in particular. You may not select the depth of these "Centerline" carves. That being said, Each Font has a perceived depth of its own, which you may second guess by looking at the selection window. I think it is safe to say that the lighter, and narrower/thinner, the Font Sample the lighter/thinner the actual carve will look. Selecting BOLD will drive the carve deeper. Moreover, selecting a BOLD type Font and also selecting the BOLD Option, will give you some very deep carves.

The Centerline carve also deepens as you enlarge your text size in your design (rotate your design to see the actual effects of your choice). The 90 degree bit obviously gives you the widest carve. I also like to set my letter spacing at a 12, to start, as I do not wish my letters to over-run each other.
I think it's best to do a test carve of several letters before you make your final set-up using a particular Font & Bit combination.

Several of us have also toyed with using Centerline in a "Recessed" area. This is not recommended by LHR. It's possible to be done (with caution and understanding).
Here is an AVI link on my test of this process:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Centerline%20Test.zip
AskBud

fbrittain
08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure of any cons for centerline. There was a bug in previous version of Designer, but that has since been resolved.

It carves text in vector mode using a 90° or 60° V-bit. You can also find fonts with graphics(dingbats for example), or create your own, and carve those in vector mode also. The carvings come out crisp and clean with no sanding needed.

The only limitation with centerline is it can only be used on the top surface of the board and the depth (which effects letter stroke thickness) can not be changed other than making the font larger.

Rob

Thanks,High techokie, you answered one of my main questions. smmothness of cut. I'm having to do far too much sanding and chipping using the regular method in designer. I am in the process of changing my chuck to the rock also but having a little problem. I am thinking that the qc chuck may have been part of my problem. I plan to order centerline as soon as I can get running again. Thanks alot. Felix Brittain

fbrittain
08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
You will not regret buying Centerline. It gives you much faster, and sharper, Text carving than the Raster carve.
I have even tested, and like, a 45 degree bit from EagleAmerica it will make a thinner cut if I wish/need that type of carve.

Centerline is/was designed to carve on the top surface of your board using the V-bit(s) in particular. You may not select the depth of these "Centerline" carves. That being said, Each Font has a perceived depth of its own, which you may second guess by looking at the selection window. I think it is safe to say that the lighter, and narrower/thinner, the Font Sample the lighter/thinner the actual carve will look. Selecting BOLD will drive the carve deeper. Moreover, selecting a BOLD type Font and also selecting the BOLD Option, will give you some very deep carves.

The Centerline carve also deepens as you enlarge your text size in your design (rotate your design to see the actual effects of your choice). The 90 degree bit obviously gives you the widest carve. I also like to set my letter spacing at a 12, to start, as I do not wish my letters to over-run each other.
I think it's best to do a test carve of several letters before you make your final set-up using a particular Font & Bit combination.

Several of us have also toyed with using Centerline in a "Recessed" area. This is not recommended by LHR. It's possible to be done (with caution and understanding).
AskBud

Hi Bud, boy! your website is really a help. I'll be using it on a regular basis as well as asking for alot of help. I hope c/w realizes how much you and some of the others do to promote their product. without you guys alot of us would be totally lost!!! Felix Brittain

fbrittain
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

AskBud

Bud, I forgot to ask before.(1) Using centerline text can I have a raster carving(in a carve region) on 1 part of the project and use centerline at the bd. surface on another part but all on the same board? (2)Does centerline work well with 2 d clipart. I saw a sign with a bull dog that said something like"I can make it to the gate in 2-1/2 seconds. can you ? I think it was one of your postings but haven't been able to find it again. was it yours? if so was that done in centerline? thanks Felix Brittain

AskBud
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Bud, I forgot to ask before.(1) Using centerline text can I have a raster carving(in a carve region) on 1 part of the project and use centerline at the bd. surface on another part but all on the same board? (2)Does centerline work well with 2 d clipart. I saw a sign with a bull dog that said something like"I can make it to the gate in 2-1/2 seconds. can you ? I think it was one of your postings but haven't been able to find it again. was it yours? if so was that done in centerline? thanks Felix Brittain
Felix,
Yes, you may have both a carved region, in one area, and Centerline on the surface, in another area. I do that may times. See the attached items.

The Bulldog "2.5 seconds" is a raster bulldog and Centerline text. It is not my design, but I can not remember where/when I got it.
AskBud

fbrittain
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Felix,
Yes, you may have both a carved region, in one area, and Centerline on the surface, in another area. I do that may times. See the attached items.

The Bulldog "2.5 seconds" is a raster bulldog and Centerline text. It is not my design, but I can not remember where/when I got it.
AskBud
Thanks Bud, I have centerline ordered and have been waiting for the e-mail I'm suppose to recieve.I hope I can get my machine running soon so I can use it. Again, can you do a line art in centerline. something like the picture of the bull dog? thanks Felix

AskBud
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks Bud, I have centerline ordered and have been waiting for the e-mail I'm suppose to recieve.I hope I can get my machine running soon so I can use it. Again, can you do a line art in centerline. something like the picture of the bull dog? thanks Felix
Centerline is for TEXT. The "LineArt" you speak of is called "Vector" cuts.

You may "Hand Trace" an image using "Connected lines" (as one way). Just do small portions, of the image, at a time. You may select the bit and Depth as you go, or Highlight several and do your final selections of Bit & Depth.

Here is an AVI lesson on one way to accomplish the task:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Design%20a%20Stain%20Glass%20Project.zip
AskBud