PDA

View Full Version : Weird Z Stall Error 308 only on second project

mikepail
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi All,
I have a problem with a project that when I run it the second time since machine power on, the bit measurement phase never completes successfully.

Here are the steps.
Project menu -> Select my project.
Machine measures board and asks the normal questions.
Machine asks for and measures 90 deg V bit.
Machine asks for and measures 1/8" cutting bit.
Machines completes project as expected, asking for 90 deg V bit as expectec.
I select Ok after being told carving time and machine returns to main menu.
I remove the board and insert a new blank board.
From project menu, I select the same project.
Machine measures board as before.
Machine asks for and measures 90 deg V bit, as before.
Machine asks for and begins to measure 1/8" cutting bit. This time when the y truck moves all the way to its left, the loaded bit is pressed against the board sensor arm and never comes back up. The X belts begin to move the board about an inch and then the screen displays a "Z stall Error 308".

Fortunately, if when I get to the * above, I turn off the machine for 30 seconds and try again, it works fine. I called into support and talked to S/W thinking this was a firmware bug. The tech told me it is a hardware problem. I have a message in with them, but thought I'd try the forum as it may be quicker.

Also, I was measuring a board's thickness last night with the machine and it began to go through the whole bit measurement step before even prompting me for the 1/8" cutting bit?! If the bit is in the chuck, I get the same Z Stall error as above, at the same point. If a bit is not in there, it will go through the bit measurement process and then it will prompt be for the 1/8" bit.

This seems very weird to me. Any ideas what could cause this? Everything else on the machine works fine and the depth of cut is accurate in projects, so I don't think this is a Z motor problem.

Help!

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Very confusing problem..... When it hits the bit plate it does not go back up if I get that....

When you first turn on the machine the Z moves up and down and Y moves slightly left and right normally.

Look closely... Does your machine the Z go down but not up?

Let me know?

AL

mikepail
08-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Al,
Yes, the machine looks 100% normal to me otherwise. I see it move up and down and reference itself to the post at the top of the Z-truck. Remember, when it references everything for the 90 degree V bit, prior to asking for the 1/8" bit, it completes that fine.

mikepail
08-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm still not convinced this is not a firmware issue.

Can someone else try running the project back to back? You could even remove the bit after it thinks it has started to carve to save on material.

This is with version 1.152.

Here are the runtime selections:
Do not stay under rollers
Place on edge
Do not cut board to size