PDA

View Full Version : Bits and their uses

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Can someone share or point me to a rundown of which bits are used for what purpose? I am specifically interested in the various sized ballnose, and the v bits.

Also, the machine comes with a 1/16" carving bit and a 1/8" cutting bit. In the board settings in Designer, you can choose 1/8" Ballnose, 1/16" Ballnose, or 1/8" Straight bits. Is the carving bit that came with the machine a ballnose?

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Carving bits are tapered and at this time I believe only come in 1/16 inch.

The 1/8 inch Cutting Bit is used to drill holes in the board and do a Cut Path or cut out. When drilling you can ask for a 1 inch hole and it will cut a spiral from center to 1 inch either all at once or in increments.

There is a 1/16 Cutting Bit now and you can select it when you are setting up a Cut Path. It gives you a choice of 1/8 or 1/16th. I like to call it the 1/16 End Mill to cut the confusion.

I use the 3/8 cutting bit and the V60 and V90 for text. Yes... The 3/8 bit to cut letters in signs using Outline Text and Modern Font, a single stroke font and set the depth to .100

Check out my website to see the brown signs I cut.

When I needed to cut out some plastic tags, I did not want to use Tabs as they might break and spoil the plastic edge. I used double sided tape to hold the plastic to a board and selected the 1/16 ball nose and drew boxes and assigned the 1/16 ball nose bit and set the depth to the plastic thickness plus some. I used the new 1/16 end mill that is used for a cut path and it turned out GREAT.

I used the V60 to cut this deer. Copied the logo as a pattern. Put it on a board and made it BIG. Using the draw a line and curve tools traced over TOP of the pattern. Selected the lines and assigned the V60 bit and set the depth to .15 and let it cut. It operated more like a CNC machine than a carving machine.

The V 60 is used for small Centerline Text and the V90 is used for bigger text.

Good Luck

AL

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Is the carving bit the '1/16" Ballnose' listed under "Pattern Bit" in the "Board Settings"?

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
OK... Your right..... It is....

;)

AL