PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas? Machine down again...

c6craig
08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi all -

As I have posted previously I purchased one of the reconditioned no waranty machines and was having decent success with it until recently. It seems this thing hit a certain point and decided to self destruct. Every time I have used it something else breaks.

I have replaced the Z motor, Z truck, board tracking sensor, and most recently a power supply to fix the "power fluctuation error". I put the new one in yesterday, made it through one carve successfully and on the next carve...power fluctuation error. I will be calling tech support (Which has been awesome by the way) when they open, but was just curious if there was anything else I could try short of beating on this thing with a hammer?

I am also calling my local Sears today when they open to see if they have any in stock. I think I need one with a warranty, and Sears will be close enough that I can drive there and exchange for another unit if the new one acts up. Worse case I have two machines, so if/when I get this first one working I will finally get the nerve up to order and install a rock chuck on it.

Any ideas or comments welcome (besides the expected ha ha dummy shouldn't have bought a reconditioned machine, believe me - my wife is covering that one enough for everyone!!) :roll:

Thanks,
Craig

cestout
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
My first machine (Sears) broke frequently. About 4 months after the CarveWright warranty expired it needed work again. After some confusion as to how they should handle it (All Sears repairs for this machine are done in Huston - they would not accept this.), they replaced it. The hours are piling up on the new machine and no problems yet. I did get a 5yr instead of the 3yr agreement. They have made a lot of upgrades in the year+ since my first machine. Get a new one with a 5yr agreement. LHR will fix it for the first year or 200 hrs./, then Sears will fix it or replace it.
Clint

c6craig
08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks Clint, I appreciate the reply.

I have given up on this machine for now..After talking to tech support I just spent the majority of the day tearing it down and replaced the tracking sensor cable, x-term board, gave it a clean and fired it up for a test carve - right to X-Axis error. Whatever is wrong with this thing is beyond me, it's going to have to go back in the box to LHR and they can see what they can do with it.

In the meantime, I have ordered a new machine direct from LHR which should be here tomorrow. I am also ordering a rock chuck for the new machine, but I won't get that until end of next week (guessing).

I decided to go direct from LHR as Sears didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. First problem was they wanted to take 10 days to get a machine to my local store, I am just too impatient for that. Second is they had no idea if it was an A version or B version, and I'm not willing to take the chance.

This is a hobby for me, supposed to be relaxing :cool: For now I am going to stop throwing hammers at the wall and wait to see if I have any better luck with the new one...

Thanks,
Craig