PDA

View Full Version : Carve Quality with the Rock Chuck

dvel56
08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I am wondering if anyone has noticed if the quality of carving has improved with the new Rock Chuck?

My QC has small vibration at the bit end and now is getting worse.
I have no dimples on my adapters but the QC sounds like its going to explode

the Carve quality with the QC sucks even with Micheal T's patterns

Is the rock really ALL THAT?

Thanks
Dvel56

Steven Alford
08-13-2009, 12:03 AM
All that and more!!
If you haven't already caused some other damage from all the vibration, the Rock Chuck is the only way to go. You will have very little vibration and the carve quality is much improved.

dbfletcher
08-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Ditto. I have installed my Rock less than a week ago. It is one of the few products I can say I have run accross that far exceed my expectations. And they were built up pretty high from reading everyone else's posts on the rock before I got mine.

Life with carvewright is just so much better now. Quieter, cleaner, easier on the operator, easier on the machine. The absolute only downside i can see is that my carvewright didnt ship with one when it was new out of the box.

Get the rock.... you wont regret it and most likely you'll wonder how you got along for so long with out it.

Doug Fletcher

Wilbur
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree, it is much better carving with the rock.

Wilbur

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I just took my new machine out of the box last night. I was planning on getting used to it and then buying a rock. Is there any reason not to wait. I guess I wanted to be sure I knew what all I wanted to buy

Tom Spaulding
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I just took my new machine out of the box last night. I was planning on getting used to it and then buying a rock. Is there any reason not to wait. I guess I wanted to be sure I knew what all I wanted to buy

I did one cut on my new machine with the QC to make sure everything worked before I changed to the rock.
Personally I didn't want wait too long to swap out, as I feel that the QC vibration might cause issues with the machine.

-Tom

Steven Alford
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I strongly believe that a good share of the break down problems with the machine are caused by the vibration of the QC. If you get rid of the QC before it has a chance of vibrating the machine to the point of breaking something, you are one giant step ahead. CHANGE THE QC TO THE ROCK!!

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
What all do I need. I guess I should get the kit, but what about the sleeves, what are they for (I haven't carved with the machine yet, but I've been reading about it for quite a while)

locovalley
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Hogiewan,

I opted for the 1/2" Rock chuck because I use several 1/2" shank bits. I got two 1/4" sleeves for my carving and cutting bits. If you will be using ANY 1/2" bits you'll need the the 1/2" Rock. You'll also need the square tool and two flat wrenches, if you don't already have them, in order to remove the QC.

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
which bits are 1/2" and which are 1/4"?

deemon328
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I am wondering if anyone has noticed if the quality of carving has improved with the new Rock Chuck?

Thanks
Dvel56

Yes, it solves bit runout problems entirely. I can get acceptably round holes now where before they were not only oblong, but also larger on the bottom. Dump the junk QCs and bit adapters ASAP if you want to actually enjoy your machine.

AskBud
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
which bits are 1/2" and which are 1/4"?

Start at about page # 42 of this CW Manual.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/images/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual.pdf

AskBud
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
The bits are measured by the "Shank".
The two bits that came with your machine are both 1/4". One is the 1/16" tapered "Carving Bit" which makes the Raster cuts. The 2nd bit is the 1/8" cutting bit. Both of these bits have the 1/4" shank.
AskBud

hogiewan
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
You are joking ..right??? Would you like to re-phrase your question? What end of the hammer do you hold to drive a nail ?? :p

I haven't used the machine once, and I'm not familiar with all of the available bits. I'd like some help getting this straight so that I know what I need right now and what I may need very soon so that I can order the correct accessories for the Rock Chuck

rjustice
08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I haven't used the machine once, and I'm not familiar with all of the available bits. I'd like some help getting this straight so that I know what I need right now and what I may need very soon so that I can order the correct accessories for the Rock Chuck

Hi,
Since you are just getting started, and are unsure about how you would use the machine, I would recommend going with the 1/2" version. This will give you full flexability to hold any tools available now, or in the future. As Bud mentioned, the machine comes with 2 bits that both have 1/4" shanks. What this means is that you would need the 1/2 to 1/4 Rock sleeve to hold them. Something to consider is that if you wish to try my 1/8" cut out bits you would also wawnt the 1/2 to 1/8 Rock sleeve. Rock Kit#1 includes the tools necessary to uninstall, and install the chuck on your new machine.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me by clicking on the email link below.

Welcome to the group, and we look forward to seeing your projects in the near future!

Happy Carving,

Ron

Rocky
08-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks
Dvel56

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think carve quality has improved with the Rock chuck. There certainly is less vibration and noise.

hess
08-14-2009, 12:52 PM
You can pay a bit now for the Rock are pay more for POS QCs and save lots of yelling anf kicking the machine. The Rock is much better I can crave on best rather than opmtimim and get a very clean result.

I have been running at nite all nite for the last 3 days no one has complained about the noise That says it all. Less noise = less vibs = less downtime

Than again who am I to say

Pratyeka
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I think it is safe to say that all those who have converted to the Rock Chuck are happy with the results. Their observations are:
great reduction of vibration and noise level.
ease of use
better carve quality
less stress on the machine and user;)

I have passed the 200hrs mark on my machine, 160hrs on my modified Eliminator chuck...

Steven Alford
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
You can pay a bit now for the Rock are pay more for POS QCs and save lots of yelling anf kicking the machine. The Rock is much better I can crave on best rather than opmtimim and get a very clean result.

I have been running at nite all nite for the last 3 days no one has complained about the noise That says it all. Less noise = less vibs = less downtime

Than again who am I to say

There he goes aging with those three letter dirty words!!!!;)