PDA

View Full Version : Cut (Spindle) Motor repair opinions needed.

Rodeo1
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Last night, while my machine was about half an hour into a carve, I was across the room working on the PC. I began to smell the horrible "electrical burning" smell none of us want to smell! I ran to the machine (which was still carving) and immediately flipped up the cover to stop everything. I searched for the source of the smell or find something hot, but couldn't find either. The flexshaft was nice and cool along with the motor, the Z Truck, and everything else I checked. So I swepped up the accumulated pine dust (not too bad of an accumulation), closed the cover, and hit Enter to resume the carve.

The machine began to move all the axis' and "carve", but the Spindle (AC Cut) motor never turned on. Never heard the machine so quiet even with my RC on ;-)! I stopped the project, tried starting a new project, tried a power off/power on cycle of the machine all with the same result - no errors, but the Cut Motor never started.

SOOOO I did what all good carvers would do - I had a beer and went to bed. Today I again did what a good carver would do and read up on the forums, particularly DigitalWoodShop's great Cut Motor 101 articles (THANKS!). Armed with that information I returned home tonight to remove and inspect the motor from my CW. I got the motor removed and disassembled.

From all my reading, and because my Cut Motor time is around 95 hours, I really expected to find worn out brushes. As you can see in the picture the brushes are actually in pretty good shape. However I did find the source of my "electrical smell." Where one of the wires attaches to the coil the wire is melted and the connection scorched (see second picture).

So I wanted to solicit opinions on whether I can repair this motor maybe even just to keep as a backup or if I should just send it back for the core charge when I order a new motor tomorrow. Also anyone have any thoughts as to why this would have happened or more importantly ideas on actions I can take to prevent it happening again.

Lucky me when pulling the Flexshaft out I noticed the bayonet sleeve where the Flexshaft meets the Cut Motor had debonded from the sleeve. I think I can CA this back on and at least keep it as a backup, but as you can guess I'll be ordering a new Flexshaft along with the new Cut Motor tomorrow. YEAH ME!

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to give all the relevant details before asking for opinions.

Thanks again everyone for being part of such an awesome community!

Steven Alford
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
You said you were across the room working on your PC??
Maybe it is the PC that is smokin'!!:rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
08-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I would send it back for the core charge.... I would not trust it again....

What sometimes happens with Motor Windings is the enamel coating rubs off and what was a 85 turn coil of wires in the motor suddenly becomes a 35 turn coil as two wires touching and the electricity takes the path of lease resistance... This changes the values of the motor and can cause HEAT... Melted wires.... Send it in....

Glad you found the old 101 post and found it useful. I need a motor too as my motor has a cracked plastic case.... Want to swap cases?...

Just kidding....

Good Luck,

AL

Rodeo1
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey Al, thanks for the reply I couldn't have asked for anyone better to weigh in! If anyone would take a chance at fixing the motor I'm betting it would be you, so if you say send it in back it goes! :D

Good thing you weighed in to 'cause I just finished resoldering the melted connections, testing for continuity (don't know the resistance values of the coil as they should be, so no point testing that), and getting ready to reassemble and test. After seeing your explanation I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and just wait for the new one to get here.

It's not like there isn't other woodworking to do...and beer to drink! ;)

BTW - mi "case" es su "case." LOL

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Good Call.... If a Cut Motor catches on FIRE during a carve not even Martha Stewart would think it was a "Good Thing"..... The chances of that is slim... but the question still is... Why did the wire melt?

Here is the deal.... I need a cut motor case, my cut motor has a cracked front where the flex plugs into the motor.

They charge you a core charge for the motor and you send the old one back with you paying the postage to get credit.

How about I send you the core charge money and shipping for the old motor since all I need is the plastic case. I will take the whole thing to dissect more. I have the electronic equipment to compare two motor coils side by side and look for differences. It's called a Huntron Tracker.

I would like to examine this motor and get a case at the same time. Does the case have any fine cracks in the case?

This way everyone wins.... I get to add more to my Motor 101....

Let me know....

AL

I can paypal you or check.

I feel like a Traffic Cop at Spring Break.... Son..... You don't really need that case of BEER in your back seat.... Why don't you put it in the TRUNK of my Squad Car...:-D:roll::rolleyes: Taking advantage of you....:roll:

Rodeo1
08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey Al,

I'm happy to help if I can, plus I'm itching to know what you find (if anything) that caused the motor to literally meltdown.

I've inspected the case and I see a chip in the body by where one of the screws attach the halves, but nothing I think that will affect the usability of the case. I can send you some high-res pic's if you want.

I can tell you I noticed inside the motor that the impeller on the end of the shaft looks like a couple fins have some chips missing. Interesting...

If nothing else I hope it gives you some good parts and a good mystery to solve!

PM me with where you want the motor sent.

Have a great day buddy and God bless!

John Sr.

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Sent PM. Yes, I want the motor.

Thanks,

AL