PDA

View Full Version : New to the Group

mostlycold
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi,

I'm Dan from Eagle River Alaska and I'm waiting for my machine to be delivered. I have loaded the Designer (full version) software and have managed to transfer several bmp's to the pattern library.

I have a simple (?) first requirement of my machine and that is to cut 2 dimensional patterns out of 1/4" hardboard. They are half/patterns (flat on one side and a half profile on the other side) to be used on a lathe duplicator. Once I have the pattern on the virtual board, I can't seem to get the cut-line function to follow the profile outline of the image it keeps cutting the whole block that the image is in off the board.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Dan

yenne
04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Hello and welcome! I'm not sure I fully understand how you're laying out your cut. Are you using the drawing tools to define a path, then using the cut tool to cut out that path? If so, you might try clicking the Reverse Cut action to swap the side of your path that the cut follows.

Or are you dropping a pattern from the library onto the board, outlining it, and cutting along the outline?

mostlycold
04-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes, I'm droping the pattern and trying to cut on the outline? Not having much success! The pattern is just a single line in the shape of half an object. In Corel there is a trace function for doing this, but I can't seem to make the cutline follow the outline. Hope this is making sense?

Dan

File attached

yenne
04-10-2006, 03:33 PM
We don't currently have a Corel-style trace function, but it's on the list. In the meantime you'd probably find it easier to lay out the design using our drawing tools. I've attached a project file for the pattern you attached, assuming the grid is one inch squares. This took about three minutes to set up in the software.

The nice thing about drawing in the software is that you can set line lengths, arc radii, angles between segments, etc.

Picture and project file both attached.

mostlycold
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanx Britt - I see if I can work from your file.

Dan