PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Guidance from the Gurus

QJuice
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Long time reader, second-time poster.

I teach Basic Woodworking & Communications at a high school, and we purchased a Carvewright (all bits, scanning probe, software). I’ve seen some great posts on this forum and I am looking for some guidance.

#1 -It would be great to get some Sign Foam, but the cost is prohibitive, and with students they’d be wasting it. We have been using Pine/Poplar so far but as mentioned in other posts it can have a lot of “fuzzies” after the carve. Can we use MDF? Would it be a sharper result? I’ve read the warning about the dust, and will make sure to have the dust collector on it.

#2 – I need a suggestion for getting plans for an Muskoka/Adirondack Chair into the design software to make up a project. I seem to have a few options:
(1) scan all the parts of one of chairs we have completed;
(2) Create the plan in the Designer software using the grid, and measurements;
(3) We use sketchup, so somehow import it from sketchup.
Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance, and if anyone ever needs Photoshop help PM me (we teach that daily here).

Greg Bolton
Emerging Technologies/Communications Teacher
St. Theresa of Lisieux CHS,
Richmond Hill,ON

cnsranch
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi, Greg

I know that some have carved with MDF, I haven't, but would suspect a ton of dust.

Re fuzzies, carving on optimum really diminishes them, but with a lot of students, you likely don't have that kind of time. And, harder woods are obviously more expensive (but ash and walnut carve like a dream).

I've had a lot of luck with a Dremel tool and a stainless brush attachment for the fuzzies (I like stainless, the brass ones seem to leave black marks on the wood). I'll find the link for the brushes - bought a bag of them on EBay for not a lot of money.

Re the Adirondack, I've been planning on building a few, but I won't use the machine to do it. What I plan, and I suggest you think about, is cutting out the parts on the table saw, band saw, etc., then placing the back boards and arm rests on a sled and carving the designs into them then. Saves the machine, and for your kids, gives them some time on other machines as well.

Good luck

***EDIT***

Here's the link for the brushes - 36 for $20 is a pretty good deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-STAINLESS-CUP-WIRE-BRUSH-3-4-FITS-DREMEL-CMS1000SP_W0QQitemZ220451353597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3353ecb3fd&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

twiceretired
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Others have had an interest in this as well; do a search for "Adirondack" with the quotes. Sounds like a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

HighTechOkie
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
There was a post on here awhile back for "jack's chair." In the description of the project, he mentions making a template, since many family and friends will want 1 or more as well as you will likely want a couple for yourself. This is where the CarveWright shows its strength. Draw it up and make 1 precise template that can quickly be repeated with other tools(band saw/jig saw for rough outline and clean up with router and pattern bit).

Rob

cestout
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I mostly only carve pine - and #2 at that because that is all I can afford right now (just place the knots judiciously). I have been using a mop - usually 120 grit and mini mops for years - long before CW. After mopping, my carvings in pine - even on best setting - have everyone raving. And the mop is safe for kids to use. I have run it in my drill press and my lathe. I carved MDF once, that was the first time I had to replace the board sensor. It was dusty and not noticeably sharper that the pine.
Clint

Jvicaretti
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the link, I just bought some too. :)

cnsranch
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Watch those brushes - they tend to shed at high speeds, and those little wires can hurt!

Jvicaretti
08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I will thanks for the heads up

jpitz31
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
QJuice,

I do all of my test carves in MDF. When I get it right I then carve with the real wood. I do use a Dust Collector when I run the CW. I wear a mask with I cut MDF on my table saw.

Check out your local lumber supply and ask for Trupan Ultralight. It is 40 - 60% lighter than MDF and has only about 1% Formaldehyde. Much safer than MDF. From what I understand it is made from pine. It is much cheaper than sign board and many sign guys build with this instead. It looks just like MDF and does come in different densities.

The STL importer can read from Sketch-Up if you download a free utility that allows sketch-up to export to an .stl file. Search the forum for a link.

NASA uses Trupan for all of their CNC vacuum assisted jigs and sleds. Trupan is very porous and makes a great platform for vacuum hold downs.

Thanks

Joe

dbfletcher
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Do you know if it can be found at Lowes or Home Depot? What density do you reccommed... or does that entirely depend on the project?

QJuice
08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
All the help and advice is very appreciated.
I’m going to check out Lowes tomorrow for that product.
Greg

jpitz31
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Depends on the HD and Lowes. My local stores do not carry it. But some of the posts I have read on the Shop Bot forum indicate that they have purchased it at either location.

I would check some of your local lumber yards or google for it in your area.

I would say that for your students learning and practice cutting that the density would not make much difference, go for the price.

Once you have a specific use then from what I understand they sell it in different densities.

Thanks

Joe

wasacop75
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
There are a lot of websites out there that have patterns for the chairs. I have downloaded many of them and they seem to be very good.

Its a matter of finding the style you like and building it.

Woodhacker
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Greg, if you will send me your email address in a PM I will send you a zip file of "Jake's Chair". It is too big a file to post on the forum.

Richard

QJuice
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Woodhacker...that would be awesome, thanks.

Another question...when cutting sign foam does it create a lot of dust like mdf does?

Greg

atauer
08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
There will be a lot of dust using the foam. I have done a couple small projects in foam myself, just to see how it carves, and there is significant dust.

I would recommend keeping the machine clean during carving, by either blowing it out or vacuuming it out.

lostinthefrost
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Is there a chance you can email me that zip for that chair too? Plz

lostinthefrost@gmail.com

much appreciated

Woodhacker
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Soon as I find it again. It is on a CD around here somewhere....just have to move some of the piles around and find it...lol

Richard

coop2739
09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Richard,

If you would send me a copy also.

elcooper1@yahoo.com

cnsranch
09-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Try here, guys...

http://www.internetwoodworking.com/w5/chair.html