PDA

View Full Version : Bit Breakage and why

Steven Alford
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Was doing a search online for new bits and came across this website that discusses why carving bits break. Thought some of you might want to read it. Be aware that it is very technical. Hope it helps somebody!!

http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/calibrating_feeds_n_speeds.htm

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Interesting website.....

Nice Bits...

AL

dbfletcher
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Are you going to try any bits from that site? If you come across a good souce.. please share

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I am good on bits for now, I do need more locking rings. Can't find where I ordered them from.

AL

Steven Alford
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Actually Jeff Birt is a distributor for these bits. I have ordered one from him and should see it in a day or two. Jeff says they will last 2 to 3 times longer than the CW bit. They have four flutes compared to the three on the CW. I will let you know.

I have to tell you all a little funny story. I ordered this bit from Jeff, not knowing he was a distributor for this company. He mentioned the name in an email so, of course, I did a google search and guess what?? This company is 24 miles from my house.

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Good to know about Jeff.

This company distributing Planer Blades is owned by my next door neighbor.

The Planer Blade ESTA-USA and DISPOZ-A-BLADE now offer the industry's first self setting knife for both planers and jointers.

http://www.estausa.com/self-set.html

AL

al2888dj
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Made in the USA by Whiteside Machine Company

Jeff_Birt
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for bringing up the tutorials section of the Precisebits site Steve. It is important to consider why things go wrong so steps can be taken to avoid the problem(s). Probably the most important thing to consider is they mention the cleanliness of the collet as being paramount. No matter what type of tool holding system you use, keeping the mating surfaces clean is vitally important. There is no such thing as a chuck you don't have to clean!

Steven Alford
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, the Collet Clean that they link to does not seem to be available. What do some of you guys use?

Jeff_Birt
08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Here is the webpage for it: http://precisebits.com/products/chemicals/colletcare.asp

When using the CW QuickChuck it is recommended to use a light oil, like 3-in-1, to wipe down the adapters and chuck between bit changes. Note to all - This does not mean drown the QuickChuck in oil, that will only cause more problems. I put a few drop of 3-in-1 on a rag that I keep at the machine and wipe the adapters when taking them out and putting them in. I do the same thing on my big Bridgeport mills at work to keep the collets clean and and free from oxidation.

mtylerfl
08-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I am good on bits for now, I do need more locking rings. Can't find where I ordered them from.

AL

Hi AL,

You could probably get those from just about any R/C hobby store. I used to use them on my planes to mount wheels onto the landing gear.

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi AL,

You could probably get those from just about any R/C hobby store. I used to use them on my planes to mount wheels onto the landing gear.

That's good to know...

Thanks,

AL