PDA

View Full Version : need info on production cnc

skeeterman
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
looking to buy a production cnc router for my shop any ideas on what is good machine to buy, also are they much faster than the carvewright, one of the things i want to produce in quantity takes 36 minutes to do on carvewright, need to cut that time by a lot to make a go at it.
any help would be appreciated.
I was thinking that there was a few members out there that have production machines and i could use your input
thanks Steve

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Since the CW won't meet your needs check out another forum called Sawmill Creek. They have a CNC Thread with lots of GREAT info and a great place to ask questions after you search and read. If you just ask before searching and reading, they might stomp you.... This question is asked often.

Good Luck !!!

The Shop Bot Forum is a great read too.....

AL

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

pine acres woodshop
08-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Check with Ike, he had one he was selling. I don't know if he still has it or if it is for sale, that was quite awhile ago.

skeeterman
08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
after a little research, i am finding out that the bigger cnc's wont cut that much faster in 3-D so maybe i need to get several carvewrights to up production.
steve

jpitz31
08-14-2009, 11:18 AM
skeeterman,

The CW is a great little home machine. But If your production business is concerned about mission critical up time or you can afford several machines as back ups. I would consider another machine for production cutting.

Al, has the hardware background and I am sure he keeps plenty of spare parts on hand. Also I am not sure the CW was designed for running 8 hours a day, day after day.

I would be really concerned about loosing one to two machines when committed to filling an order for a customer.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Pratyeka
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
looking to buy a production cnc router for my shop any ideas on what is good machine to buy, also are they much faster than the carvewright, one of the things i want to produce in quantity takes 36 minutes to do on carvewright, need to cut that time by a lot to make a go at it.
any help would be appreciated.
I was thinking that there was a few members out there that have production machines and i could use your input
thanks Steve

You need to look into multi-spindle industrial machines, that should set you back quite a bit ($25,000+).

I started building my own CNC router, 24" X 36" X 6" and so far spent ~$500 for the motor/driver set and ~$300 for the lead screws. The rest I got from junk stuff at work. Aluminium extrusion framing and $1500 worth of linear guides.

HighTechOkie
08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
You need to look into multi-spindle industrial machines, that should set you back quite a bit ($25,000+).

I started building my own CNC router, 24" X 36" X 6" and so far spent ~$500 for the motor/driver set and ~$300 for the lead screws. The rest I got from junk stuff at work. Aluminium extrusion framing and $1500 worth of linear guides.

A guy can buy several CWs for $25k :). Then you're not in such a bind if one or two go down. Plus you have machines to swaps parts with.

Rob

skeeterman
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I tend to agree with you Rob, that is a lot of carvewrights for the price of one commercial unit, Plus if things dont work out I think it would be easier to get rid of several smaller units versus one very exspensive one.
Ok I am in the market for some carvewrights or compucarves anybody got any good deals out there
Steve

hogiewan
08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
look at shopbots and k2 if you need a ready-made solution. There are sites with plan for cnc routers if you are wiling to do some work and accept some risk for a lower monetary cost

Pratyeka
08-16-2009, 01:24 PM
A guy can buy several CWs for $25k :). Then you're not in such a bind if one or two go down. Plus you have machines to swaps parts with.

Rob

If you are looking for production quality and reliability, with consistant results, the CW won't give it to you. Let hobby machine stay in the hobby. Mass production needs a good ROI, not headaches.