PDA

View Full Version : High Head Pressure

3Ddriller
08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I purchased a second hand CW, I have replaced the drill head and X-Drive gears and proceeded to check the head pressure with my wifes scale. At 5 clicks the scale showed 110-120 lbs can anyone tell me what i can do? In an attempt to remedy i have adjusted the bolts on top and tried backing off from the bottom but nothing seems to lessen the pressure.:mad:

Steven Alford
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
How about turning it less clicks?? Maybe two

twiceretired
08-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Someone a while back posted that they had taken the crank handle off, and sprayed white lube in between the washers, and the head pressure came down to 80 lbs. I tried that when my head pressure was low, and it worked, mine came up to 78lbs.

3Ddriller
08-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I have put 1 click and its showing 100, when i get home i will try lubing the crank handle. Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree.... Remove the crank and lube the hardware.... Putting the crank back on.... find the notch then tighten the screw. Could be jammed.

Clean the smooth rails too and the screw threads and I lube both with Molly.

AL

forqnc
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Someone a while back posted that they had taken the crank handle off, and sprayed white lube in between the washers, and the head pressure came down to 80 lbs. I tried that when my head pressure was low, and it worked, mine came up to 78lbs.

I believe that might have been me.
I had a pressure of 150 to 160 :shock: and lubing the behind the crank handle cured it.
Good Luck

3Ddriller
08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I have removed and lubed the crank handle it dropped my head pressure to 90-110 lbs. any more suggestions?

Gean
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
I have removed and lubed the crank handle it dropped my head pressure to 90-110 lbs. any more suggestions?

Try thoroughly cleaning the four vertical corner "rails" and the two threaded ones (one on each side), then lubricate them well. Run the head up and down a few times to distribute the lube and then check your head pressure.

eusriws
08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Try thoroughly cleaning the four vertical corner "rails" and the two threaded ones (one on each side), then lubricate them well. Run the head up and down a few times to distribute the lube and then check your head pressure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check that the head is level with the base. If it is not level it can cause it to bind. You also need to lubricate the four vertical guide posts with lithium grease occasionally. I had a similar issue and this fixed the problem for me.

Good luck, also be sure to sign up for the tipa and tricks

Rick

Old Salt
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
if you can't get pressure down with greese you can grind some off the spring to lessen presure.

Kenm810
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Just a thought,

I recall getting my machine back from Texas one time and the box looked like it was handled a little roughly.
After setting it backup on my DD Cabinet, and had problems starting a few projects.
I found the head pressure was way to high with only one or to kicks of the handle.
Apparently somewhere in shipping the corner posts got knocked out of alignment,
so I loosened the bolts on top a little, shuck the head a bit then cranked
the head up and down a few times and re tightened the bolt. -- 85Lb's on the dot.

Like I said just a thought

3Ddriller
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks folks, i'll try a few more things and let ya'll know

TIMCOSBY
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
think of it i have never checked mine. is the excess pressure causing it to do something weird?

3Ddriller
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Your X-drive gears are plastic, if the head pressure is too excessive(LHR recomends 80 Lbs. with 5 clicks on the crank handle) you run the risk of stripping teeth on the X-drive. I only have 15 hrs. on my CW and have replaced the X-drive gears already.

3Ddriller
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Well I cleaned my CW and lubed the guide rails, that dropped the head pressure to about 85 lbs. Still not quite satisfied but want to get carving so i backed off 1/4 turn on the crank and settled for 75 lbs and got busy, did a 65 min. carve with no errors.. I'll call it a success for now... thanks for the help