PDA

View Full Version : Scaling issues

albertk836
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
First, I am new with the system.

I am carving a sundial I have made with the software.
Two of the lines of the sundial are missing on the output (board).

The manual on page 29 indicates I should see "Keep Original Size" , "Scale", or "Load New Board". I only see the last 2 options. I assume the missing lines are because of selecting the "Scale" option.
I used the machine to measure the board (afterwards) and saw it says the board is .051" smaller that the project board width. (10.5" by eye but the machine says 10.459")

The board is about 8" longer than the software board size so it will stay under the rollers.

My questions...

Do I setup the software's board size to what the machine measures it to?
or
Do I make sure the software's board size is always smaller than the actual board, (if so, which size: width, length or both)

The 3.5" required on each end of the board, should that be included in the software's board size?

I love the machine, just trying to figure it out...

Icutone2
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forum. When the board showes up narrower than the required or size in designer, I tape a 1/4 " piece of scrap the same thickness as the project board to the far side and in the mesuring area of the board and it sees it to be wide enough. Before carving I remove the piece and continue. Hope this helps it works for me.
Lee

Pratyeka
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
put a piece of masking tape on one end of the board, centered, and make the machine think it is longer than it needs to be. 1/8" overhang will do. Then choose the "center on board" option.

cnsranch
08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Welcome - you've really got a handle on your problem for being new to the machine...

So long as the machine will not carve within 1/2" or so from the edges of your board, you can always tell the machine the Designer board is narrower than the real one - many do that, 'cause the machine can make a narrower measurement than you believe it is. You just want to make sure that the bit doesn't carve into the brass roller on the keypad side of the machine.

And as P said, center on the board.

Remember to take plenty of pics and let us see your project.

blantz
08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
albertk836
There is some good information at carvewright.com on this subject and many others called tips and tricks under the project tab. (Issue 18 scaling and how to avoid it) Tip and tricks explains it well. I cut the width of my boards .250” wider than the designer board and my actual board is 7+ inches longer than the designer board. Welcome to the forum.

forqnc
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
My questions...

or
Do I make sure the software's board size is always smaller than the actual board, (if so, which size: width, length or both)

This I would say is personal preference, I usually set up the board in design slightly smaller than my 'eye' measurement on the width and then subtract 7.25" from the actual length of my board. This way I can see in designer where the machine will be carving. Of course the can get expensive on wasting the 3.5" scraps. When I want to avoid the 'waste' I use a sled or tape extra pieces to the board.
Good Luck, look forward to seeing some of your projects.

liquidguitars
08-15-2009, 12:51 PM
First, I am new with the system.

I am carving a sundial I have made with the software.
Two of the lines of the sundial are missing on the output (board).

The manual on page 29 indicates I should see "Keep Original Size" , "Scale", or "Load New Board". I only see the last 2 options. I assume the missing lines are because of selecting the "Scale" option.
I used the machine to measure the board (afterwords) and saw it says the board is .051" smaller that the project board width. (10.5" by eye but the machine says 10.459")

The board is about 8" longer than the software board size so it will stay under the rollers.

My questions...

or

The 3.5" required on each end of the board, should that be included in the software's board size?

I love the machine, just trying to figure it out...

albertk836,

save yourself some hassle and make designer and your board the same size and be done with it. you will keep to a industrial standered this way. :D

use keep under rollers = no
keep the same size = yes
place on end = yes

LG