PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen this?

TBone
08-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Folks!

Long time reader and first time poster here. :-)

I've been using my machine for awhile with no problems and having a great time. However today i was running the machine and happened to look in the door and see what looked like some sort of "sleeve" right above the mounting chuck slipping up and down. Here's a pic:

http://www.octoberguitars.com/machine_pic.JPG

Is this something that has come loose that needs repair, or has it always been there and I'm just noticing it? It didn't look like it should be moving up and down like that. I'll leave the machine off in the meantime.8)

Icutone2
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Check the threads for Z truck repair. Saw something a while ago abought that being a bearing ring or something. Sorry cant help with changing it.
OH WELCOME to the forum!
Lee

woodsnwaters
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Tbone,

I believe that is the spindle damper and yes it needs repair before running the machine.

TBone
08-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Lee, I'll do a search for it now. :)

TBone
08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Spindle damper! At least i know what i'm looking at now.*LOL* Thanks guys!

joesighting
08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
It's called a tolerance ring and I'm not aware of any way to fix it. Search that too. Good Luck

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 12:30 PM
At this time there is no fix for it. A replacement Z Truck is the only fix. Hold on to it but they might want it back for a core. It happens with refurbished Z Trucks when the Tech does not seat the damper or tolerance ring correctly and it vibrates out. I have tried to get them to stay up but have given up. I had to replace my Truck too.

AL

www.go3d.us
08-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I think you also need a few drop of 10W-40 oil on the spindle because it looked rusty. Add a few drop of oil and brush it around that thing, it doesn't look good when it rusted. :)
HT

TBone
08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Folks,

I called out there and they told me it was indeed the tolerance ring, and to just send the Z truck back and they'd fix it...I only need to pay shipping.:D

Oh and I'll definitely put some oil on that spindle Go3D...I'm going to lube the whole machine while it's down.:cool: