PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck and sleave/flat orientation

dbfletcher
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok, I have read a bunch of posts on this... and the more i read the more confused I get I think. According to Ron, the slit in the sleave and the flat on the shaft should point toward the hex head. Does that mean directly at teh head.. or parallel with the head. See attached drawing. I blieve the one on the right is the correct orientation... but like I said, I have read so many posts on the topic I have managed to totally confuse myself. Should the flat on the shaft always bee perpendicular to the slit in the sleeve?

Doug Fletcher

PS. Sorry for the slew of posts lately... I hope I dont wear out my welcome.

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Your first drawing is what you want. You want the slit or the flat spot to run parallel with the hex head, at lest that is the way I understand it.

rjustice
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Your first drawing is what you want. You want the slit or the flat spot to run parallel with the hex head, at lest that is the way I understand it.

Nope... you want the second drawing... you want the slit to point right at the center of the hex in the clamp screw... I will post a picture in a few minutes... As soon as I locate the camera...

rjustice
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Ok here are a couple pictures that show both a tool with a flat, and a sleeve inserted properly.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me...

Thanks, and Happy Carving....

Ron

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Well!! 3 out of 3 wrong!!
I think I will just keep my mouth shut from now on!:(;)

wasacop75
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Steve,

Somehow with your vast knowledge on these machines, you will not be keeping quiet for long:rolleyes:

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
vast knowledge? I wish!!
Thanks for the compliment but I have a lot to learn about this machine. I know how to run it, but if something goes wrong, I'm stuck. And the software? Got a long ways to go with that one too!

LollyWood
08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Ron,
If the bit (w/o a sleeve) has a flat on it, it should also be facing the hex nut?? :confused: As in pic 2?

rjustice
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes,
Just like the picture... And to add to that, if you have a tool with a flat in the sleeve, face the flat, and the slit towards the hex in the screw...

Happy Carving,

Ron

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I am getting confused myself Ron. I am sure you posted some pictures awhile back that showed the opposite of what you are saying. Do you have those pictures yet you mentioned above??

rjustice
08-11-2009, 06:18 AM
I am getting confused myself Ron. I am sure you posted some pictures awhile back that showed the opposite of what you are saying. Do you have those pictures yet you mentioned above??

Hi Steve,
They are shown in post #4 in this thread..

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 10:01 AM
If you use the locking rings like I do and place them like I did, the slot is always high in the rock and never an issue.

AL

Steven Alford
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok, thank you Ron. I am now edumacated!!;)
I do put grommet rings on mine the way Al does so I guess that means even though I have been putting them in wrong, all is ok because the flat spot is above the screw, right??