PDA

View Full Version : Board tracking wheel

dbfletcher
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
How freely should the brass board tracking wheel spin? While cleaning the machine out today I rolled the wheel with my fingers while the machine was off. I was thinking before it spun rather easlily. But it definately feels to have a lot of drag. I dont feel any slop or lay and it turn smoothly... but I just dont remember it being that difficult to turn.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Mine turns freely. I hope that is good??:confused:

dbfletcher
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
hmmm.. i think we need better ways to describe this. What are you calling freely? Does it spin on its own? do u feel any drag?

Does anyone out there have a good way to 'quantify' the way the roller should rotate? Like i said.. i dont 'feel' any play.. but it doesnt "spin" either.. my best description would be similair to a bearing packed with grease (heavy grease). It turns smoothly... but you cant 'spin' it. I hope someone can follow this and come up with better ways to describe and quantify.

Doug Fletcher

If this helps it is considerably harder to turn the the cutting head chuck

Kenm810
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I can remember the one on mine turning with very little resistance,
but not quite to the point of making spin more than
once or twice freely with my finger.

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I just went out to the shop and gave it a "flick". It turns very freely but does not spin. I feel no resistance.

dbfletcher
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Hmmm.. i guess that means I most likely have a problem then. So..... does anyone have any steps for me to go thru on how to check/free up the tracking wheel or is replacement my only option?

mtylerfl
08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Hmmm.. i guess that means I most likely have a problem then. So..... does anyone have any steps for me to go thru on how to check/free up the tracking wheel or is replacement my only option?

Hello,

You can check to see if the rubber O-ring has come out of the groove. Perhaps it is binding in the space between the traction belt and the underside of the stationary board guide???

Also, make sure you don't have any belt roll-up at the edge near the tracking sensor. The thickness of a roll-up could cause the belt to rub against the rubber O-ring. (Tight clearance there.)

Just a couple guesses as to possible cause;)

dbfletcher
08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Michael,

Your a genius!!! That is exactly what it was... the o-ring had popped out of the groove and was jammed under the stationary squaring plate.

Now I'm starting to think they should sell the carvewright as a kit. You just get all the parts and you have to assemble it yourself. That would probably make troubleshooting a lot easier since we would remember (i hope) what things looked like when first assembled.

I fly RC helicopters and all the one's i own were bought in kit form. Thats about the only way to get intimately aquainted with you machine if you build it from the ground up. I guess you could also just totally disassmble and reassemble... but that is when you find all the "extra" none important parts! :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Michael,

Your a genius!!!

Doug Fletcher

Hi Doug,

Glad it was a simple fix! Lucky guess on my part.

However, I'm going to have my wife read your message over and over and over....

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being a genius before - maybe I can brainwash the wife!;)