PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Bit Issues

exmli03
08-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Can anyone help me. I have had my machine now for about 6 weeks. I have now broke 2 seperate cutting bits. Do you now why? Can I just replace the bit itself without replaceing the adapter? Can anyone help?

SteveEJ
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I may not be the best at answering this but this is what I am doing..

Look at when setting a cutting path, in designer, and have it cut shallow cuts in multiple paths until complete. There is the ability, in designer to select the max cut depth for each path. I am setting mine to .25 inches for pine and .15 for hardwoods. I am tired of breaking cut bits so I am going conservative. Remember, this has to be set each time a cut is set. Look in the software and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps,

Digitalwoodshop
08-09-2009, 02:35 PM
If you do a search on "broken bit" you might find a bunch of posts talking about all the things that can cause a broken bit.

Not sure if LHR sells the cutting bit without the holder?

AL

SAA3840
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Unless you're going deeper than 7/16", go to Lowes, Home Depot or anywhere that sells router bits and buy a 1/4" shaft straight bit. They cost only about $12 and they will work in the Carvewright/Compucarves, trust me, that's what I did. If you're going to cut deeper, you'll have to use the Carvewright bit but set it to take like 1/16" or 1/8" at a time. I broke three bits in a row before I went to Lowes.

Another thing, if you want to do a cut-path, try using the shorter/cheaper bit and instead of selecting "cut path" select the 1/8" straight bit and set it to cut like 3/8" deep then when the carve's done, finish the cut with a scroll saw or a jig saw.

I just said the same thing twice, didn't I. Oh well.

rickyz
08-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I too have gone through many of the cutting bits. i have had the board not track right, drilling projects, etc. I even broke one while using the rock chuck. some of the bits have broken in less than a week for one reason or another all in select pine. setting the depth of cut and making multiple passes do help. I even tried using a rotozip sabrecut bit to cut out some parts in 3/4 inch select pine and it worked with no flexing. I just made light passes and kept my eye on the machine. if it breaks I am out a whopping 2.00 instead of the 39.00 plus shipping and handling. I am afraid to try on harder wood but who knows. I would definitely think about a rock chuck. made a huge difference for me. that, and everybody on this site. responses are a lot quicker that's for sure. lol I ordered some brushes for my cut motor and recieved the brushes before I recieved an e-mail response about ordering them. go figure.

rickyz
08-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't think they sell just the bits alone. only with the adapters. I think that as more people buy a rock chuck, the less people are going to be buying bits from carvewright. That is a shame but I don't need more adapters that I don't need. Hang in there. when I first got my machine, I had all sorts of problems, mostly user error. I actually kinda gave up on the machine and let it sit for about a year. Now, I use it just about every day. Love it.

cestout
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I had all kinds of problems with my first machine, finally Sears replaced it rather than fix it. The new one runs great, no problems yet. I think machine upgrades fixed the problems I had with the first. But in all this time, I have never had a broken bit, (broke a chuck, but the bit was fine) and I don't even know where to fine the option to set how much to take each pass (I will have to look for that). There has to be something else wrong. Are you staying under the rollers, tracking straight? Also, I still use the CW chuck and see no need to change. My point is, you need to find the real problem - it won't go away until you do.
Clint

mtylerfl
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
... I don't even know where to fine the option to set how much to take each pass (I will have to look for that)...
Clint

Hello Clint,

When you first create a cut path, a Cut-Out Control window automatically pops up allowing you to make your settings for number of tabs, the max. pass depth for the cut, etc.

You can also edit a cut path at any time...with your cut path selected, click on the icon that looks like a pair of scissors, or go to Tools/Edit Cut Out in the main menu bar to call up the Cut Out Control window. Either method allows you to make (or change) your settings.

There is a detailed illustration/explanation of the features for the Cut-Out Control window in the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 12 September 2008 "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

rjustice
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Another option if you wish to stay with the QC, is that i sell the 1/8 bit adapters for it, which will let you use 1/8 straight shank bits. I have these on my website as well... This bit also works in the "Rock Chuck" using the 1/8 Rock sleeve...

You can check them out on my website... click the link below.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Ron