PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo

dbfletcher
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I was at out local "Ollies" today and they had a bunch of Bamboo cutting boards. It said bamboo is an eco friendly alternative to many hardwoods. Now i know bamboo is technically a "grass", but i figured for $3.00 (14" x10" )I'd get one and see how it carved. I was very very impressed with how smooth the resulting carve was. I think i might go look for bamboo planks now. Anyonelese have any experience with bamboo? Will it take stain? Just curious if anyone else has tried anything with it.

Doug Fletcher

Woodhacker
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Doug. Never tried bamboo on the machine yet. I see it used all the time on the woodworking and home repair shows. Seems like they say it takes stain and paint pretty good. I'm a little surprised that it carved so well. Would seem to be that it would have a terminal case of the fuzzies. I will have to give it a whack and see what happens.

Richard

Steven Alford
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM
What or who is "Ollies"
Maybe I have one of those here and can look for some of this bamboo.

dbfletcher
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Hmm. it is one of those discount stores who buy closeout inventory, etc in huge quantities and pass the saving on. Not sure how else to describe it.. but "big lots" is another store like that in our area. I would think there are similiar store almost everywhere.. just the names may change.

Steven Alford
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Can you attach a photo of what these boards look like?

dbfletcher
08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
sure.. i'll take some pre and post carves tomorrow. As far as fuzzies.... it is very close to none. if u rank pine at a 2... i'd put the bamboo up around an 8. Corian is the only thing i've craved that was smoother.. but i havent really done much (read none) hardwood (oak, etc)

Pratyeka
08-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I believe bamboo is very high in silica content and will wear out the bit faster.

SteveEJ
08-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I believe bamboo is very high in silica content and will wear out the bit faster.

High silica just like Aspen? I worked with it (aspen), normal cutting and routing and the bits dulled in no time.

dbfletcher
08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
If you still want to post pics of the carved bamboo, let me know. But after the reponse that is it mostly likely very hard on the tools becuase of the silica... i've decided not to pursue it. It does sadden me however becuase I really liked the way it carved.

I guess I will shell out some $ for hardwood and try that. Like i said i mostly have ust used select pine and corian once.

Doug Fletcher

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree, I go through my bits rather quickly as it is on hardwood, don't want to go any faster!!

I would be curious to know how long people's bits last in certain woods??

I mainly use red oak (because I can get a good deal on 1/2") and I find that my 1/16 carving bit will last about 50 hours.

Pratyeka
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree, I go through my bits rather quickly as it is on hardwood, don't want to go any faster!!

I would be curious to know how long people's bits last in certain woods??

I mainly use red oak (because I can get a good deal on 1/2") and I find that my 1/16 carving bit will last about 50 hours.

Is that a TiN plated one or the unplated kind?

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM
The ones you get from LHR. I assume the platted ones.

hogiewan
08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
when is a bit "done"?

Steven Alford
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I can usually tell by the fact that I get way more "fuzzies" in my carving and the bit gets black with pitch faster than normal. Also, you can notice that the tailings from the carve have a tendency to stay attached to the wood; bit not sharp enough to fully cut them off.

I really think some of the broke bit problems people are having could be because their bit is getting dull. A dull bit has to push in to the wood harder to cut the wood. I have had one project board move side ways in the machine from the pressure. I am sure it was not tightened down all the way somewhere too.