PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly video?

JDPratt
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
First all thanks to everyone for all the help. I also just found Askbud help videos (wow, these are great!). Now can anyone tell me where to find a disassembly video. I cant really make out the pics in the CW customer service PDFs well enough to see what I am doing. I got to tell you, I am scared as hell to remove one bolt/screw/nut from this thing until I am sure I know what I am doing. This is not like changing jointer knives or rewiring a table saw motor. If someone can give me a link to youtube or somewhere else I would appreciate it. I keep getting a Z-axis error, and occasionally a clean y-rails error. I would be happy to clean it, but I don't want to shoot the cow to get the milk (so to speak).

AskBud
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I do not know of video(s), but here is a CW link to many repair/replacement situations.
Drop down the list to the Service section.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

JDPratt
08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Bud, That is where I went as recommended by one of your previous posts, but I can't really make out some of the pics and I am quite sure with my lack of tech and computer savvy I will break something unless I see it in real video. Please feel free to call me stupid or scared or a plethora of other names.

AskBud
08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
First try some basic things rather than thinking about tearing anything apart.
Z-axis:
The truck head moves up & down (Z-axis). With the unit turned off, move the truck up & down and blow air (your sweeper or Shop Vac is good enough in most cases). Blow the air while moving the truck, and change directions several times to blow out any chips that may be lodged in the belt & gear area. You may also remove the Black plastic covers on the truck bearings and blow away any dust/dirt.

Y-axis:
The truck "side to side" (horizontal) movement is the y-axis.
Again, move the truck along the track and also blow that track to eliminate any dust/chips.

If either movement, above, feels stiff (with the unit turned off) apply some White Lithium grease the proper rails.

This is not a cover-all, but it may solve your problems. If not, then it is time to investigate further.
AskBud

HighTechOkie
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey John, being half blind I can relate to be afraid of tearing the thing apart and breaking something or losing a part. Al (Digitalwoodshop) has posted some great close-up photos of several parts on the machine. Using his photos in conjunction with the pdfs, I've tore into the machine several times for repairs with no problems. It really isn't that bad once you get the cover off and see how relatively simple the machine is. Most of it is just a handful of screws and some cables that push into molded connectors.

When you can get tech support on the phone, they are pretty good about walking you through any procedure while you are at the machine. There are several guys on the forum that are glad to help as well, all you have to do is ask. :) You've got my number. I'm more that glad to help where I can.

Also doing a search on the forum for a specific error can lead too a good troubleshooting sequence. For error codes you need to put the term in quotes...i.e. "clean y rail".

Rob

DocWheeler
08-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey John, being half blind I can relate to be afraid of tearing the thing apart and breaking something or losing a part. Al (Digitalwoodshop) has posted some great close-up photos of several parts on the machine. Using his photos in conjunction with the pdfs, I've tore into the machine several times for repairs with no problems. It really isn't that bad once you get the cover off and see how relatively simple the machine is. Most of it is just a handful of screws and some cables that push into molded connectors.

Rob,

I agree, I almost posted earlier that a new owner would be ahead of the game if they took the top off a couple of times early in the game to get familiar with the plugs and clips and get over the fear of it.

If I can do it one-handed, it can't be that big of a deal now can it?

Woodhacker
08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I, for one, think it would be absolutely wonderful if there were a complete disassembly video available. While I have already taken some things apart, I hesitate to venture too deep onto the machine. I'm still new enough at it to be a little leery of taking something loose and not being able to get it back together. I used to have that problem doing my own mechanicing. One of the smartest things I ever did was find a good mechanic and built a good working relationship with him. I NEVER have spare car parts left over now....lol.

Richard