PDA

View Full Version : edge routing

Dan-Woodman
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Has anyone tried edge routing. If so does it work. and would it work if the corner was cut off at a 45 angle or the corners cut out in an arc.
I quess what I 'M trying to say is will the edge rout feature follow contours?

cmorlier
04-05-2006, 09:24 AM
The edge rout as commanded from the keypad does not follow contours. The reason for this is that it would take a very long time to map the edges with the current board sensor.

If you want to rout contours, you will need to use the designer and let the machine cut it out for you.

nwn
04-05-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't quite understand your answer. Do you mean that if I contour the edge, the designer edge rout command will follow the contour, or I should rout the contour with a shaped bit, and then cut the contour with a cutting bit?

Neal

cmorlier
04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry. I meant you should rout the contour with a shaped bit, and then cut the contour with a cutting bit.

If you have existing boards that are already contoured, your best bet would be to edge rout with your trusty router and a piloted bit. Thats not to say the machine couldn't be cajoled into doing it for you, but grabbing your router is probably going to get you what you want quicker and with less hassle.