PDA

View Full Version : Ver. 1.1520 software

TWOATLOW8
08-06-2009, 09:29 AM
So has anyone carved using the new firmware yet ?

Has anything changed from 1.134 ?

Dont want to upgrade until good news.

AskBud
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I have not upgraded to 1.152 as yet, but here is the link to the currect changelog. In your case read down to the version you have.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/readme_1_152.txt

TWOATLOW8
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Bud
nothing against you but i dont want to see paperwork. I want to see/hear hard facts.

TWOATLOW8
08-06-2009, 12:59 PM
So what your saying is once you upgrade to 1.1520 you cannot go back ?

hmmm..if thats the case it will take alot for me to move...

liquidguitars
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Just the firmware right now and thats because it a new new build. so my thinking is SW 1.152 needs FW 1.152 this time around. Been tested buy Steve to be true.

From time to time LHR needs to update firmware builds that make a new benchmark for us.
So if you upgrade we start at that new level of firmware build not a real big issue unless you do not like the firmware or you have that golden build that works just right.

As a side note we have a extremely talented team of programmers working for us.

lg

Pratyeka
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Just the firmware right now and that because it a new new build.

From time to time LHR needs to update firmware builds that make a new benchmark for us.
So if you upgrade we start at that new level of firmware build not a real big issue unless you do not like the firmware or you have that golden build that works just right.

As a side note we have a extremely talented team of programmers working for us.

lg

I'm slow to catch today. If I put the 1.152 firmware on the memory card, I won't be able to revert to an earlier version??? even formatting the card won't help?

newcarver
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
i have my card at 1.126 firmware and use 1.120 software

liquidguitars
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm slow to catch today. If I put the 1.152 firmware on the memory card, I won't be able to revert to an earlier version??? even formatting the card won't help?

no if you compile in software 1.152 you will need firmware 1.152 or higher

LG

SteveEJ
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
And remember that if you develop or load a project in 1.152 and save that project then you will not be able to load it in an earlier version so you are locked into 1.152 designer and firmware or higher for that project to be modified and carved. Also, anyone you share the files with will have to use 1.152 as well.

mtylerfl
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

As LG said, the firmware on your card must match the Designer version, from 1.152 on.

Not a big deal, really- I know some folks liked to "mix-n-match" using a certain version of Designer then upload a project to their card that had a different firmware version on it. Mixing versions could increase the risk of a project not running properly, so I never thought it was a good idea anyway.

I think a couple folks learned some specialized "tricks" that led them to mixing versions, but I don't think that's such a good idea either. Probably better to figure out a methodology when creating projects so a "trick" won't be rendered useless in the future.

Personally, I have never run a project without making sure that both the version of Designer and the version of the firmware match. Keeps me trouble-free.;)

liquidguitars
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Not a big deal, really- I know some folks liked to "mix-n-match" using a certain version of Designer then upload a project to their card that had a different firmware version on it. Mixing versions could increase the risk of a project not running properly, so I never thought it was a good idea anyway.

Sorry not realy true this is how i test the firmware..

LG

Pratyeka
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
As LG said, the firmware on your card must match the Designer version, from 1.152 on.

I think a couple folks learned some specialized "tricks" that led them to mixing versions, but I don't think that's such a good idea either. Probably better to figure out a methodology when creating projects so a "trick" won't be rendered useless in the future.

Personally, I have never run a project without making sure that both the version of Designer and the version of the firmware match. Keeps me trouble-free.;)

no, not what I'm asking.
What I've read is if you put the firmware 1.152 on the card, you can't take it off and put a previous firmware back on the card. Not talking about patterns of a made on a designer of a different version than 1.152.

So what I asked is if I put the 1.152 firmware on the card, can I take it out and put an older firmware back on the card? Somebody mentioned something about the frimware being "locked", that raised alarm bells in my head...

dbfletcher
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
That wasnt the impression I got. It was my understanding that if you try to run a 1.152 compiled project, it would only work on firmware 1.152 and later. Howerver, if you still have 1.134 desinger and firmware, i dont think there is anything stopping you from formating the card and replaceing the firstware with whatever version you desire... jut that any compiled project done in designer 1.152 and later wont work with an earlier version of firmware loaded on the card.

That was my understanding of what LHR tech has stated in other messages.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
That wasnt the impression I got. It was my understanding that if you try to run a 1.152 compiled project, it would only work on firmware 1.152 and later. Howerver, if you still have 1.134 desinger and firmware, i dont think there is anything stopping you from formating the card and replaceing the firstware with whatever version you desire... jut that any compiled project done in designer 1.152 and later wont work with an earlier version of firmware loaded on the card.

That was my understanding of what LHR tech has stated in other messages.

Doug Fletcher

right..

What I've read is if you put the firmware 1.152 on the card, you can't take it off and put a previous firmware back on the card.

not sure if that could even be done. meaning not letting you upload a old version after a new.

LG

RMarkey
08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes, you can put older firmware back on the card. In the designer, go to file->flash manager, select "firmware", then select "latest firmware". It will load whatever firmware the designer currently contains. Version numbers of the card's fw and designer's fw/are displayed as well.

liquidguitars
08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes, you can put older firmware back on the card. In the designer, go to file->flash manager, select "firmware", then select "latest firmware". It will load whatever firmware the designer currently contains. Version numbers of the card's fw and designer's fw/are displayed as well.

Will we still be able to do this after 1.152 with newer firmware builds like always? or is error -25 to keep us from swapping firmware in the future.

I have not upgraded yet..

LG

Pratyeka
08-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I may order a second card, just in case, and keep v1.134 on it and a designer v1.134 on the pc separate from the latest version. I may be paranoid, but that comes from past experiences.

mtylerfl
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Hello,

It is my understanding that you can flash any firmware version you want onto your card, at any time you want.

What is different with 1.152 (and beyond) is that if you create a project with 1.152, you need to have the current firmware (in this case 1.152) on your card to be able to run the project.

If you still use older versions of Designer and want to flash your card with earlier (matching version) firmware, you still have the freedom to do that, no problem.

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Good Idea guys,
That's what I've done in the past
extra memory cards and all the Designer Versions
on a couple of different Pc's with their own
CW card reader in my Den. So I can re-flash or not.

Version 1.151 is on Memory Card #1 but not for long :wink:

mtylerfl
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Ken,

Yes, update from the 1.151 you have to the 1.152 right away. The 1.151 was never intended for public release and "snuck" out there somehow (1.151 failed internal testing - so don't use it.)

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Michael,

1.151 never made it to my machine, -- and never will.
I've got burned once before, so I tend to wait a few weeks
before I commit to a new designer update.
Not that I'm paranoid ------ to much :razz:

PCW
08-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Ken,

Yes, update from the 1.151 you have to the 1.152 right away. The 1.151 was never intended for public release and "snuck" out there somehow (1.151 failed internal testing - so don't use it.)

Michael,

Just so you are aware LHR released 1.151 and and I downloaded it from their website. It wasn't "snuck" it was posted for anyone to download.

I hope LHR didn't tell you that because if they did someone is not being honest with you...

liquidguitars
08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
What is different with 1.152 (and beyond) is that if you create a project with 1.152, you need to have the current firmware (in this case 1.152) on your card to be able to run the project.

my question is:

Has LHR locked the new version using error -25 so i never will be able to choose or swap new firmware builds after 1.152???

I understand that no older FW builds will work, i care about the future . hypothetically we could be stuck for months without a fix shutting us down until LHR find the issue.

if so we are in for a choppy ride people.

this is how rolling back can keep us working making $$$

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10505&page=6

LG

mtylerfl
08-08-2009, 01:34 PM
my question is:

Has LHR locked the new version using error -25 so i never will be able to choose or swap new firmware builds after 1.152???

I understand that no older FW builds will work, i care about the future . hypothetically we could be stuck for months without a fix shutting us down until LHR find the issue.

if so we are in for a choppy ride people.

this is how rolling back can keep us working making $$$

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10505&page=6

LG

Hi LG,

The link you posted to shows a project Doc made (he was having Y issues). Doc emailed that project to me just a few days ago to test for him, using 1.150 (just before 1.152 was released) I attached a photo of the test carve I did for him.

Doc will try running it again with the newer software and firmware. If he still has problems, then I strongly suspect his machine needs some kind of attention.

In any case, I have verified that the project runs perfectly fine on my own machine on 1.150 and, at this time, I do not believe the problem was particularly due to any version of firmware. Jury is still out though until Doc finds time to run it again with up-to-date software/firmware.

A side note...I am now running 1.152. All seems well, thus far!

mtylerfl
08-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Michael,

Just so you are aware LHR released 1.151 and and I downloaded it from their website. It wasn't "snuck" it was posted for anyone to download.

I hope LHR didn't tell you that because if they did someone is not being honest with you...

Hi Dan,

No problem - the 1.151 was at that link for in-house company download for internal testing. I think that someone simply forgot that the link was "public knowledge"!;)

(The only thing LHR has said was that it failed testing and was not to be released publicly.)

liquidguitars
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I do not believe the problem was particularly due to any version of firmware.

Sorry wrong, if you look at the firmware bug list last posted to the testers you would see this " line #4" if you have a question about it you can PM me. But its fixed now..

I have a call into Chris Lovchic about my question.

for the record: i not saying that anything is wrong I just have a simple question and was hopeing that Metallus could take the time to answer for me before i upgrade.
LHR in no way required to answer any of my/our questions at any time ever. I not freaking out as i can use the old copy.

LG

PCW
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Dan,

No problem - the 1.151 was at that link for in-house company download for internal testing. I think that someone simply forgot that the link was "public knowledge"!;)

(The only thing LHR has said was that it failed testing and was not to be released publicly.)

Michael,

Thank You for making that clear. I just didn't want someone to assume that I did anything wrong.:mrgreen:

liquidguitars
08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Good Idea guys,
That's what I've done in the past
extra memory cards and all the Designer Versions
on a couple of different Pc's with their own
CW card reader in my Den. So I can re-flash or not.

Version 1.151 is on Memory Card #1 but not for long :wink:

Ken,
Thats cool, i keep the backups of the firmware on my drive and work with the newest Designer copy. I now setup a directory like yours but only going back to 1.131 to 1.152

I been really happy the way my machines have be working building my instruments unstoppable now. error checking seems spot on and
carving away for hrs at a time.

LG

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 05:58 PM
LG,

Guess I'm just an old pack rat!
As long as I disc space and backup discs,
I save just about everything --- finding it again is the tuff part sometimes. :razz:

Love your work and your photos -- hope to be making a little dust and chips again myself soon. :wink:

liquidguitars
08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Ken,

sound bite..

"mark of Zorro"
http://www.liquidguitars.com/ViolinMAG06.wma

LG

blantz
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
If a pattern is made with a new version of software, can the pattern be opened by older versions of software if sent as an mpc file?

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 08:42 PM
LG Very Nice!!

mtylerfl
08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
If a pattern is made with a new version of software, can the pattern be opened by older versions of software if sent as an mpc file?

No, they cannot.

blantz
08-09-2009, 03:47 PM
No, they cannot.
Michael,
Thanks for the reply

jlovchik
08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
There seems to be a little bit of misinformation going on about the software/firmware relationship. It has always been the case that you run the latest version of firmware with the latest version of the software. If you don't do it, none of the new features or fixes will work. Mix matching the two is asking for trouble on any software release, and would not be surprising if it causes problems. So if new software release has a new cut feature to make it more efficient or have more control, and then you use an older version of the firmware, you essentially contradict the new feature, which will most likely produce an undesirable result such as breaking bits. To run a printer you need to run the proper drivers as well. So even if you are running an older version of software, always use the proper firmware with it. This is nothing new.

In 1.150 we added a new feature allowing patterns to be placed relative to the bottom of the board. This was essential for the STL software as it allows multiple pieces to be carved and then reassembled properly. This change required some restructuring of the software making it not backwards compatible. Since we began this company our customers have been requesting new features. In order to keep creating new features, there will be versions of the software that will not be backwards compatible. This is the nature of any software produced by any company. This has also been the case with many of our software updates. This is nothing new.

We do our best to test our software before released, but catching everything is very difficult even with testers. 1.150 did get released with bugs we were not aware of, and 1.152 is a bug release to address those issues. 1.151 however was never released. It was posted on the site as a test version, but not meant to be downloaded by any customers. Customers may choose to not upgrade, and continue to use an older version. If you want to use 1.134 than go ahead and continue to do so as long as you use 1.134 firmware. There is nothing preventing you from changing back to an early version. Just remember that we cannot support earlier versions of the software. Doing so would require a separate software team for each version, which we don't have. Or customers may wait until there has been a bug release, which is actually why 1.150 was never announced as an update. It was needed to release the STL importer, but with such major changes we anticipated a few bugs to get past us. The release we announce will generally be the bug fix release, which was the case with the newsletter announcement of 1.152. I hope this clears up a few things.

Now lets all get back to carving!

Thanks,

Joe Lovchik
Marketing Directer