PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

Steven Alford
08-05-2009, 06:29 PM
WOW!!
Do you realize we have not had a new T&T since May???
LHR must have laid off some people. Three months behind!

PCW
08-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Steve,

It is no surprise that the economy has change the way things get done. It is rough out there and everyone is feeling the crunch.

Quote>
We, as you, have experienced the consequences of the current economic downturn and are trying to do more with less. In a strong growth economy, these situations are called growing pains. We are treating the current situation as a maturing process. We continue working at providing the highest quality of customer service and appreciate your patience and feedback.

CarveWright/CompuCarve Support
Customer Service Manager

mtylerfl
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
WOW!!
Do you realize we have not had a new T&T since May???
LHR must have laid off some people. Three months behind!

Hello,

I'm the editor for the Tips & Tricks and I haven't been laid off.;) In fact, I'm am not employed by LHR at all. I take care of putting together the Tips in my "free" time...ha-ha..free time...I don't remember what that is. Oh, I don't get paid for doing the Tips, and I do not want to. I prefer to do it as a volunteer. I really enjoy doing them, and want to devote more time to that and also making some high-quality tutorial videos for all to benefit from.

I write the majority of Tips, but occasionally draft somebody to write some of them or part of them. The June 2009 Tips featured my "Noughts & Crosses (Tic-Tac-Toe) project showing how an entire project can be laid out using only the tools in the Designer software.

The only Tips we're short on at this point is the July issue. Reason (excuse)?... I was on traveling out of town most of June and July and when I got back to finish up the POM and write the Tips, I discovered my primary hard disk crashed and had to be replaced. Bummer.

The OS itself, along with all programs have to be re-installed, all hardware drivers, and important files restored from our external backup drive. Took several days just to get all the "basics" running - it took a ton of my otherwise productive time and I am way off schedule.

It will be several more weeks before I'm back on track where I need to be, unfortunately. (This main system literally has about two hundred or so programs that need to be re-installed - I think we're at about 30 or 40 so far.) Even having a good backup, it takes loads of time to restore a computer after a crash. What a pain and "waste" of precious time! Not a day goes by that I get in the middle of something and discover - nuts! - I need to stop and install "this or that".

An important backup I did NOT have was an alternate author, so I'm "it", I'm afraid. ;)

I MIGHT still come out with the "July" Tips or I MIGHT come out with a JULY/AUGUST combined issue. I spoke to LHR several days ago to let them know.

So sorry to leave everyone in an "expectant state" and not letting you all know what was going on a little sooner.

swhitney
08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Michael...

Sorry to hear of the hard drive problems. Even with a "decent" backup, it takes time to restore, only to realize what is not there and gone to that big floppy in the sky...

Thank you for the past Tips and Tricks!! They have been great, and I will take this time where the new material is delayed to review the past TnT as I always learn something new ... or at least, new again!!

Your work always seems to amaze as well as inspire.

kylie888
08-06-2009, 03:18 AM
tHanks also for that T&T..

its great!!:)

PCW
08-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Michael,

Everyone needs a little R&R and you are no exception. Your time is appreciated.:D

On the subject of backups. I have a Raid controller installed in my machine as well as external drives that I back up to.

The nice thing about using a the Raid controller is that you have two identical hard drives installed and one is just a mirror (carbon copy) of the other. So if one of your drives goes south you will always have the other drive to keep you going unless of course you have a total melt down. Just my two pennies

Steven Alford
08-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank you Michael for all you do with the T&T. I for one really appreciate them.
You said there was a June issue? It is not on the CarveWright website, the list stops at May.

mtylerfl
08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Thank you Michael for all you do with the T&T. I for one really appreciate them.
You said there was a June issue? It is not on the CarveWright website, the list stops at May.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for letting us know the June listing got missed on the CarveWright website. I'll need to alert the webmaster. An oversight, I'm sure.

You should have received the CarveWright June newsletter with the link to the June Tips in it (are you running any email filters? - sometimes email filters prevent receipt of automatic emailings like the newsletter).

The June 2009 Tips (and all other issues) are also available from the CarveBuddy Learning Center at:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

Thanks again for the heads-up!

Steven Alford
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Michael, got it!!

GrammaPam
08-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Unfortunate set of circumstances presentes an oppertunity to find out how much you are appreciated. I'll bet there are tons of us that have a binder with every T & T printed out in it. I enjoy them tremendously.
G.P.

Icutone2
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Where do I find the mpc for the Noughts & Crosses? Thanks for the help in advance!
Lee

AskBud
08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Where do I find the mpc for the Noughts & Crosses? Thanks for the help in advance!
Lee

Try this link. It's at the very bottom.
AskBud
http://www.carvebuddy.com/free_stuff_page_2.html

Icutone2
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Bud I have it now. Hope I fild time this weekend to do it! Again Thanks!
Lee

wasacop75
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
:roll:I agree woth GrammaPam.
I have them all printed out and in a binder.
Everything i have printed from this site and LHR's site
has been 3 hole punched and its in binders and even tabbed
(talk about being anal)
Now the next is to wait till i get out of warranty and get the rock!!!!

Bradleytavares
08-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Yep, I believe most of us have the binder and it's O.K. to tab them. It's easier to find stuff, ha,ha, I am old.

cestout
08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Michael T,
I want you to know that I (I hope we) really appreciate your work. I am getting pretty good at this stuff, thanks in large part to your teaching skills. I have all issues of Tips & Tricks in a binder for quick reference as well as in computer memory. I also frequent your web site.
Thanks
Clint

mtylerfl
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Hello All,

Thank you again for your encouragement. Very nice to hear that you enjoy the Tips!

I'm gradually getting back on track (I think;)). Should have another Tips released soon!

Icutone2
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I to have them all in a binder. Thought that I was anel also!
Lee

wasacop75
08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
It may just be that great minds think alike.
With a machine like this, its great have everything right there easy to find.8)