PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own CNC Router

Steven Alford
08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Was doing some Googeling, and came across this site. Pretty interesting if you are very mechanical.

http://solsylva.com/cnc/cnc_plans_home.shtml

jiml
08-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe it would work on aluminum also since the electronics would be protected.

hogiewan
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I am about to purchase a CarveWright (or a CompuCarve), but I was seriously considering building a 3-axis cnc router based on those or very similar plans. I could get a decent size for nearly the same price. However, there would be no warranty and if I screwed up something, the cost could go up significantly. Also, I don't have the room for it and I didn't want to devote a computer to running the cnc.

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Here is a Thought.... Buy the CW and use it to cut some of the parts for a hand made model if it will fit in the machine. Didn't look at the plans, don't know if that one uses cut wood like parts.

Use the CW to make money to buy a bigger CNC later....

Look at my website.... I am making money with the CW....

AL

PCW
08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
We have a conversation going on over at CarveSpot (http://www.carvespot.com/forum/list.php?6)about DIY CNC. You are all more than welcome to come over there and take a look around.

Ike
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Lol my wife would just kill me.....kill me dead! I have a K2 CNC I paid over $4000.00 with software that I never used yet......I'm scared! Build one........ RIP Ike!

Ike

HighTechOkie
08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
It really depends on what you want a CNC for. If you want to have another woodworking toy in the shop to build decorative projects with, then the CW is a good choice. If you want a simple, ready to run out-of-the-box machine, then the CW is a good choice. If you have a specific product and have already had someone run them on a CW to know the time and quality to produce, then the CW is a good choice. if you don't have a freagin' clue what you want one for other than its a cool gadget, the CW is a good choice :).

If you want to start a business or automate the production of an existing product, I would strongly recommend either building your own CNC or buying a larger one. I do not believe the CW is a good starter machine for a business for two reasons, it is proprietary and slow(for production purposes). You will spend a significant amount of time learning the ins and outs of the software. It takes 2-3 times as long to create simple designs in the software vs other CAD/CAM or graphics packages. Complex designs require third party software to even create, and then you have to figure out how to get it into Designer.

I do like the machine's potential, but don't expect to spend $4,000 (about the minimum needed including accessories such as dust collector, bits, software etc) and be making $2,000+/mo.

Rob

Ike
08-05-2009, 11:13 PM
It really depends on what you want a CNC for. If you want to have another woodworking toy in the shop to build decorative projects with, then the CW is a good choice. If you want a simple, ready to run out-of-the-box machine, then the CW is a good choice. If you have a specific product and have already had someone run them on a CW to know the time and quality to produce, then the CW is a good choice. if you don't have a freagin' clue what you want one for other than its a cool gadget, the CW is a good choice :).

If you want to start a business or automate the production of an existing product, I would strongly recommend either building your own CNC or buying a larger one. I do not believe the CW is a good starter machine for a business for two reasons, it is proprietary and slow(for production purposes). You will spend a significant amount of time learning the ins and outs of the software. It takes 2-3 times as long to create simple designs in the software vs other CAD/CAM or graphics packages. Complex designs require third party software to even create, and then you have to figure out how to get it into Designer.

I do like the machine's potential, but don't expect to spend $4,000 (about the minimum needed including accessories such as dust collector, bits, software etc) and be making $2,000+/mo.

Rob

I already have a sign business and mostly hand make my signs and use the CW for special orders and use it at events. My uncle has a K2 CNC like mine and it isn't much faster. I had a large CNC 4' by 8' but sold it for my soda business. The problem is I learned the CW software first so the Cad/Cam software is more difficult for me. Well V Carve pro is what I have and it is foreign to me. I wish I learned it first and then the CW!

That is one reason I have never used my K2 or the bigger CNC and the K2 I have had for over 2 years! One day I hope to use it, the K2 was $3600.00 and the V Carve and photo V carve plus another I can't remember I let go with the bigger machine put me well over $4000.00! The V carve is $599.00 now and $150.00 for the photo.

Ike

hogiewan
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I do not believe the CW is a good starter machine for a business for two reasons, it is proprietary and slow(for production purposes).

I believe it is because of the cost of entry for the hardware and software (even the "extra" software packages cost less than a CAD/CAM setup). Also, I don't have room for a larger CNC, but I do for the carvewright. If I can turn a bit of a profit after having the CW for a while, I can invest in a larger machine and a workshop to do the things that are difficult or impossible with the CW (like carve deeper than 3/4")