PDA

View Full Version : X drive Gears

gsdsj
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Just a quick question on possible reasons for x drive gear failure. Searched the forum and didn't see much info. Got a tracking sensor error, removed board, cleaned out machine, reinstalled board and just tried to measure length to check it out. Next was a crunching noise, checked to x drive gears to the belts and the gears where munched. No sawdust build up inside the gear case, head pressure fine, machine clean and a true board. Is it just worn out or am I missing something? Thought I would ask you all before I call LHR to order parts. Also noticed on the parts list that that 2 gears have been replaced with a new part number and are one unit now. Two machines at a year plus time each and this is the first major problem I've had.

Thanks in advance for your help. Greg

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Well you answered my first question, board clean and true... A Tapered board will do this.... Wedge Shaped..... Will Jam and destroy the gears.

A Board tapered in Width will do the same.....

Sliding the right side guide too close will cause it too....

Rolled Over Sand Paper Belts will cause it too....

Sawdust Buildup on the board can cause it too.....

Sawdust contamination inside the gear box can jam the gears too.

When replacing the gear, you can remove the X Motor or you can cut the plastic to let you pull the gear off. I recommend cutting the plastic lip edge of the machine.

If you pull the motor you will need to install the gear and motor at the same time or they won't fit.

I posted lots of pictures of the gears. Search under my user name at least a year old.

Good Luck,

AL

With 14 posts, it's a good idea to read Tips and Tricks if you haven't.

gsdsj
08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks Al, only thing I can think of is possible sawdust build up form last carve, DC was down. Have all the Tips and Tricks and have read them. Like I said machines are over a year old with over a 100 hrs. each and this was the first major problem, no complaints. Just checking if there was anything I missed. As for only 14 posts, 10 out of 10 times the answers to questions I have are always found on the forum, I'm not much for typing. Thanks Greg:)

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Good Deal !!!

AL

TerryT
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Even with a straight and true board we can sometimes get in a hurry and put it in slightly angled or out of line. I know I did it once. It just ripped an inch off of one belt, the x gears were fine but It was a close call.

gsdsj
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Terry, let me say publicly thanks for the quick response on the patterns. Greg

TerryT
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
No problem Greg. Still don't know why I didn't get notification. But it worked out OK, except for the wait.