PDA

View Full Version : Red Fir Round Project

RayTrek
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Barlow Trail Roadhouse; Red Fir Round.

Carve / Normal 18Hrs. 2 pieces select pine 33 x 11 ¼”
Gluing, hand carve work and staining 8Hrs. Log prep. And jig build 4Hrs. Route 3Hrs.

Hello

I have this really fun project that I thought I would share with you.
The above are my self-notes for future reference. The 20”x 32” carving is to be inlayed into the round I plan to incorporate a strip of zinc on the top edge as a mode deterrent and topcoat all with spare urethane, it rains a bit here.
It is for a local restaurant/bar established back in 1925, I have some cards that I am passing out and the owner insist that I put my name and number on the round, Cool
The frame is the router jig the bottom horizontal guide can be moved in increments and I will use a ½” plunge bit.
Good day and I will add to this as I go along.
Ray ver. 1.152
PS Original pattern is authored by eromran and is in the pattern store.

RayTrek
08-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Hello,
I moved forward today and finished the routing for the relief, I wound up using a 3/8” plunge bit doe to its condition was best, it took 60 Y passes and 2 X passes by hand.
The second picture is for lay out for carving a plaque above the relief, I think the glue set is going to be the biggest challenge, should I use tight bond 3 our liquate nail?
This is just another project that the CW has in a major way made FUN
Good Day To Every One and Thanks for all the great sharing of your talents, it all adds up to make us better, Cheers.
Ray

robbrigg2
08-05-2009, 08:35 PM
THis is very nice and Original in its design. Good job

oldjoe
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow that looks really great. Good job

b.sumner47
08-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Like it very much,away from the norm. Capt.Barry

RayTrek
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank You; for your comments

Well just plucking away and wanted to share with you where I am with this project.
Need to set the relief’s with titebond 2 and top coat finish the hole round, I was thinking spar urethane also have some zinc which will be placed in cracks behind relief’s and along the top where the bark meets the growth ring.
Hope all is well and will talk soon
Later ~ Ray

supershingler
08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
nice job

it should surly get you a couple of free beverages

great job again

kendall

Kenm810
08-08-2009, 08:47 PM
As always, a really beautiful job
on a Great Project well Done! :grin:

geekviking
08-08-2009, 11:46 PM
sooooo sweet!

mtylerfl
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Thank You; for your comments

Well just plucking away and wanted to share with you where I am with this project.
Need to set the relief’s with titebond 2 and top coat finish the hole round, I was thinking spar urethane also have some zinc which will be placed in cracks behind relief’s and along the top where the bark meets the growth ring.
Hope all is well and will talk soon
Later ~ Ray

Ray,

That is a way cool project! I always enjoy your designs and originality!