PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the Z truck

13Z5M
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I am getting an error "Homing problem z axis". I did a search and found a solution to pull the z pack and tighten two screws. according to LiquidGuitars...

"you could check the screws..

Pull the Z pack and check the two screw holding the motor to the base assembly.

LG"

It looks like I have to take a lot of the machine apart to get to these two screws. Do I really have to take the top off and remove all the cables, etc to get to these?

Steve

packerguy
08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I just did the same thing.

It was real easy. Took about 5 minutes.

PCW
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi

All you should have to do that is if you have the right size #2 phillip screw driver is tighten the screws up. There are opening in the back of the fins on the motor to fit a screwdriver in to tighten the screws. If you do not have the right length screwdriver you will have to remove the top cover.

Here is a link to a PDF file (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_z-motor_only.pdf)that will help give you a visual of the procedure.

13Z5M
08-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Can someone please describe the location of the two screws I am looking for?

Steve

PCW
08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
See picture it shows the location of the screw as well as the access hole in the aluminum cooling fin.

13Z5M
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks - I'll try it after work.

Steve

13Z5M
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I tried that - both the screws were very tight. Put the machine back together and tested - I am still getting the same error. Any other ideas?

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Lets start with the basics....

Using Options call up the sensor data and select the Z Encoder Data.
It will be 0000 until you move it by hand. Move it and see if the electrical is working.

Next is the Belt and Cogs on the upper and lower pulley. Dust gets impacted into the cogs of the belt and pulley and act like a rock in front of your car tire.... A Speed Bump of dust..... Check that..... I air blow my Z Belt area once a project.

Next is the rails and bearings. Remove the bearing caps and with solvent, clean the bearings by rolling them and getting all 360 degrees. A build up will act like a speed bump. Now the rails, clean the upper and lower rail and especially the "No Mans" area in between the upper and lower bearing, a often overlooked area to clean.

I bet that takes care of it.....

If not, I would remove the screws you checked and the spring screw on top and remove the Z Drive motor. Inspect the belt, make sure it is not loose to the back of the Z Truck, the screws holding the belt come loose.

Now look over the gear box and be sure it operates smoothly. Try to wobble the big plastic gear. It should be solid....

Let us know...
:mrgreen:
AL who

13Z5M
08-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks, Al.

I won't be able to get to this until the weekend. Mrs. 13Z5M has me pretty busy until Sunday afternoon.

I'll try the suggestions and post again on Monday.

Thanks again,

Steve

13Z5M
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
OK Finally got around to trying this out. Between Work, Fire Fighting and EMS I manage to stay pretty busy.

I performed the sensor data check. I had the chuck in about the middle of the travel and it read zero. I moved it all the way to the top and it read -0.050. Moved all the way to the bottom and it read 0.046. This does not seem right to me. Can someone tell me if it is?

Anyhow, the Belt and Cog area seen very clean, I blew them out anyhow.

I am not sure how to remove the bearing caps. Is it the four screws that seem to be covering what I assume are the bearings? On the side of the assembly where the bit goes?

Sorry to be such a pain about this, but I need to get started on some Christmas presents the Mrs. has assigned me to. When I get this working, I'll post some pictures and the mpc.

Steve

atauer
08-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Steve,

Did you have a bit in the QC? If so, that can cause bad readings. Try again without the bit.

13Z5M
08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Alex,

I tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Steve

liquidguitars
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
13Z5M,

Since the Z truck error says it can not home, i would think you could have a y belt tracking issue.

With the power off can you move the z pack left to right and up and down without a lot of resistance? also check the ribbon cable for damage.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
08-12-2009, 09:04 PM
LG is right.... Sometimes the 2 screws holding the belt on the back of the Z Truck come loose and the head is moving up and down but the belt is slipping so the encoder is not turning.

Place your finger on the top Z Truck cog gear to provide resistance and move the head up and down... A slipping belt will be felt easily.

Tightening the screws requires removing the Z Truck.....

I agree the numbers should be bigger......

AL