PDA

View Full Version : z axis 308

rickyz
08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I haven't been able to find a thread on this problem. I have used my scanning probe maybe 3 or four times. it checks the corners and when it begins to scan the probe goes straight down and gives me a z axis stall error 308. do i need to open up the probe? I put a piece of plywood on the scanning jig to set the height and the probe tip buries itself into the plywood and actually lifts the plywood off. I am also using the rock chuck but i don't think that should affect the probe.

hess
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I haven't been able to find a thread on this problem. I have used my scanning probe maybe 3 or four times. it checks the corners and when it begins to scan the probe goes straight down and gives me a z axis stall error 308. do i need to open up the probe? I put a piece of plywood on the scanning jig to set the height and the probe tip buries itself into the plywood and actually lifts the plywood off. I am also using the rock chuck but i don't think that should affect the probe.

wow that was weird just sent a reply and it disappeared when it posted

any way was getting some Stall errors took the probe about and clean all contacts then used DE grease on them all much better

I set my depth with a wood shim stock

rickyz
08-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I took the probe apart. and applied the grease and cleaned it up, I will try it and see how it goes. Thank you.

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Even fingerprints on the contact areas will cause problems as the oil in the finger prints act like an insulator. Clean but then don't touch....

AL

rickyz
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
tried the probe again, still doing the same thing. anyone else ever have this problem? the probe lets me set the corner to corner then when it says proceed to scan, the probe just goes straight down and then stops with error 308 z axis stall. used a shim to set the depth and the tip buries itself into the wood.

TerryT
08-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Go back to the basics.

Make sure you have the new Z bundle.
Make sure the probe is plugged into the cover near the keypad.
Make sure to set probe options on the machine to "cover".
Make sure the FFC cable is plugged in properly and no nicks or broken conductors on it.

TWOATLOW8
08-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Make sure to set probe options on the machine to "cover".

Thats what gaveme the same error, when i formatted the card or upgraded to a new version...the option went to the z-truck and burried itself into the wood....lucky it was pine...

rickyz
08-07-2009, 10:59 PM
ok, might be on to something. I don't have the new z bundle. have the old one with the plug jack on the ztruck. it doesn't recognize the probe except when plugged in to the connector on the side with the cable. even though it gives me the option to have the connection on the ztruck instead of cover. so what is the new z bundle going to cost me? is there any work around?

TerryT
08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
The last one I bought was $40. But LHR has been raising prices almost daily, so I don't know what it would be now.

TIMCOSBY
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM
the old style that plugs into the truck and have no problems.

TerryT
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally the probe did plug into the spindle. The Pc board behind the spindle was usually one of the first things to break on a new machine. LHR does not support this any longer. If you plug into the spindle and it is working.... good for you. Just know that when it no longer works you will have to go with the new Z.

If you have either old or new z and the probe is plugged into the cover BUT the options are set to spindle, your probe will crash. Make sure the options are set to "cover" on the machine.

rickyz
08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
the old style that plugs into the truck and have no problems.

what version of designer are you using? maybe i need to go back a few on my second computer.

TIMCOSBY
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
but just upgraded. havent done anything with 1.52 yet but did notice that the favorite pattern group didnt disapear like it used to.

rickyz
08-10-2009, 08:31 PM
well, i tried going back to a previous version and same thing. looks like I need to upgrade to the new ztruck.

TIMCOSBY
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
the probe to see if its getting contact. somewhere in the menu on the keypad. could be a wire pinched.

rickyz
09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
got the new z bundle pack installed and it is recognizing the probe. jogged to top left corner and confirmed. probe doesn't go down and touch jig. even when I go to set max depth, nothing. any ideas? I am getting closer but still can't scan. anyone run into this? thanks. Rick

rickyz
09-21-2009, 11:37 PM
ok, got the new z bundle and still doing the same thing. even if i go to set depth, i get nothing. wires are all good.any other ideas before i call lhr?

badger
09-22-2009, 08:05 AM
I had the same error 308, gave the machine to a friend in Texas and he finally got it fixed after someone suggested to check the zmotor encoder. He blew out the area and it started working again and as of yesterday he still is carving.

Didnt have anything to do with the probe that I was aware of more the encoder.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12542

rickyz
09-22-2009, 08:32 AM
my machine carves just fine. it only happens when I use the probe. Thanks for the input though. I will have to open up the probe again and see what's going on.

badger
09-22-2009, 11:48 AM
The probe still uses the zmotor though which includes the encoder in the back of the motor. Just putting it out there.

TIMCOSBY
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
be a little pickyer when scanning. just a thought.

rickyz
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
well, I finally got around to the probe and got it to work. i did a sensor check and the probe wasn't remaining closed. turns out I was losing continuity in one of the wires from the probe. did a little frankensteining with some wire from an old cell phone earpiece and it seems to have done the trick. anyone know if you can get the plug and wires from the probe or would I have to get a new probe from lhr? can't wait to get back to scanning.