PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Tool vs. Using Router.

Falbs
08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I have just got done making my first few projects and am wondering if using the cutting is a better choice then using a router.

Also will the machine pause while carving to have me change the bit?

Thank you in advance.

Kenm810
08-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Not to sure what you mean,
if your asking about finishing your projects edges,
I always use a hand router or my router table
to save Cut Motor time on my Machine.
And yes your Machine will pause for Bit changes
on your project when needed.

oclatta
08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
I normally cut out the finished carve on the table saw and use a router in a router table for doing the edge work. Saves time on the machine and I get a smoother cut on the table saw.

bergerud
08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I only use the CarveWright for operations I cannot do otherwise. A hand or table router will will give a smoother result when you can use it.

For example, if I want to cut out an irregular shape, I use the CarveWright to route a 1/4" deep path with a 1/16" or 1/8" straight bit. Then I roughly cut out the shape with a saw. I then use a table router with a straight bit and bearing with the bearing following the CarveWright curve.

cestout
08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I use the machine to cut intricate shapes, like patterns, but I use a table saw and miter saw to cut out stuff like box parts. I use a table router for edge work for the reasons mentioned earlier and because I sometimes like to use a bead router on the base of my boxes and that can't be done with the carving machine. I am fortunate to have a full home cabinet shop (and understanding wife) so I use the tool that will do the job best.
Clint

Woodhacker
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I haved to agree with the rest of these guys. The machine is not really meant to do that type of work. Too much stress on it. Like has already been said, I use my table saw and router table finish up on most stuff. Ya get a cood clean cut (almost NO sanding) and it is LOTS faster.

Richard

forqnc
08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I have just got done making my first few projects and am wondering if using the cutting is a better choice then using a router.

Also will the machine pause while carving to have me change the bit?

Thank you in advance.

If you mean you hand cut the outlines of some projects, then yes these can be done in the CW and very accurately. But as others have said if you are edge routing projects then I use the Hand router and Router Table.

One thought I had when reading your post was, if I was to do several patterns the same shape and wanted to cut them out, I could cut a Jig the shape I need, then hand cut the project using a bearing bit and follow the jig. This would remove wear on the machine and de-crease chances of breaking a 1/8" cutting bit. Just a thought.

rickyz
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
definitely depends on what you are doing. I have never used the edge routing feature since it is easier and quicker to just use a router or router table. I have collected so many tools over the years I only use the carvewright for making signs, projects, and to speed up tedius ( hope that's spelled right) procedures. I like the carvewright for cutting out intricate patterns and things such as reindeer for my holiday projects. instead of rought cutting the reindeer for example, and then putting a template on, and then flush trimming it, the carvewright just cuts them out. no fuss, no muss. when doing signs, I have the carvewright cut out lettering and patterns and so forth, but if I want an edge on it, I go to the router. a couple of passes and I am done. I am such a tool freak. I just got a gas powered roto hammer drill. Have no idea what I am going to use it for but I got one just in case!!!. I have a very understanding wife. hahaha

Digitalwoodshop
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
You can always use the CW to cut a pattern that you can use on a router table. I was making the Wine and Quilt Racks the first year and had the CW cut the art and the square holes for the rails. Then I cut a pattern on the CW and used the drill function to put a 1/8 inch hole in the center of the block area. Made blocks that I just dropped the board over and off to the router table with a bushing.

It would take about 30 min of cutting time to cut out a wine rack, or 2 min on the table. Save the machine for the hard stuff.

This Quilt and Wine pattern are in the Project Thread along with the clocks I do. 100% free.

AL

Kenm810
08-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey Al,

Your last photo looks like our old FootBall Coach --- When we'd ran the wrong play. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

pine acres woodshop
08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
That's my wife when I buy a new tool!

robbrigg2
08-06-2009, 05:13 PM
You can always use the CW to cut a pattern that you can use on a router table. I was making the Wine and Quilt Racks the first year and had the CW cut the art and the square holes for the rails. Then I cut a pattern on the CW and used the drill function to put a 1/8 inch hole in the center of the block area. Made blocks that I just dropped the board over and off to the router table with a bushing.

It would take about 30 min of cutting time to cut out a wine rack, or 2 min on the table. Save the machine for the hard stuff.

This Quilt and Wine pattern are in the Project Thread along with the clocks I do. 100% free.

AL

Al, I am very interested in doing just what you say. I am in the process of making some Karate Belt Racks in mass and would greatly love to use the router to do the cut out after the carve... can you help me with understanding how I do this. I figure things out rather well... but when I am in a crunch as I am I stick with what I know works. I don't have a lot of router experience (though I do have a good Craftsman and table) only done edges, but I would like to learn how to do this....