PDA

View Full Version : Close Cover

Tacis
08-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I have two machines and cannot figure out the close cover error. The test fails despite the fact I recieved two new switched Thursday. I have checked the wires at the cut motor and the 8-prong wire that plugs in by the y motor. I am quite familiar and have become quite intimately involved with these machines. Show me a screw or wire and I can tell you where it cam from. Machine 1 has 123 hours on it and outside of a z-truck and new belts...was working with some of the usual y axis stalls from time to time. This close cover came from now where. Machin 2 has less than 50 hours however needed to replace the PCU within the first 10 hours. Did 7 3 hours carves and then cut motor would not shut off. Turned out to be the X Termination board....not that is raplaced and have close cover. Any recommendation would be appreciated. I went through all the other posts and dont see a potential solution for this set.

AskBud
08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I have two machines and cannot figure out the close cover error.....not that is raplaced and have close cover. Any recommendation would be appreciated. I went through all the other posts and dont see a potential solution for this set.

I'm sure you have already thought of this, but I'll ask anyway.

Have you gone to the Sensor check for the cover and, with the cover open, taken a toothpick and activated the cover switch on the Keyboard side? You should hear the click and see the status change to "Closed".
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2009, 06:07 PM
8 pin plug white wire toward the center of the machine?

AL

Tacis
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and I am more than willing to re-look at anything. I did press the switch with the dental pick. I do hear a click, however the sensor still says open...It is just like when either the sensor wire or cut motor wire is unplugged....But they are both plugged in.

Tacis
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
8 pin plug white wire toward the center of the machine?

AL

Al,

Thanks for the suggestion. It did verify that the whit wire is indeed toward the center of the machine....I don't know if this helps or not but before the close cover on THIS particular machine I was getting aclear board sensor. I did swap sensors with the other machine (while it was working) and it was not the board sensor.

Wilbur
08-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I am having the same thing except mine started with the close cover and went into the clear board sensor.

I checked everything to do with the close cover and found nothing and all of a sudden got clear sensor and have had no more problems with the close cover.

I don't think the two has anything to do with each other but don't know. I do know this clear sensor is giving me a fit. I have checked and done everything the book says and everything I have read, I think this thing is playing with me.

It seems to work on narrow boards but not on a wide board like 14.25". I am cutting clocks and have done many this wide using poplar. I put in a 6" wide poplar and it works, works with cedar.

I have had the sensor off have checked sensor cover on the back of both motors. Have checked connections.

Something causing this to work some times and not other times.

I really do need help if anyone knows of something to do that I have not done. I hate to pack this thing up and ship it back for repair.

Wilbur

supershingler
08-02-2009, 08:09 AM
wilbur

just a suggestion and a thought

i always thought the max width was 14".
if your getting a board sensor error maybe the y cant go far enough to find the edge of the board and it gives it a board sensor error. if it works alright on narrow boards i think that might be your solution.

just my guess

good luck

kendall

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Looks like as the machines age we are seeing more pinched wires for the board sensors. See my pictures of the board sensor and wires I have posted a few times.

With MY machine when the sensor wire was pinched to the metal of the truck I saw.....

Board Sensor Zero.

Close Cover.

Z Data would never change from 0000 when moving by hand.

Check ALL three....

If you have the above symptoms then you have a pinched wire....

A shorted wire or pinched wire will drop the data voltage and prevent OTHER things from working properly.

This could be intermittent too as things vibrate and move.

AL

Tacis
08-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Digitalwoodshop...I will follow up on the piched wire...what you diescribed does cover all of the reading I am seeing on this machine.

Wilbur
08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
kendall

I though that was the problem but turnes out no. You are suppose to be able to do 15" but I am not sure about that. I know when things are working the way they are suppose to it will take 14.75". I have done a few of these for clocks.

cnsranch
08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I've pushed it before, but this is from the manual:

Workpiece Size (Max):
Length………………...………………………………144 inches (Limited by weight)
Width……………………………………………………………………….…14.5 inches
Height…………………………………………………………………..……...5.0 inches

Wilbur
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I had no problems at all until I tried some MDF board. Everything carved good but the dust was very fine.
I cleaned the machine like I always do but had little dust to clean up.
Don't know where it went but the machine has not worked sense.
Not saying this had anything to do with anything or not but it is strange.

Wilbur

Tacis
08-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I did resolve the issue on both machines and although I am still waiting for my carving bit via Lowes from July 6, both machines are working. I checked all wires and went through all of the troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this issues the conventional way...i.e. with what is in the book. When I tested the cover sensor switch, Robert at LHR (Carvewright) that I test the circuit board where the switch plugs in. It failed.....I also has a suspicion about the Z Motor Mounts Electronic assembly (the PCB that the Board Sensor plugs in to). I ordered 2/ea ($5.00/ea plus s&H) When I recieved them I installed only the head termination Electronics Assembly Board. Problem not solved (remember this board was tested by doing a jump from the inside two pins (pins closest to the center) and the cover open still read open). I had suspected the Z Motor Mount Electronc Assy as well and sure enough, I installed the two and problem cured. Both machines did a project sharing the one bit I have recieved.....IF anyone from LHR is following this thread could you help me out on prodding the Turtle to drop my other carving bit off in Clorado? :-)

I would have attached some pics for all of these parts for you to see, however I am not sure how to do that. If you can guide me please send a post? I have a solution that may help of QC removal with pics to post as well.

AskBud
08-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Here is a quick AVI lesson on attachments and the Attachmant chart as well.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Attachments.zip

Tacis
08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Here is a quick AVI lesson on attachments and the Attachmant chart as well.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Attachments.zip

Bud,

Thanks for the post....I completely missed the paperclip. Any pointers for creating video link?

AskBud
08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Type the "Link" in the body of your post, after you save it to your personal Web space.
AskBud

dainge
09-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I have the close cover as well. When it comes up I push down on the bar behind the cover and I get the message to hit enter. It seem like there is a short somewhere by the cover switches but haven't tore it apart to find it. I'm not really sure where to look.

Dale

Digitalwoodshop
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Check the hardware holding the cover hinge and the screws holding the left switch. The switch contacts can be dirty too. Also check the plug to be sure it is in all the way behind the Z for the cover switch.

AL

dainge
10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Check the hardware holding the cover hinge and the screws holding the left switch. The switch contacts can be dirty too. Also check the plug to be sure it is in all the way behind the Z for the cover switch.

AL

OK what screws and what is the Z?

dainge
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I am having the same thing except mine started with the close cover and went into the clear board sensor.

I checked everything to do with the close cover and found nothing and all of a sudden got clear sensor and have had no more problems with the close cover.

I don't think the two has anything to do with each other but don't know. I do know this clear sensor is giving me a fit. I have checked and done everything the book says and everything I have read, I think this thing is playing with me.

It seems to work on narrow boards but not on a wide board like 14.25". I am cutting clocks and have done many this wide using poplar. I put in a 6" wide poplar and it works, works with cedar.

I have had the sensor off have checked sensor cover on the back of both motors. Have checked connections.

Something causing this to work some times and not other times.

I really do need help if anyone knows of something to do that I have not done. I hate to pack this thing up and ship it back for repair.

Wilbur

have you had any luck on the close cover problem

Tacis
10-06-2009, 07:50 PM
OK what screws and what is the Z?

Download the parts manual at http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

When you take the top cover off there are two places it is plugged in, 1)behind the z motor (171) and to the far right at the cut motor. I have had a loose connection on both of these and they throw a close cover error. So will a loose ribbon cable which is item 37 of page 5. Hope this helps. Item 168 is the screws for the switch on page 11.