PDA

View Full Version : Baroque Corner Shelf POM

mtylerfl
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Hello,

The latest POM (Project of the Month) is the "Baroque Corner Shelf".

This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

Turn a plain corner in your home into a focal point with this corner shelf project featuring a classic Baroque-style scrolled design! The two quarter-circle shelves provide a nice way to exhibit decorative items of all kinds. The assembled project dimensions are about 12½" wide x 9" deep x 28" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The 3 Project Files (included)
LEFT_Side.mpc
RIGHT_Side.mpc
Shelf_Shapes.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

LEFT Side: .75" x 11" x 36"
RIGHT Side: .75" x 11" x 36"
Shelves (1 board): .75" x 9.25" x 22"

3) Thirteen 1" or 1¼" long #6 Wood Screws, picture wire and a couple small screws

4) Sandpaper, hand drill or drill press, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

Here’s what I used on my Baroque Corner Shelf made from Select Pine wood:

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• Cabot Stain (Brown Mahogany # 8134) applied with a small paintbrush by hand for the dark background areas

• Applied MinWax Stain (Golden Pecan # 245) over everything when the background stain was dry.

• Four coats of MinWax water-based Satin polycrylic, spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.

NOTE: Sorry I'm a little late posting the details on this latest POM - main computer hard disk crashed about two weeks ago - we had file backups on our external drive, but had to reinstall all programs, plugins, hardware drivers, etc. etc - will be several weeks more before totally back to normal!

swhitney
08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear of your hard drive problems, hopefully all will reinstall with minimal problems.

Thank you again for providing the information for the upcoming POM. It is very helpful to have board sizes and supplies so we may organize our potentially limited time.

Keep up the good work!!!!

SharonB
08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Michael....is there a page 4 in the new Baroque Corner Shelf tutorial? The file I received has page 4 missing and when quickly reading over the instructions it seems some of the steps might be missing.

mtylerfl
08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Michael....is there a page 4 in the new Baroque Corner Shelf tutorial? The file I received has page 4 missing and when quickly reading over the instructions it seems some of the steps might be missing.

Hi Sharon,

Yes, there should be a page 4.

There are a total of 6 pages in the PDF instructions (the last page is simply the Resource page). Five of the pages are the actual instructions for the project. Can you please email me the pdf you received via our CarveBuddy email?

I just checked the master files that were sent to CarveWright and they are perfectly fine, but I would like to see what you have in case something went awry with the pdf during your download and/or compiling. (To avoid any further delay for you, I'll be happy to email you the pdf if yours is not complete.)

It is my pleasure to help.

Chief38
08-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Just downloaded and activated August POM. Adobe loses page 2 & 4 and also wants to download "missing Korean font" when accessing pdf.

I am running version 1.15 but mpcs won't load saying they were written in latter version.

Herb

jiml
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't pages 2 & 4 either. I got the Korean font question also??

hess
08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Same here running 1.150 it will not load the pats and as the others on the PDFs

Hey Michael did you move to Korea or just get the HD from there.lol It is going to be a nice project and many thanks for getting it out so early

SharonB
08-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Michael....It's 10:30 pacific time so know you have already given up for the night. I'm not sure how to e-mail you the file as it doesn't want to copy and paste. I hadn't tried to up load the patterns until I saw the post by Hess and I too can not upload them. It says the patterns were made in a newer format...and I have 1.150.

henry1
08-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Michael....It's 10:30 pacific time so know you have already given up for the night. I'm not sure how to e-mail you the file as it doesn't want to copy and paste. I hadn't tried to up load the patterns until I saw the post by Hess and I too can not upload them. It says the patterns were made in a newer format...and I have 1.150.

I also can;t open the new progect

dbfletcher
08-03-2009, 07:05 AM
I am also experiencing all the of the syptoms described below in reagards to the POM. I tried to upload the pdf to this forum, but it is larger than allowed for attachemments. I am aslo running designer 1.15 and cant open the files.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Hello All,

So sorry you're having issues with the latest POM files! The project was laid out using 1.150 and I carved/cut my own using 1.150 as well, so I'm not sure why the files won't open for you.

The PDF problem is also a mystery, as it opens up fine at my end - of course I do have the original, so it's not really an accurate "test" just because I can open it. I'd like to get a copy of the one that was setup for mass distribution and see if I experience the same issues (the Korean "thing" and missing pages!).

I'll contact CarveWright today and see if they can help determine where the problem occurred and make the necessary corrections.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and am very anxious to get things sorted out for you ASAP!

jjack9485
08-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Michael,

same problems, will not load and no page 4

jack

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Michael,

same problems, will not load and no page 4

jack

Hello Jack - is page 4 the only one missing? ...or are you missing page 2 as well (some others reported 2 and 4 were not showing up).

I've looked at page 2 and 4 in the original master file before the pdf was generated. One thing those two pages have in common is that I used fraction symbols that are not very commonly used...i.e., on page 2, I used a "1/3" fraction symbol...on page 4, I used a "3/8" fraction symbol.

I am beginning to suspect that the page issues may be connected to the use of those symbols - they were from the standard Windows Character Map in the Arial font listing and show up as "Arial Unicode MS (Normal) (KOR)". That KOR in the description might be the "Korean" error some have reported!!

Shawnf2
08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
i'm missing page 4 got page 2 and can't bring mpc's up!

weberts
08-03-2009, 08:54 AM
If you install the Korean fonts page 2 and 4 will open - will at least it did for me, but I cannot open the project files, error says "File was written by a newer version of the software"

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
If you install the Korean fonts page 2 and 4 will open - will at least it did for me, but I cannot open the project files, error says "File was written by a newer version of the software"

OK, that seems to be the issue - why a fraction symbol is "Korean", I don't know! However, installing the Korean "font" when prompted does solve the problem apparently.

However, I have changed the master file so that it doesn't have any so-called "Korean fonts" and regenerated a new pdf so that it will (hopefully) fix the issue for good.

I will provide CarveWright with the new pdf. I'm just waiting for them to open so I can talk to a Tech. I still don't know why the mpc's won't open UNLESS the mpc's were converted at the CarveWright end to coincide with the latest release of a newer Designer version that is forthcoming. I'll ask.

SteveEJ
08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
What about those of us that still use 1.132? I don't want to go to 1.150 yet!

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 10:19 AM
What about those of us that still use 1.132? I don't want to go to 1.150 yet!

Hi Steve,

I should probably let the CarveWright techs address this, but it is my understanding that all projects and mpc's are converted to work with the very most recent versions of the CarveWright System. So - even though I may create something on an older version, it will be converted to the most current version before distribution.

Now, having said that, you can certainly keep your older version running on your computer (you won't be able to run current projects or open current mpc's, though). There are other methods of keeping an older version active, but I simply start up Windows Explorer and copy the CarveWright directory (in Program Files), then paste it immediately right back into the Program Files directory - it will then be renamed to "Copy of CarveWright" - I rename that to include the version number of the copy so I can keep track of which version it really is. I also create a new shortcut on the Desktop that points to the gui.exe file in the "Copy of CarveWright 1.xxx" Once you have a copy, you can then update to the most current version without overwriting the older one.

It is also my understanding that the next update to 1.15x will feature a few bug fixes and will be available soon. BTW, the current POM was created and run with 1.150 with absolutely no problems, but I am guessing that my 1.150 files may have been converted to a newer version in anticipation of the upcoming update. I'm still checking on that.

Icutone2
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I am also missing page 4. Waiting for the go ahead will re download when ready.
Lee

SteveEJ
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
If you are using the latest Adobe Reader 9, it should tell you that you need an update. The updater will then install the fonts needed. That's the way it worked on my machine with Vista Home Premium and having the latest Reader installed.

Michael, Thanks for the info. I understand your position. I do not agree with CW's position of "If you want it then you must use the latest software" mentality UNLESS the project requires a feature that is in the new software! So far, I have not seen that requirement posted. After MANY years of testing software for very complicated systems (Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and others) I have learned NOT to jump on the latest version until the Undocumented Features (ie: Bugs) have been worked out. This will be a MAJOR part of my renewal decision when my subscription runs out.

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've spoken with LHR/CarveWright. The mpc's were not altered from the original 1.150 format that they were created with - apparently it was a compiling issue when the downloadable files were created, and will be corrected shortly (if not already)!

I was told that as soon as they became aware of the problem, all their resources were immediately focused on the investigation and correction of the issue, so they were on top of it right away - even before I spoke to them.

Steve - there have indeed been situations where the most current version of the Designer software was required to run a project (this was particularly true when we made the transition from the 1.12x series to the 1.13x series). The safest way to assure a project runs correctly is to update the software to the most current version. I, like you, also prefer to keep an older version active (at least for awhile) using the method I described earlier for any "just in case" scenarios. So, you can basically have the best of both worlds - an older version for running your older projects (if you wish) and an up-to-date version for running the most current projects.

Chet67
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I also can not open the P.O.M.
chet67

weberts
08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Just downloaded a fresh copy to my 2nd computer - still not fixed and I am running 1.150

dbfletcher
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I also just downloaded the POM again. It looks like the pdf has been fixed, but it still is saying the design was created in a newer version of this software. I am running 1.150.

PCW
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Go to the link at the bottom of my signature. There is a link to the new version 1.151. May help

dbfletcher
08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Looks like LHR stopped that... when i go to your link it says the link appears to be broken. :(

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Go to the link at the bottom of my signature. There is a link to the new version 1.151. May help

Hello,

A 1.151 version was not available (or at least not intended) for public release.

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Again, my apologies for the delay of the mpc fix for the current POM. I do not know what the compiling problem was, but I know the folks at CarveWright are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

PCW
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Michael,

Sorry if I broke their security. Running so maybe it will be released soon.

PCW
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
If anyone want to give the new version a try I will post a new link to a private link where you can download it at Carvespot.

I am uploading it now so it will be ready by 10:30 tonight at Carvespot .com

Post may get deleted.

dbfletcher
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
For what it is worth, this project does open just fine using 1.151 provided by PCW.

mtylerfl
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
For what it is worth, this project does open just fine using 1.151 provided by PCW.

Now THAT is a surprise! I was told earlier today that my 1.150 files had not been changed from that version. I'm wondering if it was accidentally done without realizing it. Perhaps several versions of the software reside on some of the Tech's computers and it was a simple slip-up.

Just a heads up - not sure if the 1.151 version you have should be used or not. I think that version was for internal testing only. Might want to wait for the official new version release just to be on the safe side.

dbfletcher
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
agreed... but even if this "outlaw" version fixes 1/2 my issues with 1.15 I'll be estatic. I hardly think it could be any worse.

PCW
08-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Michael,

I don't see no harm in playing with it a little maybe be a Bata tester which I have done a lot of over the past years.

Michael I really feel bad for you because you have to rely on others and if they make a error it come back on you.

I think most people can see that you have very little control once you send the file to LHR. You are doing a fine job and we all appriciate what you do. Keep up the good work.

SteveEJ
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Michael,
DITTO! to what PCW said.. Great work!

mistert
08-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Same result as Chief38. Loaded v1.15 but mpc's won't load, msg says they were written in a later version.

jjack9485
08-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Michael,

I have page 2, no 4., it still asks for a latter version.

jack

RayTrek
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Michael,

Really cool project, Love your work and your involvement with the community,
Cheers to you Again.
As for the hick up well 25 years as a control tech stuff happens and I always refer to “ No problem just solutions” as I see you do Thanks
Ray

hess
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Mike

as always you work is great.
we understand that often times others in the team drop the ball.

You did your part you got the PDF corrcted I reloaded last nite and can read it fine.

So sad that you bust a nut to get you part done an any event love your stuff will always.

would be interested in some smaller project or shorter carve place on you site will by form u in a nano sec Have a good week don't burn out over this stuff

Even stuff that would help us newbs to use CL

Hess

liquidguitars
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice POM..

PCW,

I like to know how you got this software.

LG

mtylerfl
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I have spoken with most of the folks at LHR over the last couple years. Honest to goodness - they are GREAT people and want things to run smoothly maybe even more than we do!

I talked to a Tech yesterday and he said it seems like when something is released just before a weekend, "Murphy's Law" takes over!;) They take matters like this very seriously and I know they are working non-stop to make the necessary corrections. They really do want to keep us as happy and as trouble-free as possible.

PCW
08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
LG,

I have a inside source and if I told you I would have to kill you and that is not a option.;)

liquidguitars
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
LG,

I have a inside source and if I told you I would have to kill you and that is not a option.;)

Nice.. :)

LG

weberts
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I was just able to download and update to 1.152 and it opens the current POM without complaint

mtylerfl
08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I was just able to download and update to 1.152 and it opens the current POM without complaint

Thanks for letting us know...I was just thinking about asking if anyone had updated yet and if that automatically fixed the issue. Thanks again!

hess
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
yep works here too