PDA

View Full Version : Humming Bird Screen door

Concrete Carver
08-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I had made a screen door for our house with a Bull Elk theme. I woodburned the elk and hand carved some mountains into it. My Inlaws asked me if I would make one for them as well. My MIL wanted a Hummingbird theme. My FIL wanted wrought Iron So I designed a door to fit their house design.
I bought the Hummingbird pattern and used polar wood to carve it. I roughed it up with a wire wheel. I used ebony stain and clear to attempt to make it look like a cast iron insert.
I used 1/2 copper tubing with 1/4 inch reducers for the ballisters on the door. I painted them with a hammer finish to make them look like they are iron.
I have got a few requests for screen door since I did this one.

Concrete Carver
08-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Here is what the whole door looks like. The machine was great for doing the center piece. I could have carved it by hand but couldn't make it look the way I wanted it.

Concrete Carver
08-01-2009, 12:29 PM
This is a hand carved flower I did for the top. But someone could use a flower pattern to get the same effect.

mtylerfl
08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Very professional and beautiful work! Good job!

lostinthefrost
08-01-2009, 01:56 PM
That is an awesome project. How did you make the door? Or did you buy the door and cut it out?

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Now there is an untapped market...... Screen doors being a GREEN item in new homes.... This is a new market for the CW.... Did you make it from 5/4 clear pine?

You never know.....

Was at a show today where I make the brown Wood Signs and a lady asked if I could make a wood container to hold 2 trash cans at the end of the driveway. Mostly to keep them from flying away in a zoned community... I said YES..... Could even put a Bear, Raccoon, or Skunk with a Red Circle and slash like the international NO BEARS....Sign..... Carved in the boards..... She got a kick out of the idea.... Might become a new product....

AL

Concrete Carver
08-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I did use clear pine except for the center piece. Here is a picture of the screen door I made for my house. I woodburned the Bull Elk on the center piece and hand carved the mountains.

Concrete Carver
08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Here is a close up of the Elk.
The machine is a nice fit for all the different art projects I do. The screen door biz would be a nice little gig to have on the side. When I have time to sit down and figure out how to make patterns I will post some patterns.

fwharris
08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Great job! I bet both MIL & FIL were very happy.

I really like the door for your house. You did a first rate job.

Thanks for sharing and giving us all other ways to display out carvings..

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
What do you use for joinery of the pieces? Biscuits?, Dowels, Tendons?

EXCELLENT WORK !!!!!

GREAT FRONT DOOR !!!!!

AL

Concrete Carver
08-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks to All of you.
Al,
I used dowels to join all the wood.

Digitalwoodshop
08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Excellent WORK !!!!

AL

Jvicaretti
08-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Very nice work, great entranceway to your home.

RayTrek
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
What a great Idea, and use of hardware.
Ray

Router-Jim
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Your hummingbird door is an excellent example of what can be achieved when you combine imagination, woodworking talent, a good pattern and a great machine.

Congrats on your very impressive project and thanks for sharing it with us. :cool:

Jim

chebytrk
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Great job! I bet both MIL & FIL were very happy.

I really like the door for your house. You did a first rate job.

Thanks for sharing and giving us all other ways to display out carvings..

Just tried to look at files in the CNCARTGUILD Fire media files and it states that there are no files in the folder. Is there something wrong or not available anymore?

fwharris
09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Just tried to look at files in the CNCARTGUILD Fire media files and it states that there are no files in the folder. Is there something wrong or not available anymore?

Jerry,

Just took a look and it shows a lot of files there. was there a specific folder you were looking at?

chebytrk
09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Jerry,

Just took a look and it shows a lot of files there. was there a specific folder you were looking at?

Tried it this morning and all worked great. Sorry, my bad. Must've been me or my PC (or O.H.S..... Operator Head Space)