PDA

View Full Version : QC Removal - my experience

jwshukis
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
I just removed the standard chuck in order to install a Rock Chuck. Here is my experience:

1) The Rock Chuck doesn't come with instructions. There is a youtube video and some forum postings that describe the process, but there should really be a few sheets of zerox in the Rock Chuck package.
2) I broke the "extra hard" QC removal tool from cw-parts.com in ten seconds - and I was not applying that much pressure.
3) Not wanting to spend $30 for a new removal tool (expensive shipping dcharges), I used a #3 square drive bit instead. Worked great. The secret? First, remove the two screws on top of the Z axis to enable removal of the flex shaft mounting. Second, use heat - as described in other QC removal posts on this forum and others. See below.
4) I used the techniques posted elsewhere to apply heat to the QC. When heated, it was quite easy to remove. With properly applied tin foil, the machine does not get hot at all.
5) Tinfoil technique: Wrap the Z axis in a thin damp (not wet) towel. Then wrap with several layers of tinfoil. Now add flat sheets of tinfoil from the bottom. If you looked at my machine during this process (no pictures - sorry) you'd see just a 2" long piece of steel sticking out of a flat expanse of tinfoil that stretched from one side of the machine to the other. With this setup, the "extra" heat from the blowtorch made its way out of the machine from the sides without traveling "up" to do any damage to the upper rollers and electronics. Of course I also covered the lower rollers with scrap wood covered in tinfoil. In all, it took about twelve feet of tinfoil to protect the entire machine. Aside from the chuck, nothing else even got warm.

Hexe SA
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
This was very informative. I'm waiting on another removal tool and 2nd rock chuck. Sounds I'll be trying a new chuck this weekend.

forqnc
08-01-2009, 09:30 AM
I had problems last year removing the QC, even with heat. But when I got the rock and the removal tools, it came right off no problem. It really surprised me since I was expecting a fight.