PDA

View Full Version : The Rock is becoming more popular

Rocky
07-30-2009, 06:02 AM
The photo is from the August 2009 issue of Woodworker's Journal. Notice that one picture shows the Rock. Interesting!

Jeff_Birt
07-30-2009, 07:40 AM
I think that is a different machine....

mtylerfl
07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
The photo is from the August 2009 issue of Woodworker's Journal. Notice that one picture shows the Rock. Interesting!

Better read the article;) - it's comparing the Shark with the CarveWright and the photos are of the two machines sprinkled throughout the article. That is not a Rock chuck - it's the Shark chuck.

Rocky
07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I think that is a different machine....

On closer examination, I would have to agree with you. :)

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I have the first Sears Tool Catalog that has the CW on it. They air brushed the LCD display and put COMPUCARVE in big letters in place of the normal display.

I need to Photo shop it and put "ROCK UPGRADE"....:D

AL

robbrigg2
07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi all, have a Rock and I love it. You can't do better for your machine because it really does improve quality. BUT one problem. I am one of those guys that uses a lot of different bits and the constant on again, off again, takes it's toll on the machine screw used to hold the sleeve in place. Stipped it yesterday (replaced it too...phew) but it shure would be nice to see this thing evolve into a trye chuck with a key... don't know if it's possible ROn but I for one would love it.

rjustice
07-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi all, have a Rock and I love it. You can't do better for your machine because it really does improve quality. BUT one problem. I am one of those guys that uses a lot of different bits and the constant on again, off again, takes it's toll on the machine screw used to hold the sleeve in place. Stipped it yesterday (replaced it too...phew) but it shure would be nice to see this thing evolve into a trye chuck with a key... don't know if it's possible ROn but I for one would love it.

Hi Rob,
I am really glad you like the Rock chuck.... i have a concern though... You are getting this tighter than you need too. a few quick specs.... Max torque on the screw is 120 inch lbs. (10 foot lbs). At that torque the screw is exerting 2800 pounds of clamping force on the tool shank (or the sleeve)... this is far more than what is required to keep the tool from moving. Recommended torque for this size screw is 105 inch lbs, which would exert 2450 pounds. If you replaced the screw, please make sure you use the same length that was in it, as you will throw off the balance if it is shorter or longer. Everything is balanced based on the components that come with the chuck. The lock nut is hardened, so it should have stripped the threads off the screw first, and it sounds like this is what happened... If you did damage the lock nut, send me your old one and i will replace it.
The chuck key type of chuck is not likely. It is not the right type of design for side cutting pressures, and it would not be very conducive to maintaining balance. It would also require more attention to "keeping it clean" as dust would get into the workings. ;)

Happy Carving,

Ron

rjustice
07-30-2009, 01:43 PM

Rocky,
Nice try!!! LOL... you definitely got my attention :)
Well, at least i have something to aspire for now!

Happy Carving!

Ron

robbrigg2
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Ron, thanks for the quick reply. As for getting it too tight, there were a couple of times where I did it to just right at "hand tight" and during the initialization the bit dropped out when it began to check depth on the depth gauge. It only did it with bigger bits but perhaps I am doing something wrong. EIther way, if this could use a chuck mechanism it would make a lot of people much happier, and there would be no need for sleeves, etc.

rjustice
07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Ron, thanks for the quick reply. As for getting it too tight, there were a couple of times where I did it to just right at "hand tight" and during the initialization the bit dropped out when it began to check depth on the depth gauge. It only did it with bigger bits but perhaps I am doing something wrong. EIther way, if this could use a chuck mechanism it would make a lot of people much happier, and there would be no need for sleeves, etc.

Robb,
One more note, if the tool "fell" out, then something definitely wasnt right. Just a couple reminders to all the Rock owners... Please make sure that when you put the tool into the chuck you face the flat that is ground on the tool shanks towards the hex in the clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle to tighten up the bits)... and if you are using a Rock Sleeve, point the slit, and the flat towards the hex... This ensures that you are clamping in the right spot. If you clamp on a slit you would not get nearly the clamping pressure on the tool that you should. If you clamp on a flat, you will likely kick up a burr on the lock nut and cause it to not want to clamp or release smoothly.

Thanks for your business!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
What I did to eliminate the flat spot issue is Masking Tape.... Just kidding... But I did place the 1/4 inch locking ring at a position that keeps the flat spot higher than the clamp so it takes the guess work out of it.

AL

rjustice
07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
What I did to eliminate the flat spot issue is Masking Tape.... Just kidding... But I did place the 1/4 inch locking ring at a position that keeps the flat spot higher than the clamp so it takes the guess work out of it.

AL

Hi Al,
Thanks for the picture... That will work well if you do not use the Rock Sleeves, but dont forget with the Sleeves you must point the slit to the hex in the clamp screw to gain the max clamp pressure...

Happy Carving,

Ron

geekviking
07-30-2009, 07:23 PM
the screws in the little lock rings will affect the balance of the Rock?

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't see an vibration and the ring material is removed when the hole is drilled and tapped. The set screw fills the void and is flush. Slight difference in weight with steel and aluminum but I think the allen head removes enough material that it is again balanced.

So far I am pleased with them. One did disappear from the 1/8 inch bit while cutting... Bet I find it in my dust collection next time I empty it.

AL

geekviking
07-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Al, I was wondering if they work well or not.
Sounds like they are. :D

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
I am happy with them, as it gives me something to push up on when I install them....

Took the dogs for a walk this morning and just outside the front yard in the driveway there was a 3 foot Rattle Snake crossing the driveway heading toward my shop..... One dog was on a leash and the other was loose so I did a 180 and went another way for the walk. I came back up the driveway an hour later and no sign of Ricky the Rattlesnake. I walked all around my shop this morning but no Ricky yet.... I don't feed the birds anymore so there is no bird activity. Looks like the one that was near my deck last year this time... Brother got me Knee high boots for walking....

Did I tell you I don't like Rattlesnakes... He is in a area where I have my wood piles.... That's #4 for the month.... In September they will be back in the dens giving birth... Can't wait...

AL

Kenm810
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey AL,

Any Chipmunks around you wood pile, the ones near us run on little familiar paths
when they scampered around between the shed and garage.
The Rattlers around here hide in the grass and leaves along the paths
to ambush Chip'n'Dale every chance they get.

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I have 2 Chipmunks that visit the deck..... I wonder for how long... I put new batteries in my flashlight for that walk to the house at night.....

AL

dholzric
07-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Time to fry up some rattlesnakes :)

Hey AL,

Any Chipmunks around you wood pile, the ones near us run on little familiar paths
when they scampered around between the shed and garage.
The Rattlers around here hide in the grass and leaves along the paths
to ambush Chip'n'Dale every chance they get.

Kenm810
07-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Ya, Some say it tastes a little like Chicken,
just don't expect any drum sticks. :wink:

forqnc
08-01-2009, 09:26 AM
the screws in the little lock rings will affect the balance of the Rock?

I thought the same thing, but like Al, I went ahead and used them and I have not noticed any problems and I'm happy with them

Did I tell you I don't like Rattlesnakes...

AL

Did I tell you I don't like ANY snakes, and it doesn't help with Ken posting pictures. Yeah I know some snakes are good for keeping down the rodents, but I cannot even watch them on TV. The only good snake to me is a dead one :)

robbrigg2
08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Ya, Some say it tastes a little like Chicken,
just don't expect any drum sticks. :wink:

Hey, I grew up out in the dessert in Arizona. Plenty of snakes all around. Had a friend who's father raised them (venom, skins, meat, etc). He gave a Rattlesnake cook out one summer and made snake burgers.... let me tell you, when people say it tastes like chicken they are lying through their teeth.

Maybe it was the thought, but it was defintely not KFC material. I'll keep my chicken becuase, well, I know it tastes like chicken. LOL

earlyrider
08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
What? You don't like a rack of (10,000) ribs every now and then? They are best when they're freshly skinned, they may even turn themselves over in the frying pan for you. A little butter and salt and some sauce and you're set with a rack longer than any you'd get from Tony Roma's.
Can you tell, I've been doing the Nutrasystem thing for a while- even rattlesnake seems good!:p
At some of our dino sites, we have had snake and the occasional porcupine- the ranchers don't like it if you cook one of their cows, even if you invite them!:mrgreen:
Oh, what were we talking about?
Ron

Kenm810
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
"A little butter and salt and some sauce and you're set"
Now that a good start, I once tried that Nutrasystem Thing,
by the end of the day I was ready to eat the box and wrappers they came in too!! :???:

supershingler
08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
al

are the locking collars just normal 1/4" drill bit locking collars or did you get them somewhere special.

ive been using rubber gromets but they seem to move so i seen your system and like it better

thanks

kendall

Digitalwoodshop
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I ordered them from a router bit place, can't find the invoice. They use them to lock bearings on the shaft. I may have posted the link when there was a discussion about the bit length check and refind bit length.... the sleeve solved that..... I have some rubber grommets to try too.

I was looking in the MCLS catalog for them but they only sell them in 1/2 inch for locking bearings.... Might be on line....

Chief38
08-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Found them at my local Best Hardware at about $3.00 apiece. Used on motor shafts. Work well.

Herb

Ike
08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I ordered my Rock yesterday! I think I have tapped my QC too much! It still works, but the patterns are coming out crappy. I have new bits and still lousy detail, so I deducted it must be the QC. So I bought the Rock, thanks Ron for doing this for us. I can't wait for your dust collector!

Ike

dholzric
08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
It was halfway through the body of the guitar and was making a terrible racket. I had a heck of a time getting the bit out and then could not get any bits to work after that. Good thing i just ordered a rock Friday.

How common is it for the chuck to fail? I have a bit over 100 hours carving on mine.

I ordered my Rock yesterday! I think I have tapped my QC too much! It still works, but the patterns are coming out crappy. I have new bits and still lousy detail, so I deducted it must be the QC. So I bought the Rock, thanks Ron for doing this for us. I can't wait for your dust collector!

Ike

Ike
08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
It was halfway through the body of the guitar and was making a terrible racket. I had a heck of a time getting the bit out and then could not get any bits to work after that. Good thing i just ordered a rock Friday.

How common is it for the chuck to fail? I have a bit over 100 hours carving on mine.

You it is strange for some it is very common, myself have never had any issues with my QC. Besides the poor carving of patterns lately. The letters are coming out fine, but I think it is a matter of time!

I am running my machine so I am not sure how many hours I have on the QC and motor. I imagine it is over 300 plus hours? I have had this CW for a year and a half and have one sign design that takes over 3 hours each time.

Ike

dholzric
08-01-2009, 11:59 PM
I have put over 100 hours on mine in about a month so i guess it is going out on strike :) My workshop is about 100 yards down the hill from the house and all my neighbors are far away so i try and get it carving all night when i can.