PDA

View Full Version : "Bit Problems"

SAA3840
07-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Just venting I guess, but I sure wish Designer could detect when there's going to be a problem with the depth of a bit-cut or the like. Several times I've downloaded a project onto a memory card, taken it out to the shop, loaded up the board and started a project just to have the machine tell me that there's going to be a problem doing some segment of the project and I should go redesign the mpc. What a pain in the behind.

Again, just venting. Maybe the software gurus will see this.

mtylerfl
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
In over 2½ years of using my machines, I've never seen the kind of message you described. Frankly, I don't think I could even MAKE that happen if I tried! ;)

We would have to see the mpc's in question to see if there is a perhaps design flaw in the layout, or something else in the design that is causing that... or if the layout looks ok, it might be something the programmers need to look into. In any case, without an mpc (or two) to look over, there is no solid information to investigate the matter.

Post one of the "problem" mpc's and we can take a look at it for you.

All the Best...

SAA3840
07-31-2009, 12:14 AM
OK, the mpc's that I got those messages with have been altered and run again with no problems. My gripe was that Designer couldn't tell there was going to be a problem. The machine could.
One of them was a message stating that my 1/4 roundover would have a problem cutting to the depth I programed, which I think was like 1/2". I went back in and reprogrammed it to a shallower cut and then had no problem.
Another was when I tried to route the edge of a 14.5" wide board. I can't remember what the error message was but I went back and deleted the edge-route and had no further problems there.

Jeff_Birt
07-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I know that the software guys are trying to improve the consistency between the machine tells you and what Designer tells you. When you run into a problem like this please post it here and describe the message and situation as best you can. I'll then add it to the bug swatting thread so that the SW guys will know to take a look at it.

AskBud
07-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I know that the software guys are trying to improve the consistency between the machine tells you and what Designer tells you. When you run into a problem like this please post it here and describe the message and situation as best you can. I'll then add it to the bug swatting thread so that the SW guys will know to take a look at it.

Quote: "One of them was a message stating that my 1/4 roundover would have a problem cutting to the depth I programed, which I think was like 1/2". I went back in and reprogrammed it to a shallower cut and then had no problem."

My guess is that the 1/4 Roundover will not be able to cut that deep in one pass. When the bit was selected, Designer provided a "Default" depth (which may be the MAX for that bit). When exceeding the MAX, it will take several passes.
AskBud

mtylerfl
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Too bad we couldn't have seen the original mpc's before they were altered. That could have helped a lot in nailing the issue you were having between Designer and the machine. If you run into that again, be sure to save the original mpc and make a new, separate one so you're not held up on a project. Then upload/post the original mpc for troubleshooting.