PDA

View Full Version : Edge Detection Failed 400

GSMARTIN
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Yesterday I uploaded the new software version and then went to work on a new project. Prior to this I have had no difficulties with the unit working smoothly.

When I put the new card in it originally told me that the project was bad and to delete and replace it. I did this then when I went to upload it again every thing began well until I reached the step where it began measuring the board. At this point the machine stopped and I received the following message:

Edge Detection Failed 400

I have checked the sensors by entering 0 then 7 on the key pad and rotating the sensor with my finger and the numbers change. Have rechecked this with the board in place and again the numbers change. Have cleaned the upper sensor and the edge sensor with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

cnsranch
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Couple of stupid questions -

Have you re-formatted the card?
Versions the same on the card and Designer?

GSMARTIN
07-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Appreciate the question Jerry ... Here's what I've got.
The Designer software version is (Project Design 1.150 Build 7609)
The Firmware version is 1.150.07609
I haven't reformatted the card.

After I replied to your comments I reformatted the card twice and tried it but still no success. So tried checking all the settings and reformatted again but this time got a message telling me that the card needed to be reformatted. So I did it a fourth time and the unit is now working.

Thanks again for your questions / help.

Greg

briansr
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.. ANY HELP!?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

cnsranch
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Couple of stupid questions -

Have you re-formatted the card?
Versions the same on the card and Designer?

Did you start here?

briansr
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
don't think its a firmware issue.. i was working with the machine 2 days ago without a problem (after about a couple of months parked without used.. since the flash card broke down and i had forgotten about it, and ordered one recently)

its giving me the edge detection failed when i try to load a pattern as soon as i get through the "stay under the rollers?" screen

also i get a clear board sensor when i press 7 to measure the board
checked all the sensors, and numers are moving.. the sensor is tracking when i spin it.. and "board sensor" goes from 0-16 when i lower/raise the machine itself while cranking the handle

Midge93
12-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm having the same problem now....anybody ever figure it out?

mtylerfl
12-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm having the same problem now....anybody ever figure it out?

Typical causes are...

- wood is dark (solution: put masking tape across the board so the sensor can "see")

- board sensor might be dirty/defective/bad connection

Midge93
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
So how do you recommend I clean the sensor. I took a soft paint brush and swept it off...do I need to use canned air? Should I unscrew the sensor and blow it out?

Digitalwoodshop
12-17-2009, 06:46 PM
So the question that needs to be answered first is what are the Board Detector Numbers? You could have one of the 2 LED's broken due the the QC Vibration and you don't know it...

The Standard I like to use is to place a sheet of copy paper on the board and crank down the head. The Board Detector measurement should be between 140 and 156... If NOT then it could be a bad or broken LED or just a dirty Detector Window....

I use a knife to slice down the back and remove that bump on the back of the board detector. I then slide the window out and clean it. Install it and use masking tape to seal the back again...

AL

mtylerfl
12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
So how do you recommend I clean the sensor. I took a soft paint brush and swept it off...do I need to use canned air? Should I unscrew the sensor and blow it out?

I have used both of those methods - I usually just brush it off with an old (SOFT) toothbrush.

If that did not correct the problem, dust may have gotten inside the sensor window where you can't get to it, or bad connection/bad LED, etc. Assuming that the sensor is the source of the problem, you might need to replace it. However, I recommend calling CarveWright Tech support to help you verify the source of the problem, if you have trouble figuring it out on your own, and/or if cleaning the sensor doesn't work.

DocWheeler
12-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Another thing that could cause the error is the board not being cut square. When the roller goes off the edge of the board (switch makes contact), the machine expects to find the board-edge within a certain range thereafter, if it doesn't, you get an error 400. (just like not seeing the board because it is too dark).

Jeff_M
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a new machine with 2.1 hours on it.

When attempting to carve a new project, I keep getting the "clear board sensor" message.

I have followed the instrctions and have done the following:

1. Manually cleaned the sensor lense with compressed air.

2. Manually cleaned the sensor lense with a fine, soft brush.

3. Verified sensor readings:
no wood - READING = 0
wood - READING = 112 at edge, 151 at ~1" from left edge.

This, to me, suggests there is nothing wrong with the sensor opperation.

4. Checked compression rollers operation (was a suggestion by another user with same problem) and all is OK.

5. Removed board sensor and cleaned again, re-installed, same result.

fwharris
12-30-2009, 09:38 PM

When attempting to carve a new project, I keep getting the "clear board sensor" message.

no wood - READING = 0

4. Checked compression rollers operation (was a suggestion by another user with same problem) and all is OK.

Jeff,

Can you give us a run down on your set up for the carving and at what part are you getting "clear board sensor" msg?

What type/color of wood, using a carrier board/sled/rails....

I doubt that it is the sensor but more of how things are set up for your carve..

AskBud
12-30-2009, 09:43 PM

no wood - READING = 0

Start by attaching your MPC, so we may see the project.
I could give may ideas, but knowing what the project looks like will avoid many, many false trails.

If you want to talk, on the phone, send me a private message with your #.
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
How did you 'check pressure roller operation'? With a new machine I would suggest checking that the head (part that cranks up/down) is level front to rear. They can get knocked out of kilter during shipment sometimes. The next thing to check is the down pressure of the head. For that you need to position bathroom scales inside the machine so that when you crank down the pressure rollers will come down evenly (and so you can see the display). When you crank down and hear the three clicks your scale should read #85.

polyomino
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Just had the same problem, edge sensor error 400, and discovered that Scotch Blue masking tape couldn't be spotted by the sensor. However, L'Intertape White masking tape works great.

Using dark wood.

Machine scans the width first (so I put one stripe across the board, and put it under the sensor to start). After that, it uses the lenghtwise center (so I put a second stripe the long way on the center of the board.) Plus sign, seems to work.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2011, 07:07 PM
2009 POST
Poly,

Yes, that is correct.... Blue tape can give you board detection problems.

Board Detector measures the reflective light from the board and hence dark boards give you problems.

To test the Board Detector place a sheet of white copy paper on the board and crank down. Good Reading 156 Dirty Window 90 or broken LED.

Using light colored Masking Tape works best.

This post was started in 2009.

I see this is your 3rd Post and you are Searching and READing and that is a GOOD Thing !!!!

Welcome !!!!

Be sure to check out Tips and Tricks too.

AL

unitedcases
07-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Sounds a coincidence to me of needing to clear your back roller. Loosen the screws on the keypad side and get the compacted dust out of there.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Like HE said too.... Dust in the roller plate... I made a big post on that with pictures.

AL