PDA

View Full Version : Broken bits @#%#&#

Bagpiper
07-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Well I have broken 3 cutter bits before adjusting the head it was not parallel to the belts. Now I just broke another I bit and I am getting very tired of spending more money, I am using masking tape on the brass wheel side and I am just trying to carve the round sundries box I saw on the CarveWright web site, do I need a new chuck? firmware version 1.134
please help I'm getting angry, and this is fun?@$#@&#*^%^ thanks again

FINGERS
07-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi bagpiper I see your new here welcome, is your machine new, if it is you should be calling the boys at LHR or carvewright for tec suport.

Bagpiper
07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
yes, I'm new and machine is new,but I'm not to sure about the support from carvewright, I have left many messages about other issues and not received a lot of support in a timely fashion, so I figure with all the knowledge out here, I would take a stab at fixing the problems myself

Thanks

hess
07-29-2009, 12:51 AM
yes, I'm new and machine is new,but I'm not to sure about the support from carvewright, I have left many messages about other issues and not received a lot of support in a timely fashion, so I figure with all the knowledge out here, I would take a stab at fixing the problems myself

Thanks

BP could check your bits and make sure adapters are not going loose. this will eat a bit right now. Are your bit in the adapter far enough?

If you want to prevent more bad feeling between you and the unit check out the stuff about the ROCK here and more at the site listed below my sig

I know you just spent a SL of $ but this chuck set up will make you day

bjbethke
07-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Well I have broken 3 cutter bits before adjusting the head it was not parallel to the belts. Now I just broke another I bit and I am getting very tired of spending more money, I am using masking tape on the brass wheel side and I am just trying to carve the round sundries box I saw on the CarveWright web site, do I need a new chuck? firmware version 1.134
If you have broken 4 of the 1/8" cutting bits, your bits are not locked in right. Saw dust can be a big problem. The red lines are not locking right. Loose screws on the adapters or adapters are getting damaged. That will also damage your QC. This little drive motor puts out about one horse power. If something causes things not to lock up tight, all hell can break loose on that QC, and its adapters and the screws, next thing goes is the bit. Sorry that is the nature of this machine, ONE thing that really helped me was watching what this machine really does. There is a lot of info on this forum of how this works. I think it takes about a year to get to know this great machine. Read through the entrees, the people that have posted lots of entrees some of them put out lot of un-usefully data, but they are still good reads. Some are really great. I have faith in you it takes time. Welcome to the forum. BJB

rlane10347
07-29-2009, 06:26 AM

Take the back cover of the y and z servo motors and check that the encoder disk is tight on the shaft and in the center of the sensor slot. If it spins on the shaft put a drop of locktight in the center hole of the encoder disk to lock the encoder to the shaft. This made the erratic motion of the y and z movement more stable and stopped the breaking of the cutter bits.

Bagpiper
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Ok it's a new day, I have checked the bits depth and the bit holder and screws that doesn't seem to be the problem, I tried to move the QC to see if there was any run out, it seem ok, I will check the sensor next, and probably order a rock chuck, anything else I can do?

Thanks to everyone who has responded

mtylerfl
07-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Also responded to your same question you posted at the following thread in case that may be helpful...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12210

Bagpiper
07-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Well the carving bit is seated in the chuck ie the red lines, I have carved nine projects and haven't broke a carving bit?, the wood is soft maple with max cut of .250, I used tape on the board for the brass wheel, the board is dry and flat and 7" longer than called for to stat under the rollers. The guide plate was set with a business card between the stock and guide bar. It seems to me the speed of the x system is fast? but I don't know, I will check the x and y sensors? Help

Thanks guys

Frederick_P
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
What quality setting are you using? My understanding (maybe wrong) is that the higher the quality setting, the smaller "nibbles" the machine takes per pass. Did you use bit optimization in your pattern layout? Perhaps the machine is simply trying to take too big a bite? It may be related to the pattern itself. Maybe upload the project file so the experts can have a peek.

newcarver
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
do what i did and dont use 1.134, I will only use 1.120. Had horrible luck with all aspects of 1.130 and above.

mtylerfl
07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
do what i did and dont use 1.134, I will only use 1.120. Had horrible luck with all aspects of 1.130 and above.

I had no problems cutting full-pass 3/4" Select Pine all the way up through version 1.132. I never updated to 1.134, but went straight into 1.150. Just did a project yesterday with 28"x9" irregular outline cutouts (full-pass) on two boards. No problem.

It sounds like Bagpiper is doing everything right as far as his end of things. One more thing to check...make sure the outfeed trays are adjusted exactly flat with the bottom of the board. When I run projects 36" or less with 3/4" stock, I lower the outfeeds so they don't touch the board at all. I have even "pushed my luck" and ran a few projects that were 4 feet in length without the outfeeds touching the board.

I had a customer call me about a year ago - he had z-errors and was breaking cutting bits fairly regularly. Took about three phone conversations before I thought of the outfeed trays. He lowered them out of the way - that seemed to fix his problem. Apparently the board was being "bumped" and was the cause of both issues.

Bagpiper
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, I will check the outfeed trays tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they don't quite touch,and someone said to check the y and z servo motor encoder disk so I'll do that also. As for my pattern optimization it is set at (best). I may need to change my firmware I guess? I also e-mailed LHR support. I think I will order a rock chuck also.

Thanks all

liquidguitars
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I may need to change my firmware I guess?

1. you could try to drop back to 1.113. or try 1.150
2. change the max pass setting to .50" on all cuts.
3. check any design that you run even if its a commercial patten you could need adjust it for the type of wood used.

max depth passes for 1/8" cutting bit

soft pine .50"
hard maple .30"
soft maple .50"
oak .30"
hard pine .50"

LG

Bagpiper
07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok, the y and z servo encoder disk is secure and centered on the axle. The outfeed tables are 1/8 below the work surface. I checked the chuck system and how I was installing the bits and it seems fine, I ordered a rock chuck with 2 extra square drive adapters, and I guess I will change my firmware to 1.150? anybody else have an idea?

Thanks all