PDA

View Full Version : Help question about head space

Bagpiper
07-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey all, I have a problem with a carving being not as deep on the far side away from the key pad and normal on the key pad side, so I measured the Y axis bar to the sand paper belts and came up with a 1/4" different, is this normal? Then I measured the carrier and found the same? I have recalibrated the machine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

DocWheeler
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Bagpiper,

To level the head, you will have to take the bottom off the machine and take one end of the shaft loose so the gear can be meshed properly. There are threads about this, but it will be obvious once you see it.
There is a rod that transfers the rotation of the height adjustment from front to back.

eromran
07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey all, I have a problem with a carving being not as deep on the far side away from the key pad and normal on the key pad side, so I measured the Y axis bar to the sand paper belts and came up with a 1/4" different, is this normal? Then I measured the carrier and found the same? I have recalibrated the machine.
Any help would be greatly appreciatedNo its not normal. I think this will help go to this link http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=2073 then to post 17 and download the first PDf in that post its (CarveWright Service Adjust vertical rods) It will explain how to adjust the head and make it level.

Bagpiper
07-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, I adjusted the rods as per instructed and it moved about an 1/8" to the better and I adjusted the vertical threaded rod to tie rod via the gears and all is level now thanks guys, but I have broken 3 cutter bits before this adjustment and I just broke another I am getting very tired of spending more money, I am using masking tape on the brass wheel side and I am just trying to carve the round sundries box I saw on the CarveWright web site do I need a new chuck?
please help I'm getting angry.

mtylerfl
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello bagpiper,

Sorry to hear you are having such bad luck!

As long as you are sure you've got the head adjusted, just check to make sure your bits are fully seated in the chuck (mirror/flashlight/make sure red marks line up).

You may not have any of the following conditions, but some other common factors that may contribute to bit breakage are: board too short (leaves rollers during project run), bad wood (warped, twisted, wet), feed through bind (guide plate too tight), etc...

If one of us was there to see what's going on, we could be a little more helpful! Next best thing...call Tech Support and have them help you over the phone while at your machine.

...wish you weren't having trouble...hope it gets better soon