PDA

View Full Version : Help in design

Ike
07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
I have been trying to design a spoke wheel. That the CW will cut out the whole thing. I have an example and it is simple, but I can get the center to cut out without removing the spokes. This is what I have and what I would like if I is possible?

I hope I am stating what I want clear enough? Basically the inside cut out leaving the spokes.

Ike

AskBud
07-28-2009, 07:20 AM
I have been trying to design a spoke wheel. That the CW will cut out the whole thing. I have an example and it is simple, but I can get the center to cut out without removing the spokes. This is what I have and what I would like if I is possible?

I hope I am stating what I want clear enough? Basically the inside cut out leaving the spokes.

Ike

Ike,
I see 1" stock and version 1.15.
Do you want the same thing on both sides? If so try a 2 sided carve using just the "Wheel-2" pattern.. Be careful as you have your spokes inset by 1/2 inch and a 2 sided carve will wipe them out on 1" wood. Your inner circle is also set at 1/2", that will need changed as well. If the Back side is flat the above does not apply. It could be a single sided pattern on 3/4" stock.

If thicker, it will be a 2 sided project and you may need to make your own tabs for the outer circle. The outer circle needs to change to a carved line rather than a cut-out.

You are almost correct. The "cut-out" should be the empty area between the spokes.

I set up one "Connected Line" Right triangle and then changed the "Form" on the outer leg to an Arc and made it conform to the inner circle. I then made it a Carve Region and used the "Pierce" Icon.

I hope I made this reply clear enough for you.
AskBud

AskBud
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
So far, I have not found how to place tabs on Ike's outer wheel cut, can someone enlighten me?
AskBud

bjbethke
07-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Ike
Is this what you are looking for?

HighTechOkie
07-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

Rob

hotpop
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Bud,

Tabs won't work to hold the scrap pieces in place on a two sided project since they get cut off when then second side starts cutting. What you need to do is place some small rectangles say 1/4" X 1" across the cutting path. Select region on each rectangle then set the depth to 0.00. You need to do the same thing on the opposite side at the exact locations as the other side.

Ike
07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
BJ and Rob yes that is what I am looking for, thank you! I had a brain fart, I didn't think of just overlapping the spokes into the wheel to keep it attached.

Bud sorry I don't think we are on the same page. I not looking for a 2 sided project I and designing a wheel barrel planter project and was simply trying to keep the spokes as one cut from the board. Rather then cutting the wheel and attaching the spokes after.

Ike

AskBud
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Bud,

Tabs won't work to hold the scrap pieces in place on a two sided project since they get cut off when then second side starts cutting. What you need to do is place some small rectangles say 1/4" X 1" across the cutting path. Select region on each rectangle then set the depth to 0.00. You need to do the same thing on the opposite side at the exact locations as the other side.

I understand the method of assigning rectangles/circles to make my tabs in the various versions. The question is,"How do I get the TAB Option to activate on version 1.15" What situation/setting does it apply to? So far, I have not see anything that it works on. What am I missing?Tab Option
AskBud

AskBud
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
BJ and Rob yes that is what I am looking for, thank you! I had a brain fart, I didn't think of just overlapping the spokes into the wheel to keep it attached.

Bud sorry I don't think we are on the same page. I not looking for a 2 sided project I and designing a wheel barrel planter project and was simply trying to keep the spokes as one cut from the board. Rather then cutting the wheel and attaching the spokes after.

Ike

Sorry Ike,
From your original post, I presumed that you wanted the spokes inset, and it appeared that you might be thinking of a 2sided carve as well.
AskBud

Ike
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Sorry Ike,
From your original post, I presumed that you wanted the spokes inset, and it appeared that you might be thinking of a 2sided carve as well.
AskBud

No Bud just want a wheel the inside of the spokes can be cut out using the CW. I am coming up with wheel barrel planter project I hope to sell. The wheel is strictly for looks so the front will look the same as the back. It will be able to move, but not for using as a wooden wheel barrel.

I will post the final results soon

Ike

Kenm810
07-28-2009, 05:58 PM
hummm --- than ya defiantly don't need this one :razz:

Running Ver1.34 on this Pc and didn't see your sample files.

bjbethke
07-29-2009, 12:26 AM
No Bud just want a wheel the inside of the spokes can be cut out using the CW. I am coming up with wheel barrel planter project I hope to sell. The wheel is strictly for looks so the front will look the same as the back. It will be able to move, but not for using as a wooden wheel barrel.

Ike
Ike planters are great. I found in AR you need to haul your garden in. In the hills where I live it is all rocks, it's called CHAT. Most of the summers here it does not rain for over a month at a time. This is a planter you may need to add water only once ever other week.

It is a take apart unit, long side 17 inches - short side 13 inches. The plastic tub was from Wal-Mart $2.00 each. All joints are loose dove tailed. 12 inches high - Cedar boards.

Ike
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Ike planters are great. I found in AR you need to haul your garden in. In the hills where I live it is all rocks, it's called CHAT. Most of the summers here it does not rain for over a month at a time. This is a planter you may need to add water only once ever other week.

It is a take apart unit, long side 17 inches - short side 13 inches. The plastic tub was from Wal-Mart $2.00 each. All joints are loose dove tailed. 12 inches high - Cedar boards.

BJ, my Dad makes redwood wishing wells and wine barrel fountains and small planters. He is making a wheel barrel and I thought what a great project idea. I am at a fair with my shop so my CW is there. But I have the plans just about done.

I have used planters for veggies and other plants myself! Thank you again for your help and everybody else too. Like I said, I had a brain fart! My mind has been preoccupied with my new Grandson!

Ike

mtylerfl
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Ike

Hey Ike,

Believe it or not, I had planned a Wheelbarrow Planter project too - but ended up doing the Herb Planter instead for that month!

(I'll cross the Wheelbarrow one off my list!)

Can't wait to see yours!

Ike
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey Ike,

Believe it or not, I had planned a Wheelbarrow Planter project too - but ended up doing the Herb Planter instead for that month!

(I'll cross the Wheelbarrow one off my list!)

Can't wait to see yours!

Lol I believe it Michael! I bet my won't be as good as yours, but I will give a whirl! I really wanted to help my Dad with his wheels, he cuts them by hand and ...well they are almost round! Plus he just started making them and they look great, but he has not got the angles down yet.

Don't cross your plan off just yet, but thank you for putting it on the back burner. Oh thank you for correcting my other brain fart, wheel barrow not wheel barrel!

Ike

hotpop
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Bud asked,
I understand the method of assigning rectangles/circles to make my tabs in the various versions. The question is,"How do I get the TAB Option to activate on version 1.15" What situation/setting does it apply to? So far, I have not see anything that it works on. What am I missing?Tab Option
AskBud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bud,

New Tab Option:
Draw a line across any opening. Highlight it then pick on the new Tab Option. You will get a new on screen box with tab options (width and height). That's it. You can pick multiple lines also.

hotpop
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Bud asked,
AskBud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bud,

New Tab Option:
Draw a line across any opening. Highlight it then pick on the new Tab Option. You will get a new box on screen box with tab options (width and height). That's it. You can pick multiple lines also.

AskBud
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Bud,

New Tab Option:
Draw a line across any opening. Highlight it then pick on the new Tab Option. You will get a new box on screen box with tab options (width and height). That's it. You can pick multiple lines also.

Thanks, AskBud