PDA

View Full Version : cut motor stops during carve

jcorder
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
OK, I tried to search and I am having no luck. I have not run the machine for a couple weeks. Came down to carve tonight and started with a stuck back roller issue. Took the machine apart and cleaned it completely again and got that freed up. About two minutes into the carve, the cut motor started running real jerky and then it shut off. The machine thought the motor was still running and was dragging the bit over the wood. If I hit stop and then start it again, it will run and then quit again. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Steven Alford
07-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Check the plugs just under the top hood of the machine, directly over the cut motor (back right hand corner). One of these connectors may be loose.

PCW
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Might also check the right side cut motor switch opposite of the keypad side at the lid.

jcorder
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I checked the wires and all seem fine. The motor seems to speed up and slow down before it stops. It will restart each time and run a few seconds and then stop again.

fwharris
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I checked the wires and all seem fine. The motor seems to speed up and slow down before it stops. It will restart each time and run a few seconds and then stop again.

Jeff,

You might check the brushes in the cut motor. They could be worn down.

Also, are you getting any error messages?

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I was having a NO Start or NO Spin Up after Bit Change.... I would lift the lid and thump on the top of the Cut Motor to help the brushes.... Would run just fine for another hour.... Same again....

Today I changed the brushes and that took care of the problem. Did a clean and lube on the machine and it ran GREAT.... Was the last set of brushes... Need to order more... About 250 hours on a set of brushes. I have a whole jar of short brushes...

The Brushes have a Tether and that is why the problem, the brush can't reach the commutator.

Right Cover Switch could be dirty or the C1 Cap is loose on the X Termination Board.

AL

Pratyeka
07-28-2009, 06:24 AM
I was having a NO Start or NO Spin Up after Bit Change.... I would lift the lid and thump on the top of the Cut Motor to help the brushes.... Would run just fine for another hour.... Same again....

Today I changed the brushes and that took care of the problem. Did a clean and lube on the machine and it ran GREAT.... Was the last set of brushes... Need to order more... About 250 hours on a set of brushes. I have a whole jar of short brushes...

The Brushes have a Tether and that is why the problem, the brush can't reach the commutator.

Right Cover Switch could be dirty or the C1 Cap is loose on the X Termination Board.

AL

Two questions: Are these brushes ordered from LHR or somewhere else?
And, since you have extras, could you give us their dimensions? they should be standard and I can probably find a place that carries them.

jcorder
07-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys, is there a pdf on removal of the cut motor? I only have 154 hours on the machine, so I guess it could be the brushes. I have been receiving a check cut motor off and on for a while. LHR told me to hit enter and keep going.

Thanks again
Jeff

jcorder
07-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Is the C1 cap the orange one?

AL

jcorder
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I pulled the cover and looked at the top set of brushes, it appears there is between 1/2 and 3/4 inch of brush there, so I don't think that is the issue. I cleaned all switches and checked wires and all appear to be ok. I tried running the project again and it seems to stop in the same place every time. The machine does not know the head has stopped spinning and it tries to drag the bit over the pattern. Waiting on a call back from LHR.

Jeff

PCW
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Jeff,

See Al's post #5.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10471&highlight=C1+capacitor

jcorder
07-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Dan,
I will pull the bottom off and check that. I was hoping for a return call from LHR but I am sure they are busy.

Thanks
Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
07-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting the link to a past post on the C1. Was painting signs last night until 3:30 AM. Deliver Day today and Visit the VA Doc for my 6 month tune up so I am just catching up.

I don't have any good brushes to measure but I did search Carbon Brush companies last year but couldn't find a match..... I have ordered the brushes from LHR in the past. Don't remember the price.....

AL

Here are some posts that are a year old or older on the cut motor. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4274&highlight=cut+motor+brushes

jcorder
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Al thanks for the response. I know the late night thing and it sure catches up more than it did a few years ago. Hope the checkup went well. When LHR calls, I will try and get an idea of the length the brushes should be, these seemed pretty long, but then again, not sure how long they are new. If I find an answer to that, I will be sure and post it.

Thanks again
Jeff

jcorder
07-29-2009, 04:16 PM

AL

Al you were right on with the cover switch. The lid is not keeping it compressed. So until I get a chance to get a new switch or try and reposition this one, I just put a piece of tape on the tip of the cover portion that holds it in to make it a bit longer and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

I also spoke with LHR and that was the first thing they came up with as well...You and Robert at support were on the same page!

Thanks again
Jeff