PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Head Pressure?

hotpop
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Just replaced my board sensor but still get a sendor error. Readings over the board are 154 and 0 past the edge. I read someplace that if the head pressure is to low, it can also cause a board sensor error. My head pressure will only go up to 79 lbs. I believe the recommended pressure is 85 lbs. There are two shim washers on the crank handle now.

Without adding more shim washers is there another way to increase the head pressure?

DocWheeler
07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
hotpop,

The only things that I can recall are to make sure that the head is level (less binding on the posts) and that the corner posts are clean and lightly greased (lithium grease I think).

Also if I recall correctly, I think you can squeak by with 60 pounds or so of pressure - so you should really be okay. Not sure why you are getting the error unless you have a short somewhere. Maybe that Al fellow can say more!

Kenm810
07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Just for good measure, check to see if your pressure roller switches
are opening and closing properly and not hung-up in the front or back.

hotpop
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Ken and Ken,

Thanks for the feed back.

I did relube the posts with dry lube. The head cranks all the way to the bottom without binding. I'll check the roller switches tomorrow.

I'll let you know if I figure it out.

DocWheeler
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Mel,

I found the dry lube to have a build-up that caused problems.

hotpop
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I checked the roller switches today. I can hear them clicking when I push up on the rollers. The only thing else I can think of is to drop the rollers and look for sawdust.

I really think I'm not getting enough pressure.

I'll call LHR tomorrow perhaps I need some crank handle washers or something to increase the head pressure.

forqnc
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Check this thread out Hotpop, I had a bunch of frustration problems last weekend. One was the Head pressure, I fixed it by spraying some lubrication into the handle/Clutch, (removed the handle and sprayed between the washers) brought my pressure right to 80lbs which is the recommended setting.

Good Luck

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12103

hotpop
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I talked with LHR yesterday. I explained what was happening with clear sensor message and that I was receiving a error 400. Apparently there are several things that can cause an error 400 and in some cases very difficult to track down.

There were many suggestions, the ones I can remember are to check if the brass roller rotates freely. Check the Y track for any roughness and add a little 3 in 1 oil to the tracks. Look for pinched sensor wires. Check the sandpaper belts and make sure that an 1/8" of the rollers are exposed towards front of the machine. My right side belt only had about 1/16" exposure and the left belt was 0. I took off the belt assemblies and noticed the belts were starting to curl in built guides, located on the bottom. I removed, reversed and centered the belts.
None of that seemed to make a difference. I still got the clear sensor error 400. So what the heck I thought I would try some calibrations. During the recal the cutter decided to come down to the board and stall. I cranked up the head and found the Z motor frozen. So was the Z motor trying to tell me there was a problem and gave me the error 400? I hope that is the case. I have a new Z motor on the way.

LHR spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone and had many suggestions. I really appreciate their patience.

BTW: I forgot to as LHR about this.
The machine now calls for a 1/8" cutting bit during the calibration. I was using the 3/8" jointing bit as mentioned in the owners manual. Comments?

forqnc
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
BTW: I forgot to as LHR about this.
The machine now calls for a 1/8" cutting bit during the calibration. I was using the 3/8" jointing bit as mentioned in the owners manual. Comments?

Thanks for this info Hotpop, I have never ran the calibration procedure and was hoping not to have to buy a 3/8" bit just for that purpose.